Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

Yes basssist Chris Squire has passsed away

I just saw this on Yes' Facebook feed and had to post about it.

This is really sad.
Being a huge fan of Yes, it really hurts to seem him go like this.
I actually had the chance to see the band while he was still here last year.
I even met them and had my picture taken with them.
They signed my Close to the Edge vinyl and tour poster.

I was scared to see this coming considering how they said he was suffering from acute leukemia last month.
Now that it's actually happened, it feels real bad.

RIP Chris Squire
You're swimming with the fishes now.
;_;

I read it like "Yes! Chris Squire passed away" and I got really confused as to why you would say that when you mourn him in the post.

SavageCorona said:

I read it like "Yes! Chris Squire passed away" and I got really confused as to why you would say that when you mourn him in the post.

Same here.

I read it like "Yes, Chris Squire passed away", as if he was confirming a rumor or something.

Chris was Yes - the only consistant member, so I wonder what is the future for the band? Maybe they'll call it quits and Steve will just do Asia for the rest of his career.

Saw 'em in 2012. Good show.

Technician said:

Chris was Yes - the only consistant member, so I wonder what is the future for the band? Maybe they'll call it quits and Steve will just do Asia for the rest of his career.

From what I understand, they'll probably keep going.
Should they decide to go through with the tour in August, they'll have Billy Sherwood filling in for him.
This isn't the first time this has happened:
Jon Anderson left Yes in 1988 due to feeling constrained with the direction they were going, so he formed a new band with his old Yes members called Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, with Tony Levin filling in on bass.
Also, the idea of Yes spanning for many generations with different, younger members filling in others' roles if need be has been tossed around quite a bit.

I saw them in 2000 for their Ladder tour. Lurch always had amazing energy when he played. He will be missed.

My favourite band.
Great musician.
I saw them around 1997 (Anderson, Howe, Squire, White, Sherwood, Khoroshev).

Good to hear Doomworld people know, remember and appreciate.

RIP

I stayed away from Yes back when I was a teenager since my first band was Pink Floyd and gosh darn people were so vehement about how worthless Pink Floyd was compared to the supremacy of Yesmusic. Then I grew up and now I treasure that run of albums from 1970 to 1974. Well maybe not so much Tales From Topographic Oceans. Squire was a key part of a fantastic ensemble, and I am sorry to see him pass.

schindleria praematurus lives

Revved said:

Also, the idea of Yes spanning for many generations with different, younger members filling in others' roles if need be has been tossed around quite a bit.

The irony here is that the younger (in his 40s) guy Benoit David who succeeded Anderson in the iteration I saw in 2011 just couldn't cope physically with the touring life. He often got sick with a cold or whatever and did his best to shrug it off while performing. The show I went to was the last one before they had to prematurely cancel the tour since he stressed his voice to the point of getting laryngitis.

Revved said:

From what I understand, they'll probably keep going.
Should they decide to go through with the tour in August, they'll have Billy Sherwood filling in for him.
This isn't the first time this has happened:
Jon Anderson left Yes in 1988 due to feeling constrained with the direction they were going, so he formed a new band with his old Yes members called Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, with Tony Levin filling in on bass.

Jon Anderson is nowhere near as important as Chris Squire. Chris Squire owned the band's name and wrote most of their music. ABWH was a pile of flaming garbage except for "Brother of Mine".

GeckoYamori said:

The irony here is that the younger (in his 40s) guy Benoit David who succeeded Anderson in the iteration I saw in 2011 just couldn't cope physically with the touring life. He often got sick with a cold or whatever and did his best to shrug it off while performing. The show I went to was the last one before they had to prematurely cancel the tour since he stressed his voice to the point of getting laryngitis.

Huh, so that's why he quit. I wondered why anyone would drop out of such a great gig. He was essentially Jon Anderson's clone.

Gah, "Yes" is one of those bands that I absolutely adored growing up because my dad was into that kind of music, so I was constantly exposed to it. I mean, I still remember my dad's album of "Journey to the Center of the Earth," which was a musical interpretation of the story, and "Yes" did a lot of work on the music. I don't believe Chris Squire was involved in that particular project, though, but just the association with the band hits me hard.