Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevieWolfe

Question about 3DO Doom's Soundtrack

I've been curious for a long as to who actually arranged/played this version of Doom's music. Even though the port totally sucked because of the 3DO having a shit processor thus giving Doom a sludgey framerate, the music I feel is the best so far next to PSX Doom. Does anyone know who put this together and if they've done anything since?

Quick search on the internet really only says that the music was "live recorded" from a "band"

The sole developer of the 3DO port is this person and you could always try tweeting them if they remember, as according to the Wiki, it was their decision to record music for it

A quick visit to mobygames woulda answered this question. Two guys got an "audio tracks" credit for this port. One hasn't done anything else since, the other did some QA shit for CIA Operative.

Impie said:

Two guys got an "audio tracks" credit for this port. One hasn't done anything else since, the other did some QA shit for CIA Operative.

That's unfortunate. I wonder if we could get them back together to do the rest of Prince's soundtrack. :P

Heineman stated this about the 3DO port's soundtrack in a YouTube comment:

On the music, Randy Scott was a member of a small garage band and he recorded the tracks. I still have the original AIFF files that was used in the game. I'll see if I can upload them somewhere.

And the tracks were indeed uploaded here.

The planned FMVs, the newly arranged music... I'm guess some serious effort was put into this port despite the hardware's failings.

Technician said:

The planned FMVs, the newly arranged music... I'm guess some serious effort was put into this port despite the hardware's failings.

So much effort that they only thought about hiring a programmer 10 weeks before the end of the project...

Linguica said:

So much effort that they only thought about hiring a programmer 10 weeks before the end of the project...

I was talking about the actual two to three people involved in porting, not so much the studio itself.

Technician said:

I was talking about the actual two to three people involved in porting, not so much the studio itself.

If you mean the actual programming and asset conversion, there was only one person, not two to three.

I see there was no E2M4 or E2M8 renditions either, two of my favorite Doom tracks weren't done :(

Quasar said:

If you mean the actual programming and asset conversion, there was only one person, not two to three.

I hope he was paid well.

Technician said:

I hope he was paid well.

Maybe enough to compensate for practically living in the office for 10 weeks, though probably wouldn't cover her transitioning costs.

It's too bad only 14 songs were covered (and that's counting the title screen sound as a song). That's not even the full soundtrack for Doom 1 (23 songs) and it would have been cool to also have the Doom II soundtrack rendered in the same way (21 more songs).

I actually don't like this soundtrack too much. I feel like some of the percussion/synth instruments were a bit too clashing with the guitar and other instruments.
I still just prefer the kind of gritty MIDI sound.

GreyGhost said:

Maybe enough to compensate for practically living in the office for 10 weeks, though probably wouldn't cover her transitioning costs.

Who woulda tunk it.

EDIT: Wait, she used to be the Burger Bill? Glorious.