Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thx134

adding wads to zdoom or gzdoom

i'd like to play all these awesome wads,but i'm running zdoom and gzdoom and i'm having trouble installing the wads. mainly because i don't know how to do it and doom wiki isn't helping can someone please better explain how to install wads to zdoom and gzdoom?

yes i know but i just can't any info from that maybe if you can explain it in lament's terms.

thx134 said:

explain it in lament's terms.

A lament in free verse:

alas, how sad is it,
the woe of the frontend, the plight of the right-click,
no dragging and dropping anymore to start a modded play,
information overload makes the wiki confusing.

what is a newb to do?
those who know do not get it,
blind as they are to the doc's weaknesses,
they read between the lines and see what is not plain.

no matter how simple the task might be,
the timid soul, afraid of messing up,
stays wary of the manual
-- far too impersonal --
and looks for a helping hand,
to walk him down the lane.

is understanding possible?
when something is too simple for one to explain,
yet too complicated for the other to grasp?
if poetry fails, all hope is lost.

i tried dragging and droppin already. am i supposed to have everything in a specific folder?

If you tried it already, and it didn't work, then you are doing something wrong. Make sure you are dropping the .wad or .pk3 into (g)zdoom.exe.
No, you don't need everything in the same folder. As long as it is capable of finding the IWADs on its own (steam folders or its own folder), then it should work.

You are all making a lot of assumptions here, including but not limited to:

• That he actually has the IWADs to begin with, legally or otherwise.
  • That he understands the concept of "folder", "folder path visibility" and "manual installation".
  • For all we know, he could be trying to run the .exe from a .zip file, and/or dragging PWADs on the zip file itself.
Granted, I understand that in this day and age it may appear shocking that there are things that don't "just work", e.g. IWAD locations are not automatically detected by all source ports, but unless source ports start being shipped with "for dummies" wrappers, this ain't gonna change and we're gonna get such posts time and again.

Granted, 95% of Doomers seem to "get it" on their own and are probably "up' n' doomin'" in less than 10 minutes after unzipping their source port of choice, but that remaining 5% is gonna need a LOT more help.

A launcher makes things easier, but even setting one up requires a pretty good understanding of the above concepts.

The only solution would be for source ports to start being shipped with "for dummies" installers, using some commonly agreed-upon canaries (e.g. create community-accepted Windows registry entries for IWAD locations that all "dummy compliant" source ports can look up, plus a tool to actually set them, possibly integrated with the Steam version). The good, old method of unzip + run is apparently too oldskool, hardcore and 1337 for the CoD youth.

Most actively developed source ports already do support things like the DOOMWADDIR and DOOMWADPATH environment paths and some even check the default Steam install directory.

Doomsday's frontend also features an install wizard which guides you through the process of locating your IWADs.

Do your ZDoom and GZDoom work when you simply run them by themselves?

thx134 said:

i tried dragging and droppin already. am i supposed to have everything in a specific folder?

You should have the following files in the same folder:

• zdoom.exe (or gzdoom.exe)
  • zdoom.pk3 (or gzdoom.pk3)
  • fmodex.dll
Those are the bare minimum. Note that Windows, by default, hides file extensions, so you might just see "zdoom", "zdoom.pk3", and "fmodex". It might be a good idea to show file extensions first. Here is how you can do it on Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.

These three files are the bare minimum and they should be together.

Now you need IWADs. If you have bought The Ultimate Doom or Doom II on Steam, make sure they actually are downloaded on your computer. ZDoom will find them automatically.

If you did not get these games from Steam, you need to retrieve the IWADs. For The Ultimate Doom it is doom.wad; and for Doom II it is doom2.wad. There are also other IWADs you can use, see Doom Wiki or ZDoom Wiki for further information.

If you do not see a doom.wad or doom2.wad file in the folder where you have placed your Doom games, make sure the game is properly installed. You might need to run install.exe in DOSBox. If that seems too complicated, download Freedoom.

