Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

DeathMetalAccountant said:

This one has 2.5 rooms done so I'm probably 2.5x more likely to finish it...

http://s23.postimg.org/bzx10zm3f/3xlikelya.png
http://s3.postimg.org/pcc0iyd5v/3xlikelyb.png

Not bad. Visuals and detailing are OK. But it's again just a corridor where combat can only take place on a flat ground, and the low staircases won't change the principle much at all. Raised ledges, raised windows, high staircases, maybe even lifts in open space in the middle of rooms, would be used to spice it up, so that both the player and monsters will have varied opportunities how to attack and where to go for their advantage.

Aaaaand it's another waste of an evening spent on pointlessly jazzing up piles of ancient shit:

Ended up changing the flow and cutting some bits of this one out in the process; originally the vast majority of the map could be skipped entirely and in a matter of seconds.
Before
After

Looking good Baron.

Experimenting with a custom sky for 'Way Too Many Dead Guys'. I blended RSKY1 from DOOM2 and Espi's custom sky from 'Back To Basics'. Tiles vertically.

Marnetmar said:

I'd create some space between the windows and the bloodfalls, and make the left wall on the entrance to the corridor thicker as well. Other than that, looking mighty fine c:

Thanks for the insight, buddy!

I originally wanted to post a few screenshots from a map I made, but when I ran ZDoom, I found out everything turned into a weird drunk motion blur/fadeout trip, to the point of the game being completely unplayable. It looks even worse in action than on screenshots. If it was less noticeable and the fadeout duration was way shorter, it would've actually been a cool effect, but as it is, it just fucks the game up.

an unfinished room of the map I was meaning to screenshot,
E2M7, blurry as shit,
and trippy E1M7.

Neither Chocolate Doom nor vanilla on DOSBox do this, by the way. Just ZDoom. Not quite sure what's going on.
Maybe I should stop using ZDoom.

scifista42 said:

Not bad. Visuals and detailing are OK. But it's again just a corridor where combat can only take place on a flat ground, and the low staircases won't change the principle much at all. Raised ledges, raised windows, high staircases, maybe even lifts in open space in the middle of rooms, would be used to spice it up, so that both the player and monsters will have varied opportunities how to attack and where to go for their advantage.

There's plenty of height-fighting elsewhere in the map including most of the things you mentioned, only the places where it occurs are unfinished and still look like crap. Thanks for keeping on my case about this though, really! :)

Decided to start a thing, after the amount of fun I had with these resources for NOVA II.

(I'll post a thread for it once a few of the maps are done)

Okay, more of my GZDoom map. This is the starting room:

Drop down the hole and you end up:

Here. I've posted this room before, this is just from a different angle.

I made the following multi storey room today:

Those holes let the player peer down into the lower part:

The player can jump into the water and gain access to the room on the left.

Dave the Daring, that's like Quakendoom... or doom the Quakening... Quake of Doom.

Though, a little bland when it comes to light based contrast. It must be a tiny nightmare to figure out the room over room while mapping in pure 2D for 2.5D game.

@FireFish I'm relying solely on dynamic lighting for the time being. I'll look more into the relationship between sector brightness and dynamic lighting once the layout is complete.

As for 3d floors, it's been made a whole lot easier since this was released. I recommend more people check it out.

And the working title for this project is now QuackenDoom, because ducks. Um, yeah.

Dave you can "turn on" and "turn off" dynamic lights, so for the red force-field you could use a larger red one and have it toggle as it does~

EDIT: Wait that's not a force-field...derp D:

@Dave The Daring: Oh, is that the same map you showed me yesterday? You never told me about there being any pit-diving :p

Anyways intriguing height variation, and the use of all-brown is handled well enough to look appealing, but perhaps it'd be best to use a consistent highlighting/contrasting color to give it a little more spark. Maybe use the same shade of yellow as the hazard lines?

Jaxxoon R said:

Maybe use the same shade of yellow as the hazard lines?

I'm using yellow lights elsewhere in the map, and yes, it does seem better than the bog standard white. It gives the map a warmer feel, if that makes any sense.

Been messing around with subtractive lighting, which essentially adds dark areas to the map:

Right, no more screen grabs from me until I've got this map done.

I think it's a little too busy, using bricks next to marble with vines next to metal next to ugly recolored tekwall next to lite trims (<--look, it's busy even when you write it down). I consider the combination strange in a slightly worse way than a neutral strange-ness (I can't express it better). Structural design is not bad.

Here's the thing: It's supposed to be a mishmash of weird shit. That's what I'm going for with this map, not necessarily thematically confused, but thematically... odd, I suppose. Maybe it could be toned down a bit but at the same time I like how it currently looks.

AD_79 said:

It's supposed to be a mishmash of weird shit.

In that case, you've still got a lot to improve and learn from the mapper SuperCupcakeTactics. His maps work great because they're insanely varied in every aspect on every square meter, all of that with style. :)

Your own style is excellent too, though.

@AD_79 I see what you're going for and it works for me. Nice.

@sincity2100 Quite similar to AD's map in terms of varied textures that normally wouldn't be used together, but again it just works. Good job.