Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cybermind

WCleaner - wad optimizer

When a mapper put a lot of new textures inside his PWAD, it soon become too hard to delete the unused textures when mapper plans to release his masterpiece. This utility allows you to clean out your PWAD from such garbage automatically, in one click.

Yes, I know that new Slade 3 has about the same feature, but is was buggy and I've decided to write my own program.

Main featues:
-cleans TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2/PNAMES from unused textures and patches.
-cleans PNAMES from invalid textures.
-cleans PWAD from unused flats.
-all clean-out is accurate - WCleaner doesn't delete patches and flats which have the same names as in IWAD(e.g. animation and switch replacements)
-supports limit-removing wads and Boom wad using ANIMATED and SWITCHES

How to use: simple way - just drop your PWAD on exe. That will replace the original file (don't forget to make a backup) with an optimized copy.
If you want a harder way - run the utility and read its output to learn how to use it.
Links (v 1.0.1):
https://github.com/Mistranger/wcleaner/releases/download/1.0.1/wcleaner.zip
GitHub page: https://github.com/Mistranger/wcleaner

In case if you've found an error or crash: post a link to PWAD which causes error.
Any feedback is welcome.

cybermind said:

-all cleanout is accurate - WCleaner doesn't delete patches and flats which have the same names as in IWAD(e.g. animation and switch replacements)

Oh god thank you.

This sounds amazing and I will for certain have a great use for it! :))

Out of a safety concern, you should probably let the program make a back-up before optimizing it.

esselfortium said:

Nice, thanks for this!

Might it be possible to check mapinfo lumps for skies, story-text backdrop flats, and such as well?

Orientation for zdoom will be hard work, since there may be situations, when you change texture or flat in script, and many others.
But yeah, at least implementing support for animdefs will be good.

Archi said:

Orientation for zdoom will be hard work, since there may be situations, when you change texture or flat in script, and many others.

You could simply allow the WAD author to pass an "exclude" file of known textures/flats that should not be touched and rely on the WAD author to keep track of every texture he uses in a script.

Yes, I was planning to make such search in BEHAVIOR lump, but, anyway, removing unused textures from ZDoom-based wads, relying to information from such quanity of different lump types(TEXTURES, ANIMDEFS, HIRESTEX, scripts etc) will be a hard work to do.

cybermind said:

WHOA!!! That's one dodgy download!!!
It wants to install it's own download manager program and then wants me use the quick installation (hahaha, no thanks chum!) so that it can install all sorts of rubbish!! I think not!!! Perhaps, you should consider using a clean provider for your stuff???

On another note, thanks for the upload it's a handy utility!!!

Oh, I've uploaded the file to my own Skydrive account :::: http://sdrv.ms/GCyp1P :::: It's a spam free download. I will remove it if you want though, but I don't want people getting rubbish thrown on their computers.

Dave

Phendrena said:

WHOA!!! That's one dodgy download!!!

Click this:

Not this:

I had the same problem when I first downloaded from speedyshare, so used to looking for a hidden download link. They're learning...

I wonder if the program could check the wad for a MAPINFO lump and take into account any textures in there that are solely used as skies.

For example, try WCleaning zdectfmp3. All skies will be removed and ashwall assumes post. The skies are defined in the MAPINFO text lump.