You should then have zdoom.exe, zdoom.pk3, fmodex.dll, and doom2.wad, all in the same directory. Double-click on zdoom.exe: the game should start. It will create a zdoom-<username>.ini file in the same folder, where the game will store the changes you make to the configuration (for example, if you change the key bindings). Once you have that file, you can edit it to change the paths in which the IWADs are sought, so you no longer need to have the IWADs in the same folder if so you want.

If the game started correctly, you can try the next test. Choose a mod you want to play, verify it is for the same IWAD (don't try a Heretic, Hexen, Ultimate Doom, Strife, etc. mod for Doom II), and drag-and-drop that file onto zdoom.exe. The game should start with the mod.

DaniJ said:

stuff about most actively developed ports

ZDoom and most other source ports support nothing more than DOOMWADDIR, whose existence is also quite a big assumption to make.

Doomsday might be much more advanced than that, but the problem is that it's seldom going to be the #1 port of choice for a newbie: most of these posts mention prBoom+ and ZDoom, and for a reason.

Maes said:

ZDoom and most other source ports support nothing more than DOOMWADDIR, whose existence is also quite a big assumption to make.

ZDoom looks into the Steam folders too. By default, the IWADSearch paths include DOOMWADDIR (if defined), the current working directory, the user's home directory, and ZDoom's own installation directory; in addition to Steam.

Chocolate Doom does look for Steam IWADS as well; and Quasar once said he has some code to do so as well that he might one day remember to plug in Eternity.

Maes said:

Doomsday might be much more advanced than that, but the problem is that it's seldom going to be the #1 port of choice for a newbie: most of these posts mention prBoom+ and ZDoom, and for a reason.

Lots of people start off with Doomsday.

Lot's of people start with/prefer/continue to use etc etc Port X

Let's not go down that road again...

thanks guys you really helped now i can play all the doom wads that i download turned out all i had to do is go over to my wad of choice right click hit copy then right click on (g)zdoom and hit paste then the program would start up ask me which wad i wanted to use depending on if it was for doom1 or 2. after i make my selction it would start the custom wad file. so thanks for the help.

I know this is a very old thread, but there are enough threads like it, I thought I'd just reactivate this one rather than create a new one. I chose this thread because of the "Laments Terms". Worth reading.

Anyway, I used to use zandronum a long time ago, and am now getting back into dooming and want to try GZDoom. I'm having some trouble. Dragging and dropping WAD files like Doom 1, Doom 2 and Final Doom works just fine, but if I drag and drop hexen or heretic, I get an oddly colored version of Doom 2. If I drag and drop the WAD I really want to play: Doom:One, I just get plain old Doom 2.

Pk3 files drag and drop just fine, but always default to Doom 2.

I'm using the latest 2.0.05

I remember there was an interface I had to use in zandronum to fix problems like this, but I can't find anything similar for GZDoom. Can anyone give me a hint?

link to Doom:One if you are curious http://www.moddb.com/mods/doomone

1) It seems like you somehow managed to disabled the IWAD selection popup.
2) You shouldn't drag&drop IWADS. By doing so you are loading them with the currently selected IWAD, which in your case seems to be Doom2.wad

To fix this, start the game, go to the Miscellaneous Options menu and re-enable that popup again. And when it shows up, do NOT check "Don't ask me this again".

There are different methods you can follow to load a WAD,PK3 or PK7 on ZDoom or GZDoom :

Summary
0- Command-line commands
1- Drag and Drop (Easiest)
2- Command Prompt (Medium)
3- Batch File (Easy)
4- Custom IWAD (Loading a Custom game like "Adventures of Square")
5- Wad Loader (Easy, But not Sufficient)
6- Combining Commands (Follow this if you would like to load many Wads together)

0 - Command-line Commands
* -file : Used for loading custom PWADs (mods) .
* -iwad : Loads up custom IWADs (games) .

