Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

We gotta figure out what those Russians are doing.

DooM_RO said:

This is pure crap. If I wanted to see brown I'd stare at my shitter.

If I want to see brown, I just play Doom II.

I'm just brainstorming here, but I do get the feeling that this abortion should be laid at Hollenshead's feet.

The game started development with a second team while Rage was still being made by id Software's A Team, right? Even after that game was released, the A Team was working on Rage 2 Preproduction with Willits as Creative Director.

Hollenshead must have overlooked the hiring and staffing of this "B Team" which were in charge of making Doom 4. Who ended up being Lead Designer of that version of Doom 4? John Mulkey, Lead Designer of Aliens: Colonial Marines, another bland FPS that was entrenched in development hell for YEARS.

All these rumors of mismanagement seems to carry some weight, considering time of development AND Hollenshead's departure presumably around the time of scrapping the latest version of the game.

When your Technical Director needs to stand up and give a speech about what the key points of Doom are to your creative team, there is a serious problem. It's obvious to me there was a huge rift in philosophy between these two teams, leading to the destruction of "Team B" and Bethesda having to step in and make them refocus on a single game and scrap both Doom 4 AND Rage 2.

Is there any indication that this isn't just a hoax? As far as "leaked" videos and images go, they couldn't get any more generic than that. They could've easily come from any (not so) modern shooter.

Maes said:

Is there any indication that this isn't just a hoax?

Kotaku apparently confirmed it.

Linguica said:

Kotaku apparently confirmed it.

TheMionicDonut said:

Considering that the characters and environments in that footage matches the leaks from a while back, the glassdoor reviews, that one article someone did on Doom 4's development hell detailing a storyline of a post-apocalyptic uprising against the forces of hell released by more than one inside source, the fact that they came from the demo reel of Doom 4's cinematic director, who also has (or had) concept art featuring a resistance fighter standing in front of the UAC's destroyed headquarters, another picture of that same resistance fighter titled "hades" and a storyboard titled "doom4," the fact that one of the characters in that footage has a UAC logo on his back, and knowledge from a couple people I'd rather not name, I'm pretty confident this is genuine.

that's look more like the movie than anything else, with maybe a vìstupid virus, as usual

GoatLord said:

I swear I saw a leaked screen that had a direct Doom reference hidden somewhere in the background.

Sure it looks a lot like COD etc, but I don't think there is enough to go on to say that it was going to be bad and such.

That looks really boring. The footage looks like it could be from any other modern shooter. Story is a very important aspect in modern games, but I hope they atleast keep it as non intrusive as possible (something like in Doom 3), although I doubt they'd do that. Everything looks monocrome, and it feels like it's trying to hard to be serious and deep.
There's still hope that the gameplay might be good though. I don't expect it to control like the old Doom or Quake, but I expect an early-halo approach in the very least.

Piper Maru said:

Was there ever any images of the monsters released?

Not that I know of. The closest to that is probably the maledict-looking things in that one storyboard.

Wow, this was so much more awful than I could have ever imagined. The Doom 3 song playing over the trailer made me laugh out loud. So completely out of context... this isn't even remotely close to being a Doom game. Why was the Doom developing side of id software allowed to work on this garbage for so long? Did seriously no one else at id step in to supervise and say "wow, this isn't Doom at all. This is shit." Oh wait, they did - AFTER Rage was released. Just, wow... glad the new "Doom" project looks to be taking a more correct direction.

Vermil said:

Sure it looks a lot like COD etc, but I don't think there is enough to go on to say that it was going to be bad and such.

That scene reeks of "let's show those demons who's boss" Hollywood cliché. I don't see why would you include that in a Doom game, unless you don't know what you're doing.

hfc2x said:

That scene reeks of "let's show those demons who's boss" Hollywood cliché. I don't see why would you include that in a Doom game, unless you don't know what you're doing.

There's a nice big chainsaw in the background.

Death Metal 2000 said:

What the hell is with all of the games nowadays being brown and grey? We now have 32-bit colours, but we don't take advantage of that. All we get is 32 shades of grey, lel.

You seem to be living in the mid/late 00s.

Linguica said:

That guitar in the background fucking made my night.

Honestly though, it IS a shame that all this work is just going down the pooper. Obviously I'm VERY glad this generic lookin' stuff didn't end up as Doom 4, but If they released everything they had and literally titled it "Generic FPS" I think it would not only sell somewhat well but serve to prove a point about the pop-hit FPS wave that we're still (sadly) riding.

Strange how a 3 second video can leave so much more of an impression than this wave of screenshots and a 20+ second video..

