Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Doom Wiki should get a new name IMO

Eris Falling said:

I was hoping that was a joke, SavageCorona. But just like real life cesspools, it's not surprising that Wikia is full of shit like that.

Also, Adblock plus racked up a count of 25 on that page. Holy shit

EDIT: Of course, I suppose the lack of Brutal Doom infecting an entire wiki is why the real Doom Wiki is called the Doomworld wiki, because it means the doomwiki doesnt like brutal doom and only the elitist berks at doomworld don't like doodle broom

It really unfortunately isn't a joke as much as I sugar coated it as one.

I guess I missed this point of information: who is actually maintaining the shit wiki? I see there are lots of recent updates from anonymous "wikia contributors". Is this someone staffed by them? some sort of automated process that rips shit from elsewhere? Or am I naive in thinking anyone actively contributing to a wiki would be in touch enough with the community to realize which one is legit?

Ribbiks said:

I guess I missed this point of information: who is actually maintaining the shit wiki? I see there are lots of recent updates from anonymous "wikia contributors". Is this someone staffed by them? some sort of automated process that rips shit from elsewhere? Or am I naive in thinking anyone actively contributing to a wiki would be in touch enough with the community to realize which one is legit?

Last I checked, one of the main maintainers was Justice Infinity, aka Doomguy 2000.

I always thought it should just be called "The Official Doom Wiki." Then both "Doom" and "Wiki" remain entered in the search engine. Sounds more proffesional than the "real" Doom wiki.

Thar would be better but what would make it "official"? Who has the power to grant it "official" status?

A search engine will always display a link to WIKIA, which people will click on, notwithstanding the status of the "Real" WIKI.

It might be advantageous to add an index page to the front of http://www.doomworld.com/vb to display two links:

Or something like it with snazzy imagery to make it exciting. :)

Enjay said:

Thar would be better but what would make it "official"? Who has the power to grant it "official" status?

Id Software.

And I'm not convinced there's anything to gain from changing the name.

esselfortium said:

Last I checked, one of the main maintainers was Justice Infinity, aka Doomguy 2000.

They get various edits from people registered on the network and more active on other Wikias. That, IMHO, is one of the few good things about their setup now: ease of integration between wikias and an attempt at establishing a cross-wiki community.

Kappes Buur said:

A search engine will always display a link to WIKIA, which people will click on, notwithstanding the status of the "Real" WIKI.

Not necessarily. If it's not considered reliable enough, doesn't get many inbound links, gets a reputation hit due to distributing malware etc., it will drop. It also won't turn up on searches for terms that it doesn't cover.

What the RRREAL DoomWiki needs is more original articles that can generate enough visits to bump wikia off from Google Search.

I don't see a reason for a name, but the one Guy who said "Mancuwiki" has a good Idea for a name, but It should stay the same.

Jon said:

Not necessarily. If it's not considered reliable enough, doesn't get many inbound links, gets a reputation hit due to distributing malware etc., it will drop. It also won't turn up on searches for terms that it doesn't cover.

Wanna bet that they PAY for their search rank? No, it's not gonna drop, money will see for that. I repeat: The only thing to render it worthless is to deface the content in a manner that doesn't look like defacing. The Brutal Doom thing still looks like a feasible way of accomplishing that to me.

One thing is certain: If we leave this to the Wikia staff it'll remain a constant annoyance.

Graf Zahl said:

The Brutal Doom thing still looks like a feasible way of accomplishing that to me.

Riddling the text of all regular articles with factually (and grammatically) correct information on Brutal Doom and its features to the point where users scream for the Brutality to stop sounds like poetic justice and very subtle trolling. I'm a little worried the world in general is ignorant enough to unironically appreciate it, though.

Jon said:

As for search engine prominence, I think we need to address that with quality content, especially in areas wikia is weak (doom 4), and play the long game.

Couldn't agree more.  If we had clearly superior content 98% of the time, the problem would vanish.  How soon that happens depends on how many clueful community members contribute regularly.

Assuming a fair world where Wikia doesn't outright buy their position on Google's ranks.

I dunno, I think there should be Wikis dedicated to the original games other then having DOOM 3 and the new DOOM In the bunch, they should get their own Wikis while the originals are In a clean state. That way It won't be much of a fuckery.

Tritnew said:

I dunno, I think there should be Wikis dedicated to the original games other then having DOOM 3 and the new DOOM In the bunch, they should get their own Wikis while the originals are In a clean state. That way It won't be much of a fuckery.

Although I'm not personally interested in doom3 or 4 content, having it there is useful to keep the site popular and alive, and you can mostly ignore it if you want to. If you wanted a "pure" classic wiki, where would you draw the line, and which side would console ports, doom 64 etc go?

