Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

The worst alcohol you have ever tried?

Any Radler beer. Seriously, whoever thought that it would be a good idea to mix piss-lemonade and piss-beer? At least it's not actually outright harmful.

If we delve into actually bad and harmful stuff, the sky (or rather, the subsoil) is the limit. I could tell tales of spiked drinks with wood alcohol served in night clubs, of nasty bootleg tsipouro consisting of a 60% proof undrinkable mixture of paint-thinner Fusel alcohols, of a nasty Bulgarian yellow rakiya with a strong smell of wood lacquer, a taste to match and a similar effect on my health after drinking it.

Doomkid said:

Absinth

Ugh. I drank that once and I started puking it up as I was swallowing it.

darknation said:

got a cask weissbeir on at my work at the moment. is fucking vile, shit needs some serious carbonation.

Casking a weissbier is... bizarre. Some styles should be left on tap. I had an APA on cask, and it really just did not work.

As for the worst alcohol, just going to type Natural Light and end it at that.

Probably Steel Reserve. A friend of mine used to make boilermakers with Jim Beam and Natural Ice, that was pretty vile.

Man, most of you haven't even come close to the bottom of the barrel of shit alcohol. How about Schlitz? Or MD 20 20? Thunderbird? Dubra? Popov? Natural Light? Man, I wish the worst thing I had ever tasted was Heineken or Johnnie Walker Red.

tourniquet said:

My friend managed to get that aboard a plane and through customs. Look on the label for the "No airplane" symbol to wonder why that has any significance.

Anyway, the 80% version of Stroh has a very a harsh flavor. I found if you pour an ounce on ice with a cup (250ml) of ginger ale you can enjoy a decent cocktail.

Anything with an alcohol % more than 40 needs to be mixed. You're just asking for trouble if you drink straight shooters of it for many reasons other than horrible flavor.

SYS said:

Anything with an alcohol % more than 40 needs to be mixed. You're just asking for trouble if you drink straight shooters of it for many reasons other than horrible flavor.

I dunno about that. There are plenty of whiskeys that have more than 40% alcohol by volume that can be fine neat assuming they are any good. But then again, those probably aren't intended to be drank as shots.

Anyway, there is one other alcohol I had forgotten about when making the thread that is even worse than JW red label. It's an Icelandic Schnapps called Fjallagrasa snaps. http://www.dutyfree.is/vorur/afengi/sterkt-afengi/snafs/fjallagrasa-snafs-38-50cl/107-2003

It's made out of moss or some shit and is probably nothing more than a tourist trap. Everybody I have spoken to who has tasted it agree that it tastes utterly rancid. I actually contacted CultMoo and asked them if they would be willing to accept a bottle for their show and they agreed. There is a good chance that the alcohol will appear on their show at some point in the next few months.

dew said:

In the first year at Uni we had the brilliant idea to test an urban legend that hobos drink oldschool window cleaning detergent by filtering it through bread. What a retarded myth.

That's one of the most awesome things I ever read. I hope you also ate ergot, that's one of my life regrets of never trying.

hardcore_gamer said:

There are plenty of whiskeys that have more than 40% alcohol by volume that can be fine neat assuming they are any good. But then again, those probably aren't intended to be drank as shots.

Which ones? Commercial-grade whiskeys and vodkas are pretty much standardized at precisely 40%. Less than that, and they are probably some kind of mixed drink or surrogate. More than that, they must be moonshines.

However, the quality of the alcohol may vary significantly. A good quality whisky or vodka will make its 40% go down smoothly as milk. A bad brew with wood alcohol, methanol, Fusel etc, will fuck you up both in the way in and the way out just as if it was 99%.

Maes said:

Which ones? Commercial-grade whiskeys and vodkas are pretty much standardized at precisely 40%. More than that, they must be moonshines.

However, the quality of the alcohol may vary significantly. A good quality whisky or vodka will make its 40% go down smoothly as milk.

A lot of Scotch and Bourbons/Ryes are bottled at 43% or above. Cask strength Scotch is usually over 55% and America has a "bottled in bond" category for anything 50%. These are not shitty moonshines, they are sought after. In a lot of whisky circles most people won't touch anything at 40%, they're considered too diluted. These types of whiskys though are for sipping, not shooting or mixing, so most people won't be familiar with them. Plus due to alcohol taxes these can be difficult to come by or prohibitively expensive in most places.

To be on topic, Walker Red is one of the worst things I've drank. Surprised to see Teachers mentioned, for blended Scotch you could do a lot worse (like JWR). As for MD 20/20, Thunderbird, Greek wood liquor (WTF?), etc, these types of drinks tend not to be exported.

Scet said:

A lot of Scotch and Bourbons/Ryes are bottled at 43% or above. Cask strength Scotch is usually over 55% and America has a "bottled in bond" category for anything 50%.

