Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Few minor additions / bug fixes

Gez said:

I'd be happy just with pingback links when quoting people.

It could look like that:

Those are a nice feature.

EDIT: And this is why they're good. So much for nested quotes.

Gez said:

I'd be happy just with pingback links when quoting people.

It could look like that:

sup

Aliotroph? said:

EDIT: And this is why they're good. So much for nested quotes.

That wasn't a nested quote, it was a quote. Existing single-level quotes still get removed from a reply like always.

AndrewB said:

One minor request. Can we have DoomNation's nonlinear style threads?

Fly away troll

You will notice that (1) quotes now have built-in links to the original post, and (2) if a post is on the same page as the page you are viewing, it just javascript-hops to it instead of reloading the page.

^You didn't know it? When a mod edits a post (his or someone else's), the "last edited" string is not affected.

I know how mod edits work, doesn't alter the fact there's nothing to indicate the post was edited (presumably by the OP) several hours after it was originally submitted.

And I don't think that the particular post was edited by the OP, because according to his posting history, he's most probably asleep at this time.

Besides, "last edited" string works fine in my own thread where I've edited the original post right now, and it apparently works right here too.

In which case the mod responsible must be omniscient (had it been Grazza, that wouldn't surprise me), since the image link wasn't there until some time after Doomkid's request.

On the subject of images - this is new.

GreyGhost said:
On the subject of images - this is new.

Where is that from? Also, there should be a reference to Doom 64 and Doom 3 too.

Linguica said:

I could just remove all nested levels of quotes, but I don't know if that's an obviously superior option?

No! It's not. Nested quotes do challenge teh sanity, but are highly preferred to removing them outright.

scifista42 said:

The screenshot was there since the beginning I believe, but wrongly embedded and therefore not displaying. My browsers showed me a placeholder [X] image in its place, though.

Probably also a browser/plugin-related issue, since I didn't see a placeholder in Firefox.

Changed links to posts on the same page to work properly even in the absence of javascript (even though it won't actually scroll to the right post without javascript anyway...) and also added a smooth scrolling effect that only works with Firefox because standards are dumb and I don't want to have to use jQuery.

Linguica said:

Changed links to posts on the same page to work properly even in the absence of javascript (even though it won't actually scroll to the right post without javascript anyway...)

I like being able to right-click the post reference and open it in another tab of my browser, and it seems that now I can (as opposed to the previous behaviour you've introduced yesterday), so thanks for this.

If you're a popular person you may notice a new feature I'm testing, not sure how much I like it...

Linguica said:

If you're a popular person you may notice a new feature I'm testing, not sure how much I like it...

scifista42 said:

Superluigieth1 said:

TheCupboard said:

GreyGhost said:

scifista42 said:

AndrewB said:

Aliotroph? said:

scifista42 said:

scifista42 said:

scifista42 said:

I understood. Everyone sees quotes of himself highlighted.

EDIT: Doesn't work in Opera browser.

Please don't automatically turn links to images into embedded images. Maybe I don't want to "pollute" the thread with large pictures.

Memfis said:

Please don't automatically turn links to images into embedded images. Maybe I don't want to "pollute" the thread with large pictures.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Memfis said:

I agree.

You can still just wrap the image in url tags as always. Seems to me that since I'm trying to enable Maximum Laziness, it is achieved by having a bare image URL result in embedding the picture, since that is undoubtedly the most likely use case for pasting an image url in the first place.

Lazy person just pastes image url, gets auto embedded:

Not so lazy person actually puts url tags on it:

http://www.doomworld.com/images/300x50.gif

Linguica said:

it is achieved by having a bare image URL result in embedding the picture, since that is undoubtedly the most likely use case for pasting an image url in the first place

Hmm, not for me. Due to the overall minimalistic nature of this forum, most of the time I feel like embedding an image would be too arrogant since it would take so much place. Typically the only exceptions to it are the threads where everyone already posts embedded images (like "post your Doom picture", etc) and I don't feel like an intruder when I take half of the screen with just my post. I guess I'm in the minority here though, I also hate the youtube tag for example :) -> http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/67131-the-yt-tag-sucks/