Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom II Guy

CD Burners (real dumb question)

Alright, I'm going to buy a cd burner (how much do they run for, 100 bucks maybe?). What I want to know is, if I use re-writable cd's could I keep on adding files to the cd? I'm running out of disk space, so I want to burn my WAD files and games to different cds. Since I constantly download new WADS, I'd like to continually add them to the same disk. That's how it works correct? I wouldn't have to delete the content of the cd to add new stuff? Thanks for the help and I hope you understand my gibberish.

Yes as long as you do not finalise it, use it like an extra 800 MB drive with windows explorer

Doom II Guy said:

Huh?

just use a cd-rw cd, and when burning the cd, do not finalize it. that will not allow you to burn anymore on that cd.

AndrewB said:

Why would CD-RW's have a "finalize" option anyway? What's the point?

Good question...and I don't know...

Well the cd's I burn always ask me if I want to finalise, no biggie, as long as he knows he can use his RW to continually add them to the same disk, he is ok isn't he?

well finalizing a cd-r means thats it, the disc is done.

a cd-rw on the other hand, acts like a floppy in that you can delete and add data any time. but, afaik, if you finalize that it's also done with. i am not positive since i don't use cd-rws that often.

And we're back at the whole 'What's the point of using a CD-RW for that?' thing again.

Doom II Guy said:

But how much does a good cd burner cost?

As much as Fodders's charges to rent the space under his name. ;)

Doom II Guy said:

I got it now, thanks for the help guys. But how much does a good cd burner cost?

depends what country you are in, USA around $150? UK £100? Argentina 100,000,000 pesos nowadays. If you ARe buying one now, get a burnproof one

You'll probably be paying somwhere between $150 and $250, assuming your in the U.S.

fodders said:

get a burnproof one

Does that have something to do with overburning?

Assmaster said:

Does that have something to do with overburning?

fuck knows I used to own single speed cdroms, what do I know? BURN-Proof stands for Buffer-Under-Run Proof.
BURN-Proof is accomplished by a combination of hardware and firmware that is resident on the drive control electronics. It is expected that a large number of drive manufacturers will adopt BURN-Proof technology and incorporate it into their next generation offerings,most particularly 12x and higher. This is because the "Buffer Under Run" phenomenon becomes more pronounced as recording speeds increase. Because there are BURN-Proof controls,most popular recording application software vendors also provide support between the operating system and recording device.

I just bought a Sony 32x/10x/40x CD-RW drive the other week. Cost me $60 after rebates.

Where did you buy yours, Ling? I've been looking for one myself. AAFES sells last year's drek-hot models for about $70, and the top-of-the-line run about $120. I've also thought about a DVD burner, though the ones that don't come with cute molded plastic attatched still run about $300.