Not a fan of bourbon myself, but this special category sounds interesting. Sadly, it's unlikely to be found in mainstream bottled brands, if I understood correctly. But I don't think that this is what hardcore_gamer had in mind. He probably meant some nasty-tasting rotgut (which used such low quality alcohol that it might as well have been 70%).

Scet said:

To be on topic, Walker Red is one of the worst things I've drank. Surprised to see Teachers mentioned, for blended Scotch you could do a lot worse (like JWR). As for MD 20/20, Thunderbird, Greek wood liquor (WTF?), etc, these types of drinks tend not to be exported.

Poor old Johnny Red is one of the most adulterated whiskeys on the market, due to its popularity. Since most people drink it mixed with cola, it's a prime target for counterfeiting or spiking, since most people won't be bothered by the shitty taste being made shittier.

Wood alcohol (methanol etc.) occurs either in criminally negligent adulteration, or when producing tsipouro, schnapps etc. moonshines. The very first and last batches one obtains from a specific distillation/pressing are known colloquially as the "heads" and "tails" of a batch, and contain the most harmful kinds of alcohols (Fusel). These should be normally thrown away, but instead they are sold as "bargain" tsipouro by micro-distillers/moonshiner, and they invariably taste like varnish.

alexz721 said:

Man, I wish the worst thing I had ever tasted was Heineken or Johnnie Walker Red.

Yeah, I'm don't mind either of those drinks actually. Not my first choice, but by no means repulsive.

Natural Light... Ugh. Reminds me of my young teen years in the US, drinking with my delinquent friends.

Terrible Chinese beer somebody bought because of the bottle. Before I had this I never understood the "skunky" description for bad beer. It's probably made in an industrial hellhole somewhere next to a formaldehyde plant.

As far as bulk stuff goes, I always avoid anything related to Faxe.

And protip; if you receive any bottle or canister that labels Sahti, you better drink it within a week.

I just drank some leftover I received two weeks ago. Not the best experience.

I don't drink much, but I'd have to say bottom shelf vodka is the worst I have ever tried. It tasted like finger nail polish remover smells and could have probably stripped the rust off a car.

Personally, I love Gordon's. It's bottom-shelf vodka, but great for mixing.

Anyway, it's hard for me to pin down the worst alcohol I've ever had, but Skittles Vodka has to be one of the worst, if that counts. Also, my friend recently bought a case of beer at Costco for $5 and it tasted like watered-down Pabst. Just...think about that for a minute. He made a "redneck screwdriver" with it, and it was about the most unpleasant cocktail I've ever had. Honestly, any kind of pilsner is pretty terrible, especially those made by big American companies.

Danarchy said:

Honestly, any kind of pilsner is pretty terrible, especially those made by big American companies.

Drink a real pilsner made in Germany or the Czech Republic by a reputable brewer.

Some disgusting, sorry excuse for a Whiskey called "JB". Doesn't even particularly taste like Whiskey if you ask me. That "Asashi" beer from Japan is also pretty bad. As for enjoyable alcohol, there's nothing better that some really hard cider.

Woolie Wool said:

Drink a real pilsner made in Germany or the Czech Republic by a reputable brewer.

That's why I said American. I prefer stouts and porters to even ales, though, so it probably still wouldn't be my thing.

Everybody here but Fulgrim missed the most obvious "worst" alcohols, aside from the posters who mentioned "rubbing alcohol" and "hand-sanitizer."

One word, Aristocrat.

Throw in a second word of vodka and you should already be smelling/tasting rubbing alcohol in your brain. Seriously, Aristocrat has ruined vodka to me because even the smooth ones that are kinda nice wind up boiling down to rubbing alcohol somewhere between my senses and my brain.

On a side note, I remember when I was 20, it was a friends 21st birthday. Soooo much alcohol. We wound up making what is apparently called "Skippy," but don't judge by the sound, it turned out nothing like, say, lemon beers (like that nasty new Stocktop flavor)
It was a case of natural light, a half-gallon of vodka, and a medium-sized container of the powdered country time lemonade mix.

Boy let me tell you what, I was so f****d up that I remember it tasting delicious, despite my aversions to the two main ingredients. Though for beer, natural ice/light is better with me than, say, corona or Heineken. But I'd rather have a yuengling any day.

Ribbiks said:

clam, tomato, and shame. tastes surprisingly close to an old gym bag.

Ughhh get that shit away from me.

Anything anise-flavoured. And yeah, I know that means I hate our "national" drink, ouzo, too. Turkish "raki" is even worse, as it's essentially ouzo with more alcohol (>50%) and EVEN MORE ANISE. EWWWWWWWW.

Anise simply ruins everything for me: it has a taste which short-circuits my brain and makes me cringe. Is it sweet? Is it spicy? It makes drinks that contain it smell sweet and feel syrupy, but it leaves an overwhelming soapy, burning aftertaste that clashes horribly with the smell. It's almost like tasting scented soap: it may smell good enough to it, but the taste is CRAAAAAAAP.

Interestingly, other foods I don't like also give me the sensation of biting into a soap bar.