Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Annunakitty

Doom. It runs doom.

As it works now, the player stays in the arcade room and controls a separate object who acts like a player, but cannot change weapons, cannot press use, and there are probably more substantial limitations, tied to the fact that it's not the actual player who is playing E1M1. If the engine supported camera textures being redrawn without looking at them directly, it could have been done better, by letting the actual player enter E1M1, but keep a separate camera looking at the arcade screen (which shows E1M1 from the player's perspective), and simply change player's main view to the camera in the arcade room. Then, there would be no restrictions related to player's actions, and the view would look exactly the same as on this video.

EDIT: Wait, I realized maybe it would actually work, because it's not like multiple camera textures were used, therefore the arcade camera texture should be recalculated and the view should work.

As someone who was amused by the in-game arcades in Doom 3, this is pretty damn cool. Think of all the possibilities, such as speed runs within a speed run. Or if it could be scripted where you played a map on the console and activating a switch in there allows you to progress in the map you're actually playing.

nxGangrel said:

Well... That's pretty cool but, kinda pointless.

As are lots of things in life, but silly frivolous things like these do provide their joy.

Xegethra said:

As are lots of things in life, but silly frivolous things like these do provide their joy.

uh... okay..? To me "silly frivolous things" just waste my time (but I have exceptions). No offense.

I notice there are no monster sounds. Why is that?

Also I can't believe no one else has said this yet, yo dawg we heard you like Doom so we put a game in yo game so you can play while you play.

NoXion said:

yo dawg we heard you like Doom so we put a game in yo game so you can play while you play.

Get out and take 2008 with you.

nxGangrel said:

Well... That's pretty cool but, kinda pointless.

nxGangrel said:

uh... okay..? To me "silly frivolous things" just waste my time (but I have exceptions). No offense.

lol looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the hot cyberdemon ass

nxGangrel said:

Your ass. Pull your head out of it.

Marnetmar said:

Yeah seriously right?

Take away most pointless frivolity and you're left with very little. People need to lighten up and live longer. What is wrong with fun for the sake of fun? Yeah we all have different tastes, but that's still no real reason to totally discredit someone else's.

rdwpa said:

lol looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the hot cyberdemon ass

Well there are only two sides ;)

Marnetmar said:

Nah, you first.

Xegethra said:

Take away most pointless frivolity and you're left with very little. People need to lighten up and live longer. What is wrong with fun for the sake of fun? Yeah we all have different tastes, but that's still no real reason to totally discredit someone else's.

I didn't say I don't have fun or can't take a joke. While this is really creative, it's quite pointless and not really in a fun way. But for this thing in particular I'd actually like to see more of it, just not what it presented. But whatever, I guess I'm just that hateable.

nxGangrel said:

I didn't say I don't have fun or can't take a joke. While this is really creative, it's quite pointless and not really in a fun way. But for this thing in particular I'd actually like to see more of it, just not what it presented. But whatever, I guess I'm just that hateable.

I see, I'm not hating anybody, I just like things like this. Seeing the different things people can do with their gaming, whether it has a point or not.

With mouselook enabled in the arcade machine? Ps-shaw, not likely.

Good thread, 10/10 would thread again.
No joke though, I'd go to an arcade if somewhere had a real life doom cabinet. But a doom cabinet inside a doom cabinet? hot damn.

3_nights said:

a doom cabinet inside a doom cabinet? hot damn.

Inside a doom cabinet, inside a doom cabinet, inside a doom cabinet...

NoXion said:

I notice there are no monster sounds. Why is that?

Someone kicked in the arcade machine's speakers?

I like it.

NoXion said:

yo dawg we heard you like Doom so we put a game in yo game so you can play while you play.

you can't not be feelin' this

3_nights said:

I'd go to an arcade if somewhere had a real life doom cabinet. But a doom cabinet inside a doom cabinet? hot damn.

Anyone remember this?

Heh. Doom in Doom, or the illusion of Doom in Doom. I cant be surprised by this beause of all the engines, mods... and in general anything i have ever played online or offline since 2004.

Somebody must have had some fun figuring this one out while making it.

nxGangrel said:

You posted your own opinion like anybody else does, but some people have a really hard time with opinions which are not the same as their own, even for opinions where nobody is wrong.

Congrats on the GameSpot article.

As far as I can tell this is just a script which creates a dummy player object elsewhere and has its viewpoint displayed on the arcade screen? I don't think it's a "Doom port" in the typical sense.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is funny, but I don't think it's that spectacular. And I'm kinda annoyed by all these news websites reporting on this as if this was the same as any other Doom port.

Game websites are shockingly lazy. When a bunch of places wrote about Instadoom, basically the only one that really did any original research into their story was the Huffington Post of all places.