Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Sergeant_Mark_IV is remaking the original Doom

cortlong50 said:

everyone in this thread seems a little bitter.

Better bitter than sour. Repeat it ten times.

dew said:

Better bitter than sour. Repeat it ten times.

Well he makes some valid points to be honest. That shotgun did look a bit useless similar to the Doom 3 shotgun. And I do in fact think that the plasmagun looked and sounded like crap. The Doom 3 plasma gun looked and sounded pretty awesome, while the one we see in Doom 4 looks like a shitty Halo weapon.

The Plasma Rifle in NuDoom looks quite similar to the Doom 3 weapon. THe color is different and it's not as square is all, really.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's weapon upgrades, since that's a fairly common thing in the FPS world these days.

Back to the original topic, frankly I'm not interested in the screenshots; the more pertinent part is how the gameplay of the maps has been switched around, since the mod's big draw is that it'd be (presumably) the canonical Brutal Doom mapset.

[Assuming this is indeed the same set of levels referred to in the v20 announcement, o'course.]

Xaser said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's weapon upgrades, since that's a fairly common thing in the FPS world these days.

I would hope so honestly. The plasma rifle needs to be a lot more devastating.

nxGangrel said:

I think many people, including myself, are tired of seeing remakes of Doom. I tried it once, and eventually I thought it was a stupid idea.

look, i get it. i do, but ive seen plenty of doom remakes take the forums by storm. fuckin 2002ADO was one of the best packs i played once i started venturing into user made maps. like as soon as sarge makes something everyone starts freakin out. "its so stupid...look how stupid it is. its dumb."

now, to put it lightly...hes a giant steaming pile of asswipe, he really is. but i dont care whos making a map pack, if it gives me that same feeling from the first time i played doom, then so be it. i love remakes...im especially a big fan of remakes of doom 2, because the fact of the matter is the idea is incredible and the execution wasnt. downtown-what even was that?

i want more remakes and interpretations of the original doom story. i wanna see that stuff. it makes me feel immersed and comfortable and im all about comfortable immersion. mmmmmmm.

so yeah, the bias here is insane. im not a fan of sarge one bit, i think hes an arrogant turd, plain and simple. but at the same time, i dont give a damn whos making a map pack...if its good im gonna play it and the original idea behind doom 1-2 is bad ass. i want more and more of it, only done right. (especially doom 2).

and yeah that video of him complaining about the new doom. ugh.

cortlong50 said:

look, i get it. i do, but ive seen plenty of doom remakes take the forums by storm. fuckin 2002ADO was one of the best packs i played once i started venturing into user made maps. like as soon as sarge makes something everyone starts freakin out. "its so stupid...look how stupid it is. its dumb."

now, to put it lightly...hes a giant steaming pile of asswipe, he really is. but i dont care whos making a map pack, if it gives me that same feeling from the first time i played doom, then so be it. i love remakes...im especially a big fan of remakes of doom 2, because the fact of the matter is the idea is incredible and the execution wasnt. downtown-what even was that?

i want more remakes and interpretations of the original doom story. i wanna see that stuff. it makes me feel immersed and comfortable and im all about comfortable immersion. mmmmmmm.

so yeah, the bias here is insane. im not a fan of sarge one bit, i think hes an arrogant turd, plain and simple. but at the same time, i dont give a damn whos making a map pack...if its good im gonna play it and the original idea behind doom 1-2 is bad ass. i want more and more of it, only done right. (especially doom 2).

and yeah that video of him complaining about the new doom. ugh.

There's really not a lot to comment on in the screenshots, IMO. It looks like Doom maps with some added detailing of questionable quality. It certainly gets more attention than it would if a new user posted it, because it's a new project from a well-known community figure who people already pay attention to, but I don't think the same pictures would be judged as being much better if someone else had posted it.

But I didn't think 2002ADO was any good, either, and a lot of people liked that, so maybe?

esselfortium said:

There's really not a lot to comment on in the screenshots, IMO. It looks like Doom maps with some added detailing of questionable quality. It certainly gets more attention than it would if a new user posted it, because it's a new project from a well-known community figure who people already pay attention to, but I don't think the same pictures would be judged as being much better if someone else had posted it.