A - Drag and Drop
Just drag and drop your WAD into the ".exe" (my os is in french, these words on the bubble mean "Open with ZDoom"

B - Command Prompt
1-Open "Start Menu" and Find the Command Prompt (If you don't know Where is it on Menu type in search "cmd" and Press enter)
2-Write the letter of Drive where ZDoom or GZDoom is . e.g "C:"
3-Write CD Followed by your GZDoom/ZDoom path . e.g CD "Program Files/ZDoom/"
4-Now Write "GZDoom or ZDoom" followed by the command -file and the Path to your addon (Wad,PK3 or PK7) .
e.g "-file myfavwad.wad" (if your wad is inside ZDoom/GZDoom folder)
____"-file C:\Users\<youusername>\GZDoom\gzdoom.exe"

C - Batch File
1-Create a new TXT File and name it whatever you want
2-Open it and put the name of ZDoom or GZDoom exe on it
3-Leave a space and write -file followed by the name of your wad,pk3 or Pk7
It should look something like this :

4-Save it and Click "Rename" on that file, change the file extension "txt" to "bat" at the end of the filename so that Windows will consider it as a Batch file (If your system doesn't display the file extensions, Try this ), then save and double click it .
Note : make sure to put your mod inside GZDoom or ZDoom folder in order to make it run, if you didn't,You'll have to put it's location before it's name .

D - Custom IWAD
Most of IWADs will run just fine as DOOM2 PWADs if you followed one of the previous methods, however if you still want to run it as an IWAD just replace "-file" by "-iwad" and that's all .
e.g = -iwad "..../Folder/ZDoom/megagame.wad"
Note: Make sure the wad you're trying to run with that Command is Not an PWAD or you might just get errors

E - Wad Loader
Another easier method is using a Wad launcher, These things allows you to simply select your Sourceport,IWAD and Wad then simply run the game , I Recommand you to try ZDL , However it doesn't allow loading Custom IWADs (games) yet .

F - Combining Commands
You can also combine the commands on "Your bat or cmd line" to get them all together e.g : Custom IWAD and PWAD , just leave space whenever you want to put a New command (Previous Tuto parts explained details already, But here's a Screenshot just in case ;) )

Spoiler

Thanks guys. I found ZDL and that cleared things up for me. It is similar to whatever interface I once used for Zandronum.

For any other beginners who stumble across this post, ZDL really makes things much easier.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

3- Batch File (Easy)

This is the method I use. I have my GZDoom base files, my IWADs, and then like 50 or more .bat files all tied to different WADs and PK3s that are stored inside a subdir of my GZDoom folder called "custom." If I want to play Speed of Doom, all I have to do is double click "Speed of Doom (Doom II).bat" and off I go! I can throw in other mods in the same BAT file. Want Speed of Doom combined with SmoothDoom? Add it to the batch file! Works a charm.

The truly easiest way is associating .wad (and .pk3) suffix with your favorite source port, which you only need to do once, and then play any of your wads anywhere on your computer, simply via double-clicking the wad file. Much better solution than .bat files, except situations when you need to load multiple wads at once.

Gez said:

A lament in free verse:

alas, how sad is it,
the woe of the frontend, the plight of the right-click,
no dragging and dropping anymore to start a modded play,
information overload makes the wiki confusing.

what is a newb to do?
those who know do not get it,
blind as they are to the doc's weaknesses,
they read between the lines and see what is not plain.

no matter how simple the task might be,
the timid soul, afraid of messing up,
stays wary of the manual
-- far too impersonal --
and looks for a helping hand,
to walk him down the lane.

is understanding possible?
when something is too simple for one to explain,
yet too complicated for the other to grasp?
if poetry fails, all hope is lost.

Hey that's actually good!

scifista42 said:

except situations when you need to load multiple wads at once.

That's why I don't do that. I never load one single file unless I'm testing something.