Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

The Revenant STILL Doesn't Wear Pants

Avoozl said:

The Revenant went from shooting fireballs to shooting mini-rockets throughout the games, I wonder why they chose to change it that way since Doom 3.

I was under the impression he always shot rockets or missles (homing)

Avoozl said:

The Revenant went from shooting fireballs to shooting mini-rockets throughout the games, I wonder why they chose to change it that way since Doom 3.

Weren't they always rockets?

Naturally there are idiots saying "wtf this isn't fallout 4" all over the place.. I responded to one guy and was like, dude, we haven't had a new Doom game in 11 years, you assholes can wait.. He responded with "the last Doom was made in 2012, that's not 11 years".. Fuck, people are so ignorant it hurts. Adding a flashlight =/= Making a brand new game.

Avoozl said:

The Revenant went from shooting fireballs to shooting mini-rockets throughout the games,

Doom 2 revenant's "fireball" is actually supposed to be a rocket. See the brownish dot in the middle of it, and if you look closely, you will notice it is an edit of standard flying rocket.

Doomkid said:

Naturally there are idiots saying "wtf this isn't fallout 4" all over the place.. I responded to one guy and was like, dude, we haven't had a new Doom game in 11 years, you assholes can wait.. He responded with "the last Doom was made in 2012, that's not 11 years".. Fuck, people are so ignorant it hurts. Adding a flashlight =/= Making a brand new game.

Yeah, Fallout fans come across as extremely rude and disrespectful.

Aside from that, 730000 views for a 4 second trailer is not bad.

Jon said:

Inevitable obscene over-thinking of a 2 second clip. I like RPS take on it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/18/here-isnt-two-seconds-of-doom-footage/

So confident are Bethesda in the frothing excitement for a fifth instalment in the series

Fifth?

Doom, Doom II, Doom 3, Doom the Fifth. Okay.

See what happens, Bethesda, when you get rid of the numeral? By calling it "Doom" instead of "Doom 4", gaming pseudo-journalists get confused.

scifista42 said:

Doom 2 revenant's "fireball" is actually supposed to be a rocket.

Do you have any sources of information for this?

The fact that it's called a fireball upon the death message clearly suggests it was supposed to be a fireball, as for the sprite they may have just been lazy and simply edited it, or it could be that they originally were going to make it a rocket and decided to make it a fireball instead.

grutsch said:

Here is a german link with a video containing scenes from the discontinued Version of doom (aka CoD = Call of Doom).
http://www.xboxdynasty.de/DOOM/Video-mit-spektakulaeren-Szenen-aus-dem-eingestellten-DOOM,news,44233.html

No wonder they scrapped that. Lol that really was Call Of Doom, wtf. I like how they took the flesh from Doom2 and spread it all over his body instead of just his legs. I'm more interested in the background.

Avoozl said:

The fact that it's called a fireball upon the death message clearly suggests it was supposed to be a fireball, as for the sprite they may have just been lazy and simply edited it, or it could be that they originally were going to make it a rocket and decided to make it a fireball instead.

Well, I've only based my assumption on the colour of the fireball. It's gray/brown-ish in the center, which is not how fireballs are typically depicted, but the appearance roughly fits a (ugh, spherical) rocket in motion.

I've always thought it was a rocket on fire, a fireball wouldn't hope and then make explodey sounds. Unless it's magic.

Doomkid said:

Naturally there are idiots saying "wtf this isn't fallout 4" all over the place..

I think it's some sort of stupid meme joke by now, honestly. They're doing it because they think they're funny.

Gez said:

Doom, Doom II, Doom 3, Doom the Fifth. Okay.

Well, I think they're counting Final Doom. But that's still retarded because what about Doom 64, what about the phone RPG games? By their logic this should be Doom 8.

Like some horrible NES bootleg or something.

I've always thought it was a rocket. The sound effect sounds much like a rocket launch would, to me.

The jetpack is too big, it doesn't look like something a skinny and (physically)weak skeleton would carry. And the revenant should have flesh only at the center, not on his feet, hands and head.

The horns on the cyberdemon are too vertical. He needs to have his eyes obscured by his horns so you think his nostrils are his eyes. He must also be the exact same shade of tan or riot.

Where is Rayman 4, Bethesda Soft?

joe-ilya said:

The jetpack is too big, it doesn't look like something a skinny and (physically)weak skeleton would carry. And the revenant should have flesh only at the center, not on his feet, hands and head.

WHOA WHOA WHOA... back the 'friggin truck up.

Skinny? Weak?

How would you even come to such a conclusion? Dude's enchanted hellspawn.... not just any conventional cadavare laying around. I'm taking some serious offense to that post.

Buckshot said:

WHOA WHOA WHOA... back the 'friggin truck up.

Skinny? Weak?

How would you even come to such a conclusion? Dude's enchanted hellspawn.... not just any conventional cadavare laying around. I'm taking some serious offense to that post.

Not to mention that the original monster is actually described as being really strong. I mean I have probably been punched to death more often by these things than I have been killed by the rockets.

hardcore_gamer said:

I have probably been punched to death more often by [revenants] than I have been killed by the rockets.

You haven't played enough challenge oriented maps. Such maps typically take advantage of revenant's homing ranged attack, from moderate to excessive amounts of revenant rockets chasing the player over open areas. Revenants also have a habit to treacherously shoot back if you inflict pain to them.

That'd be badass if the revenant's infighting with another monster. I can't quit watching the .gif.

I don't think the revenant is strong because he doesn't look strong, no muscles, and his punches are strong probably because they're numb, look how he flings them in the classic doom punch process.

Avoozl said:

In the Doom 2 beta, they shoot homing rockets

Avoozl said:

Obituary messages are a source port addition and didn't exist in the original game, so we can't glean any authorial intent from them.

Avoozl said:

In addition to what essel said, the manual says something along the lines of "You wish your rockets could do what his can".

esselfortium said:

Obituary messages are a source port addition and didn't exist in the original game, so we can't glean any authorial intent from them.

That sound you're hearing from hundreds of miles away is my head hitting the wall repeatedly >_<

Avoozl said:

Doom doesn't have death messages, Source ports added them.

Anyway. I really like the revenant. It really makes me think of the Deadites from Evil Dead and that is totally awesome.