DooM_RO said:

but it looks boring...

IMX said:

Hey, just like Downtown!

hfc2x said:

http://i.imgur.com/TporQuS.png

Is that supposed to be Crash or something?

And it is a really weird scene for a Doom game. The classic games sort of reinforced a tone of steadfast extermination and submission to fate, to have to kill the demons forever and eventually live in hell.

If anything a serious interpretation of Doom would just be bizarre surreal horror, not Hunger Games with an oppressive demon government.

McDonald's was cool with having their franchise in the background of a M rated game? I hope there will be a happy meal tie in. If they were in the game, did they have to pay to be in the game and if they paid to be in the game, will they still find a way into Doom 2016 or were they just given their money back and then some for wasting their time?

Jaxxoon R said:

Is that supposed to be Crash or something?

And it is a really weird scene for a Doom game. The classic games sort of reinforced a tone of steadfast extermination and submission to fate, to have to kill the demons forever and eventually live in hell.

If anything a serious interpretation of Doom would just be bizarre surreal horror, not Hunger Games with an oppressive demon government.

Yeah, that's the point. The game is called DOOM.

Here is my idea for the story:

As the UAC experiments with teleportation technology they find that besides teleportation, this technology has strange, seemingly random side effects.

At one point, one of the test subjects is an extremely paranoid religious fanatic. He steps into the the teleportation pad and this time the side effect is that his deepest fear, the fear of hell is manifested. This way, Id could explain why their version of hell looks the way it does and why there are pentagrams and inverted crosses everywhere.

Up to this point there had been no hell, no heaven and everyone is stunned by this. The fact that this technology creates this dimension is proof of no afterlife and proof of the meaninglessness of existence. Since this is Hell, the demons not only want to kill everyone but they also want to bind their souls (counsciousnes) to hell forever.

Eventually, news reaches Earth (along side the demon invasion of E2) and humanity not only wages a desperate and hopeless war against the demons but also fear the inevitability of an eternity of torture (since there is no heaven).

The plan is to have the Doomguy infiltrate Hell and destroy it. However things get even more complicated because a crazy cult tha worships the demons and drug themselves with demon blood arises. These people are shaken by the non-existence of God but find a new, perverse sense of hope in this new, guaranteed afterlife. To them it doesn;t matter that they are going to suffer for eternity. To them, non-existence is far worse than eternal torment so you become their number one enemy.

Eventually the Doomguy destroys hell but things do not look good for humanity. Their world is in tatters as a result of the invasion and people lose hope because there is solid proof of the non-existence of God. So no matter what you do, humanity is Doomed...one way or another.

It would be very interesting to play Doom in an atheist setting.

I think the story of TNT: Evilution had demons arriving on spaceship from beyond Jupiter. They could have crashed.... I guess. Those dang demons arrive out of portals, from hell and all sorts of tricky places.

Shaviro said:

Then you must be colorblind :)

Seriously, games today have plenty of issues. A lack of color is not one of them.

Far Cry is certainly colourful, Wolfenstein: the New Order IS NOT. It's almost exclusively grey with some red Nazi flags, the only exception being the train scene.

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1536/15366587/2534685-wmplayer+2014-05-18+20-14-17-35.jpg

Advanced Warfare: http://www.hardwarepal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/COD-AW-1920x1080-Screenshot.jpg

Before you act like a complete dickhead to someone, do more research. A lot of games today are grey, and if they're not grey they're exclusively using one set of hues instead of taking advantage of multiple themes.

Titanfall: http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Titanfall-5.jpg

Only thing other than grey is some faded/almost non-coloured models.

Watch Dogs: http://geektech.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/watch-dogs.png

Dark/faded colours, grey being the most primarily used. Looks drab and depressing, no wonder I felt like shit after playing this game.

Skyrim has a pretty faded look in some cities as well: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141015075047/elderscrolls/images/2/23/Windhelm_Skyrim.png

I'm voting this to be the most generic footage I've ever saw!

Pseudo-Cinematic's are always a sign of bad gameplay (greetings to every modern FPS)

The sense of colors are the usual wash of grey and brown

The Locales are a master-class of being generic and uninspired

The Weapons look like your usual hunk of mechanics that don't even have the slightest touch of aesthetics to them (Doom Shotgun hell yeah)

Random Characters all over the place. Politically Correctness?

Not even one Structure or Object that reminds me of Doom, Hell, Medieval, Space-Stations of the slightest hint. The only thing being worthy called anything "Doom" at all is a red cloud of smoke