How does DNF hold up in 2015?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How does DNF hold up in 2015?

• Time was good to it - Come Get Some! (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄
    • It's the same (if so, HOW so?)
    • As much as it did in 2011 /人◕ __ ◕人\
    • Never played it (Yᵒᵘ Oᶰˡʸ Lᶤᵛᵉ Oᶰᶜᵉ)
    • Impse (Mr. Hands Edition)

I think the Duke3D community deserved better. They waited a hell of a long time for a sequel. Ups and downs, reboots and undying hype. Until hope finally gave out altogether. Then they announced it. What they sold was a game that had just come off life-support.

There were some amazing people from Duke3D mapmaking community, [n00b]Adereth comes to mind, who joined the Doom community and made some amazing ZDaemon/ZDoom mods, new game modes, created great graphics and possessed ambition.

I found it painful enough to force myself to play through it completely the first time as it is, I can barely play it for more than a minute whenever I try it now.

I think the main problem was that it was incomplete when it was changed hands to Gearbox and they just tied up whatever loose ends very crudely and released it as it was.

I got the Balls of Steel Edition for the random physical goodies. I expected the whole game to be really good back then...

I even made a stupid post in a thread somewhere around here long ago, and part of it said "[Duke Nukem Forever's] over-the-top humor is excellent."

I still can't believe I said that. Now I think DNF is not a good game, but it's not extremely terrible either. It has some mildly funny parts, dumb parts, boring parts, and was nowhere near the fun that was Duke Nukem 3D.

I started replaying Rage and Doom 3. Both are infinitely more enjoyable. Doom 3 has a segment with well atmosphere, story and setting instead of hero worship and interactions. Rage may have started out with a ride along and then a ATV, but it put you in the action pretty quick. Duke Forever is just nuzzled up its own ass during the first 30 minutes.

I like the fact everywhere Duke goes its red shirt and a bandoleer full of grenades. Even going to a talk show. No one would recognize him if he wasn't in his iconic gear. Yet there are plenty of photos with him not in that gear.

Honestly I was never a fan of Duke Nukem but DN3D was the only good 3D/2.5D game in the series imo, DNF suffered from so many problems modern FPS games suffer from today in a more painful way.

Chu said:

It's REALLY not as bad as everyone said it was!

I never played it. But it doesn't surprise me that people would follow a cynical-narrative like a bunch of lemmings.

^
Ironically, my post is pretty cynical within and of itself.

Kontra Kommando said:

it doesn't surprise me that people would follow a cynical-narrative like a bunch of lemmings

If I liked it, believe me I'd say so. I think I'm the only person on Doomworld who is thoroughly happy with what Doom 4 is turning out to be. But DNF really is as bad as everyone says it is, and I can't add anything to what others have already pointed out about the game.

Kontra Kommando said:

I never played it. But it doesn't surprise me that people would follow a cynical-narrative like a bunch of lemmings.

^
Ironically, my post is pretty cynical within and of itself.

I've been giving specifics. Internet just can't read specifics beyond game is bad.

Anyone want 90 minutes of gameplay to see how dull and uninspired it is?

geo said:

I've been giving specifics. Internet just can't read specifics beyond game is bad.

Anyone want 90 minutes of gameplay to see how dull and uninspired it is?

I wasn't attacking anyone here personally. I was referring to how people jump on the bandwagon of why they dislike stuff.

Kontra Kommando said:

I wasn't attacking anyone here personally. I was referring to how people jump on the bandwagon of why they dislike stuff.

Everyone has their own opinion.

Kontra Kommando said:

Of course they do, but sometimes they're influenced by the opinions of others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Groupthink

Its all part of wanting to belong and fit in. I don't like Sonic 1, the speed is taken away at the start of the Marble Zone. Then it turns into Mario... but less fun and slower. People love that game though... I think its because their Genesis had nothing else to play but Altered Beast which is a pretty dull game.

DoomUK said:

I think I'm the only person on Doomworld who is thoroughly happy with what Doom 4 is turning out to be.

We're just a quiet minority at the most. Of course my optimism is cautious, given how many games in the last decade have looked mind-blowingly awesome in demos and then turned out to be critical and market flops, but, I feel like they'll have to really try to screw it up for that to happen ;)