Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

idgames discussion totally unrelated to maintainership

Sodaholic said:

No, the contents should be moved to the proper directories, and /terrywads/ directory itself removed. The archive exists to be of use to its users. It should not be deliberately inconvenient to get to certain files. The only real exception is x-rated, but for good reason, and it's obviously not that difficult to penetrate its interior as currently implemented.

What about a curated tagging system similar to Steam for the DW frontend?

I'm so glad you have no say over anything important.

Sodaholic said:

DW frontend stuff

Yes, it would be nice to redesign the DW frontend and have it stop being quite so weird and janky. Not sure how feasible that is though.

For the frontend I would love to have the ability to comment without giving a number rating. I dislike associating works of art with stupid numbers and would rather just describe my impressions using words.

I'd prefer a like\dislike system myself, although if there will be changes to the frontend maybe there should be a separate thread to discuss possible changes?

I hate like/dislike systems for their black-and-white polarities. You either love it or hate it, no inbetweens.

I'm not a huge fan of the current rating system (despite writing it myself when I was younger and less world weary...) because it uses a really naive (read: bad) way of calculating ratings. I've thought that I should try and implement a better system (see, e.g., http://fulmicoton.com/posts/bayesian_rating/, http://www.evanmiller.org/ranking-items-with-star-ratings.html) but I don't really have access to the database anymore.

Jaxxoon R said:

I hate like/dislike systems for their black-and-white polarities. You either love it or hate it, no inbetweens.

Yeah but that's because the majority of people use it that way anyway.

Youtube used to have a five star rating and changed it to a like/dislike system because they found out that the overwhelming majority of users rated with either 0 stars or 5 stars, never using the 1, 2, 3, or 4 stars options.

Marcaek said:

I'd prefer a like\dislike system myself, although if there will be changes to the frontend maybe there should be a separate thread to discuss possible changes?

Agreed. I've seen enough users giving wads 0 stars just because it either doesn't work for them or is too hard for them to handle.

I thought about a thumbs up / thumbs down rating system, but I think it's a poor fit for a WAD archive. Imagine a site that used thumbs up / thumbs down for reviewing restaurants - it would just not be granular enough to be of any use to anyone.

As for people voting something as low as they can in bad faith, there's not a whole lot that can really be done about that. Maybe you could discard the top and bottom x% of votes to blunt the effect, but that's about it.

Linguica said:

Imagine a site that used thumbs up / thumbs down for reviewing restaurants - it would just not be granular enough to be of any use to anyone.

... you mean like Urbanspoon?

Obsidian said:

Heh, reminds me of the time some morons tried uploading an abyspe16.wad to the archives. They probably should have considered making it out of more than malignant ACS scripting.

Didn't know about this. It may explain why the legitimate uploads of that WAD by TheMionicDonut and me disappeared without a trace.

scifista42 said:

Now, which email address should be used for the official verification of newly uploaded wads? If I missed the information in another thread, I apologize.

The one that uploaders receive the verify-request mail from, which is idgmaint@gamers.org (identical to idgmaint@abydos.com) .

Gez said:

Yeah but that's because the majority of people use it that way anyway.

Youtube used to have a five star rating and changed it to a like/dislike system because they found out that the overwhelming majority of users rated with either 0 stars or 5 stars, never using the 1, 2, 3, or 4 stars options.

Yes, most online rating systems seem to end up like that. Even written reviews tend to be absolute hate or absolute love (though usually with a bit more explanation or middle-ground points being made).

When trying to evaluate something from a ratings system (e.g. on Amazon), I tend to look at the relative proportions of good to bad ratings. If the 5 stars massively outweigh the 0 stars, the item is probably good. If the positive and negative are more closely matched, I approach with caution and try to find out more information before committing. If the 0s massively outweigh the 5s, I look for something else instead. Of course, this is only reliable if the item has a lot of ratings. 100% positive means nothing with only one rating.

Never_Again said:

Yes, in the sense that it's a legit /idgames email. Most likely a DNS config issue on Xymph's end.

That was postfix, not DNS.
abydos.com is the underlying hostname for gamers.org, so mails sent directly from the box (via the verification mail script) can end up with that sender domain, but replies arrive at the same people, the new idgames maintainers.