But I didn't think 2002ADO was any good, either, and a lot of people liked that, so maybe?

i like this reply. essel youre a good doomer.

i agree whole heartedly. i dont think people need to be busting balls so hard since its sarge...i think they need to pay more attention to that fact that it doesnt look very good.

now ill admit that his holocaust map was killer. lots of detail and really good work, along with some of his other mapping. theyre actually pretty fun.

i just want ed or corfiatis or eternal to take a swing at remaking doom 2. from start to finish. thats the world i wanna live in.

Personally it would be nice to see Mark come up with some more original maps rather than do something which many people have attempted to do before. The term half baked comes to mind which is a shame since despite all the things thrown around, this guy does have a lot of talent.

cannonball said:

Personally it would be nice to see Mark come up with some more original maps rather than do something which many people have attempted to do before. The term half baked comes to mind which is a shame since despite all the things thrown around, this guy does have a lot of talent.

i agree with this as well. to the tee.

cortlong50 said:

i just want ed or corfiatis or eternal to take a swing at remaking doom 2. from start to finish. thats the world i wanna live in.

Eternal remade the first 11 maps of Doom 2 here: Remain 1 (not sure if he remade the rest of maps or not, somebody once said that yes, but I couldn't find the alleged wad anywhere)

i can enjoy remakes if they're loose interpretations of the originals, so they leave room for the author's creativity. on the other hand, recreating room by room with more detail and improved engines is weak.

I have dropped this project like one year ago in favor of working on Extermination Day. I don't have much interest on going back to it again. As other said, I'd be better spend my time working on my own maps instead of trying to "zdoomify" Vanilla maps.

Also, I am going to archive the moddb page to prevent further confusion.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I have dropped this project like one year ago in favor of working on Extermination Day. I don't have much interest on going back to it again. As other said, I'd be better spend my time working on my own maps instead of trying to "zdoomify" Vanilla maps.

That is interesting information. Also no offense but weren't you banned from the forums or something? I remember hearing about that and don't think I have seen you on them for ages until now. Were you unbanned at some point and then simply did not post very often?

Sorry, I don't get it, this feels like wasted effort.
Why not making new maps in the classic style? The doom2 textures, the new onea, high detail, crates etc kill the E1 theme and its feeling for sure, unnecessary.

EDIT: I've read he quit so, unnecessary my opinions too.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Damn that's a shame because they looked really good.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I have dropped this project like one year ago in favor of working on Extermination Day. ...

Did you have much done? Would you consider releasing what you've got? Maybe someone else would like to pick it up or maybe there's even enough to make a small WAD? Dunno, just a thought. :)

Average said:

Did you have much done? Would you consider releasing what you've got? Maybe someone else would like to pick it up or maybe there's even enough to make a small WAD? Dunno, just a thought. :)

Just 7 out of 8 E1 maps. I uploaded them to moddb today anyway.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

are you going to be including city assault and holocaust in your upcoming megawad? because those maps rule.

scifista42 said:

Eternal remade the first 11 maps of Doom 2 here: Remain 1 (not sure if he remade the rest of maps or not, somebody once said that yes, but I couldn't find the alleged wad anywhere)

thanks for posting this. ill be in the doom cave.

hardcore_gamer said:

lol at how before everybody were shitting on the wad and now that it's been canceled everybody wants it. Just human nature I guess.

that is decidedly not the case

extermination day looks cool tho

edit: oh hey! looks like someone just flew in from suspended in dusk lol

Antroid said:

So how long until everyone tells people who mention Doom to play this instead of the original iwads?

Probably never...not really, Doom remakes and whatnot have been done before yet we still play the original. Mods and remakes for most don't replace the original, just offer an occasional diversion from it is all...nothing wrong with that. As much as the original is fun, I like variety too. I also like cheese, but I don't wanna eat it the same way every time.

There might be a small minority to ditch the original game, but whatever, it's a minority and I don't see the numbers growing to abandon the original much at all. Doom will always be loved.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Just 7 out of 8 E1 maps. I uploaded them to moddb today anyway.

Cool. Thanks for uploading them. Now I've got something to play today! :)

I played through the first 2 levels with god mode and all weapons. Meh. These just look like more detailed versions of the originals but with more monsters in them for some reason. Also, a baron of hell on the second level? Really? Easily the most memorable part of E1M8 was seeing the 2 barons for the first time.