Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antroid

So that one recolored screenshot that everyone likes...

Linguica said:

One thing I find interesting is just how quickly after the release of Doom that id abandoned the "bright colors" mentality.

Like, here's an infamous Doom texture:

http://i.imgur.com/orYXWkK.jpg

But here's the Jaguar version of the same level, which was edited by someone at id just a few months later:

http://i.imgur.com/xembycz.jpg

there may have been issues with whether Doom could run that many colors well?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:U4R-_cglpucJ:atariage.com/forums/topic/156510-does-jag-doom-run-in-highcolor-mode/+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I thought I had read that John Carmack had said he preferred the browner textures because it looked more realistic, but I may have been thinking of his comments on the lack of music.

Recolored? No thanks, if i were that guy i would wait for the game to come out and then wait for someone to create a recolor mod.
As for classic Doom, that's not a problem because we already have the PSX TC, which is basicly a PSX sorta port for Doom PC.

People are getting too caught up on these two specific areas of the game, both of which have a reason to be yellow.

1. It's some sort of facility with lava/molten metal, of course there's going to be a warm glow.
2. Second scene is a section of Hell with volcanic/sulfuric haze.

I'm sure other parts of the game will have a varied palette (I hope so lol) No one is mentioning that UAC lab scene with the cold blue glow at all?

I don't get the 'brown meme' either. You use these colours to create neutral/natural scenes. Is it because a lot of modern shooters take place in middle-eastern settings?

To be fair though a lot of the monsters do look washed out in these scenes.

Captain Toenail said:

I'm sure other parts of the game will have a varied palette (I hope so lol) No one is mentioning that UAC lab scene with the cold blue glow at all?

I don't get the 'brown meme' either. You use these colours to create neutral/natural scenes. Is it because a lot of modern shooters take place in middle-eastern settings?

OF COURSE THEY AREN'T! PEOPLE ARE FUCKING RETARDED!

Aaaah. Why am I even wasting time on these plebs?!

I do agree about monster colors though. They're not terrible but they could be better.

Captain Toenail said:

It comes at least in part from the 2000s era of 3D "serious" shooters and action games, such as the PS2 era, early PS3 era, where you see a lot of filtered or monochrome (?)-looking levels. Like the first Killzone game, or the first 2 in particular. Or the game "Black" (PS2/Xbox). It was harder to render graphics at that fidelity with a lot more color too. It goes a way back:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fps+brown+gray&es_sm=93&biw=1920&bih=935&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=UB-LVYycEMuqgwSyqIfACg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&dpr=1

But then some other games showed less of that, whether it was Half-Life or Borderlands or Far Cry, but it sometimes seems like there's a tendency to desaturate colors to create a more "naturalistic" look. "Less like a cartoon." Even though real life has bright, strong colors in nature.

For some reason there's often a move to use more muted colors in art once it gets more and more serious, or more "fine art," like at this painting site, I suppose it is mostly classified as "modern art": http://www.saatchiart.com/
but in painting in general due to the nature of paints you do not see a lot of bright colors. It comes out of oil painting tradition, I suppose. Rembrandt is a master of light, but his paintings always look unnaturally dark. Like this: https://www.google.com/search?es_sm=93&biw=1920&bih=935&tbm=isch&q=rembrandt+landscape+paintings&revid=591577817&sa=X&ei=LyCLVfLqLoyyggS4xYHIAQ&ved=0CCIQ1QIoAQ

So it could be just a preference people move toward as they get serious about beauty. Anything colorful is almost always regarded as more kiddie. A McDonalds that has bright colors also has a playpen outside, but some McDonalds style themselves in a modern "adult" fashion and use less bright colors to appeal to an older more single crowd.

--

A sulfurous part near a volcano is pretty bright yellow, too, from what I see on searches, like of this photo:
http://imgur.com/d3SNnia

DooM_RO said:

From now on, I'm going to post it whenever people say it's a brown game.

I posted that image awhile back, but it got lost in a tsunami of emotions and tears. As you say, keep posting that picture.

Kore said:

Why does everyone post that ugly as sin recolor? Simply removing the filters makes everything look more colorful.
http://imgur.com/a/vZbOM

Why do they insist on adding filters?

everything on that looks really good besides the cyberdemon one. I'm not a huge fan of the color pallet that id chose. looks a bit dull and doom3-esque

Kore said:

Why do they insist on adding filters?

I agree, those screenshots look so much better without the yellow filter. Is it possible to do that using Reshade?

I like the un-filtered look, too. I've seen several examples where filters were intentionally removed to make a game look "better," and, big surprise: It usually does look better.

The photoshop looks terrible. I understand what you mean about the lighting. A sky that red would cast a redness over everything (which would be cool, especially in a dark, seemingly wet environment)...but seriously, that photoshop is total fucking cheese, and I don't understand why so many people are letting nostalgia obscure their taste.

The initial colors of DOOM are red and grey, even Doom 3 was truethful to this palette. So the yellow look of the new one feels off and distant.

And color scheme of hell can be as fantastic as sick imagination can give birth. The laws of physics should not apply there, so red sky and grey sand will only enchance the surreal effect that something is off and this place is supernatural.

I am a bit ambivalent on Hell but I think the Foundry level is spot on.

My personal hope is that each level looks very different from the last. Level 2 is a foundry and level 3 is something completely different with completely different assets and lighting but still following the art style. One level should be very yellow, another very blue, another very red and so forth.

DooM_RO said:

I am a bit ambivalent on Hell but I think the Foundry level is spot on.

My personal hope is that each level looks very different from the last. Level 2 is a foundry and level 3 is something completely different with completely different assets and lighting but still following the art style. One level should be very yellow, another very blue, another very red and so forth.

Perhaps it gets redder as you go underground.

I think they both look awful. The one on the left looks the same color overall without enough variance to be very interesting. The one on the right doesn't respect lighting at all.

J.B.R said:

Recolored? No thanks, if i were that guy i would wait for the game to come out and then wait for someone to create a recolor mod.

I don't think there is going to be mod capabilities, they only seem to be making a map editor for it.

New screenshot proves that there is no "piss filter":

What some of you took for a filter is just desert haze in outdoor parts.

Tetzlaff said:

New screenshot proves that there is no "piss filter":

What if the filter changes over time in different maps / parts of maps during the game?

How about something like this? I literally just took the original image, slapped it into GIMP, and dialed down the saturation of the color yellow. I like to think it looks better.

Just for reference, the original: