Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tammuz

Doom 1 DLC for the new DOOM?

Anyone have any info on the supposed Doom 1 DLC? I would very much appreciate it.
Speculation is also welcome.

wheresthebeef said:

Play new Doom for new Doom, not for a remake DLC

Playing DOOM 1 in DOOM 4s engine would be pretty cool though.

This is a pretty awesome idea for DLC, I'm totally down for this. Also, how cool would it be to have quake as well? How many enemy types could be switched out with new Doom enemies without gameplay being messed with too much?

Obzen said:

This is a pretty awesome idea for DLC, I'm totally down for this. Also, how cool would it be to have quake as well? How many enemy types could be switched out with new Doom enemies without gameplay being messed with too much?

According to SteamDB id are working on a project called Codename Ranger or something like that, so a new Quake game some time in the future isn't too far fetched. If any Q1 DLC comes out, it'd be with that.

Marnetmar said:

According to SteamDB id are working on a project called Codename Ranger or something like that, so a new Quake game some time in the future isn't too far fetched. If any Q1 DLC comes out, it'd be with that.

codename ranger, huh? bc obvious codename is obvious lol.

hopefully we can collectively put off the next global cataclysm long enough for that one to make it out.

Just doom 1? Why not go the whole nine yards and go Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Dooms as either expansions or map packs? Why not include weapon packs that give the player alternative sets of weapons that look closer to the original classics? Why not have monster skin packs that convert enemies to look just like the legendary monsters that started it all?

Just being sarcastic with all that. id Software wouldn't be that clever. After all these years they know what most of us really want and why websites like this even exist. If sales don't give Zenimax the "killer app" ratings and earnings they project unrealistically. Doom 4 may very well be id Software's last game before Zenimax shuts down that branch and lays off the staff. You could only hope there would be a lot of extra content to this game if that is the most likely scenario.

At the least. Why not just have some reskins to monsters and weapons? I'm not particularly thrilled with all the grey and Doom 3 saying "hi" again after all this time. Either I'm just old, or I liked the original Doom too much.

Can we drop the term DLC, like right now? Back in the old days it was talked as Expansion Pack, not DLC not moneyripping scheme but expansion pack and imo they were totally worth it.

quakke said:

Can we drop the term DLC, like right now? Back in the old days it was talked as Expansion Pack, not DLC not moneyripping scheme but expansion pack and imo they were totally worth it.

Expansion Packs typically got a physical retail release and DownLoadable Content is just that, downloadable.

wheresthebeef said:

Expansion Packs typically got a physical retail release and DownLoadable Content is just that, downloadable.

He's right though. Expansions might've been similar in concept to DLC, but they were totally more worth it as they actually gave you content that was worth your money. Usually

Xaero_Four said:

He's right though. Expansions might've been similar in concept to DLC, but they were totally more worth it as they actually gave you content that was worth your money. Usually

As does DLC; there is good DLC and bad DLC, the same as EPs were. Doesn't change the fact they are called DLC because they are almost all exclusively downloadable.
The name of it doesn't make a difference to the provided content. A rose by any other name and all that.

wheresthebeef said:

Play new Doom for new Doom, not for a remake DLC

While I agree with your sentiment, I think you made a rash post right there. The guy was only asking for potential information, not stating that he only cared for DOOM 4 because of the DLC.

I think someone will just make a Doom 2 -> Doom 4 map converter. Probably not very hard to do?

Memfis said:

I think someone will just make a Doom 2 -> Doom 4 map converter. Probably not very hard to do?

And it would probably suck.

It would definitely suck. You can't just convert levels from the 2.5D era and get any decent results in a modern day engine.

But if the SnapMap tools are as easy to use as they say, there will definitely some recreations of classic Doom maps by fans.

Nothing has been officially said reagarding any DLC or pre order bonuses although I think DOOM 1 & 2 being included with all copies of DOOM would be cool.

Classic levels aren't a huge deal to me- fans would just make those maps anyway. I'd be in favor of classic monsters and weapons moreso than maps. In a way the Doom 3 Hellknights and plasma gun didn't feel like this was more than a Doom 3 sequel, the Mancubus is almost unrecognizable(the stretched body makes me think of Doom 64, but the face is way off) and the Cyberdemon looks more like some Todd McFarlane monster toy than the Cyberdemon. Come to think of it, despite the gameplay trailers making it hard to see details, the only one that really evoked the classic was the Revenant- then it flies. Then again, the trailer felt more like I was watching a new Metroid Prime trailer than Doom, come on, monsters dropping health and weapon pickups as glowing things? Well... I guess it still felt more like vintage Doom than Doom 3 did, we do have health packs and no stupid 2 gun limit, it's not turning into the sheer disappointment that DNF was, but still, at parts it felt like they threw in a lot of Halo and Metroid Prime influence.

I'm not strictly asking for it to be the Doom 1 and nothing but because I can just play Doom original at any time, but I'd think if they're going to do classic Doom DLC then maps alone wouldn't cut it, give me some new models for the monsters that look more like the originals as some sort of sales incentive. Better yet, something that adds the old monsters alongside the new- you're fighting the new Mancubus, while suddenly a second fatter one walks out and fires off 6 fireballs. Some monsters have totally new behavior and a simple reskin-remodel wouldn't feel totally right, especially not a classic Hellknight with the way the new ones jump around.

Hell, why not a Doom 64 monster pack?

And oh yeah, if their idea of DLC turns out to be the original games and that's it, well, that would suck. I'd think most anyone who wants the original games has them by now either from the 90s, from Steam or some other format. They were included as freebies in the Xbox port of Doom 3, they don't need to be sold again. At this point they should just be free inclusions with the game as a day one purchase incentive.

NoisM said:

As for me, it's only about new content for SnapMap.

A very nice side effect of new DLC content eh?

I pray they do this but I doubt it will be an exact remake of the blocky 2.5D maps with got with Ultimate doom.

Tetzlaff said:

It would definitely suck. You can't just convert levels from the 2.5D era and get any decent results in a modern day engine.

How it would be worse than playing Doom 2 on some fancy port like Doomsday with hires textures and everything?

Memfis said:

How it would be worse than playing Doom 2 on some fancy port like Doomsday with hires textures and everything?

When you port everything into a new engine, alls fine because everything acts as the way they were intended, but if you port the maps themselves into a different game, the game balance is all completely changed.
The enemies in the new Doom won't behave exactly as they do in the original Doom, so it won't have the same feel. You also have the ability to double jump and mantle onto ledges now, which means the levels would have to be redesigned with this in mind. There's also a host of other changes to the game that need to be kept in mind when doing stuff like this. If you just keep all the geometry the exact same, then you get stuff like the Hollywood Holocaust map in Duke Nukem Forever; it looks terrible.
This is why I'd rather not get a Doom remake DLC for new Doom; I'd rather have DLC based on Earth or something new, not a remake. If a few original Doom and Doom 2 levels were remade for multiplayer, that I'd like to see, but I'd rather the time spent remaking it for singleplayer be spent on making something new.

wheresthebeef said:

The enemies in the new Doom won't behave exactly as they do in the original Doom, so it won't have the same feel. You also have the ability to double jump and mantle onto ledges now, which means the levels would have to be redesigned with this in mind. There's also a host of other changes to the game that need to be kept in mind when doing stuff like this.

Everything you just listed has convinced me this is a cool idea. Seeing the old maps re-imagined and full of neat twists and turns, new areas and secrets only seems like a good thing to me. Sounds fun.