Jon said:

Although I'm not personally interested in doom3 or 4 content, having it there is useful to keep the site popular and alive, and you can mostly ignore it if you want to. If you wanted a "pure" classic wiki, where would you draw the line, and which side would console ports, doom 64 etc go?

I can agree, but If there was a Wiki meant for the classics, pretty sure the original Trilogy will be In there (DOOM 1, 2, and 64).

Why 1, 2, 64 instead of 1, 2, Final? You'll get just as many people who wouldn't want to see Doom 64 on the wiki as those who wouldn't want Doom 3 there.

I suppose 3 & 64 could join the other platform ports in a "Not quite Doom, but not for lack of trying" Wiki. ;)

64, 3 and 4 are all Doom, just different forms of it. Absolutely no reason to bar them from the wiki.

Quasar said:

Changing to anything else would be legitimizing the other site, not going to happen.

I don't disagree, but Wikia has no intention of giving up the name either. In any case, I made this thread to foster discussion, I'm really not too confident in any of my own suggestions.

GreyGhost said:

I suppose 3 & 64 could join the other platform ports in a "Not quite Doom, but not for lack of trying" Wiki. ;)

Pfft. xD; And as for Final DOOM, It was just like a Expansion Pack made by the fans to be completely honest, though In this case the DOOM Wiki would have to require all that's DOOM, and that makes perfect sense since... DOOM, afterall, I think the ORIGINAL Trilogy was DOOM 1, 2, and 64, and maybe Final DOOM Included In there. Though... You gotta admit, DOOM 64 wasn't that bad, at least It wasn't as worse and It was true to DOOM more than DOOM 3.

We cover everything Doom related, from toys to the movie to the new generation games. We also cover all the original Doom engine games (Heretic, Hexen, and Strife). Suggesting any change to this would mean removing literal megabytes of awesome information and devaluing our site. I've not seen a worse suggestion so far, to be unapologetically frank. Feel free to make the suggestion that they should remove all non-classic-Doom content at the other site though, sure :) After all, wikia already does have independent wikis on Heretic/Hexen, Chex Quest, etc. which compete with each other for users' attentions instead of functioning as a cohesive entity.

We never want to be "official." Because "official" always implies corporate controls and serious compromises being implemented. To give a small example, mentioning Battle.net emulators, even the mere existence of them as a concept, will get you banned from the official World of Warcraft wiki, because that is part of the agreement they had to make with Blizzard in order to attain such an appellation. And for all it's worth, Google still returns wikia's rotted ancient barely maintained wowwiki in search results more often than them. So in short, "official" status is worthless.

Anyway, I've been working tirelessly on this SEO problem for the last four years and have seen a lot of improvements in the meanwhile. If you want to help, then start actually linking to us. Everywhere. Are you mentioning Doom on your Facebook? Then for god's sake include a wiki link to the topic. You will obtain a nice social media card for the post, as I have added twitter card optimization through customized extensions.

Not to be rude, but, what I don't really need and doesn't benefit the Doom Wiki in any way is a bunch of lecturing and rumination on things that aren't up for debate or open to change, especially not by people who don't actively involve themselves on the wiki.

Quasar said:

We cover everything Doom related, from toys to the movie to the new generation games. We also cover all the original Doom engine games (Heretic, Hexen, and Strife). Suggesting any change to this would mean removing literal megabytes of awesome information and devaluing our site. I've not seen a worse suggestion so far, to be unapologetically frank. Feel free to make the suggestion that they should remove all non-classic-Doom content at the other site though, sure :) After all, wikia already does have independent wikis on Heretic/Hexen, Chex Quest, etc. which compete with each other for users' attentions instead of functioning as a cohesive entity.

We never want to be "official." Because "official" always implies corporate controls and serious compromises being implemented. To give a small example, mentioning Battle.net emulators, even the mere existence of them as a concept, will get you banned from the official World of Warcraft wiki, because that is part of the agreement they had to make with Blizzard in order to attain such an appellation. And for all it's worth, Google still returns wikia's rotted ancient barely maintained wowwiki in search results more often than them. So in short, "official" status is worthless.

Anyway, I've been working tirelessly on this SEO problem for the last four years and have seen a lot of improvements in the meanwhile. If you want to help, then start actually linking to us. Everywhere. Are you mentioning Doom on your Facebook? Then for god's sake include a wiki link to the topic. You will obtain a nice social media card for the post, as I have added twitter card optimization through customized extensions.

Not to be rude, but, what I don't really need and doesn't benefit the Doom Wiki in any way is a bunch of lecturing and rumination on things that aren't up for debate or open to change, especially not by people who don't actively involve themselves on the wiki.

It was very nice of You to be In the thread! I gotta really agree with what You said.

Quasar said:

We cover everything Doom related, from toys to the movie to the new generation games. We also cover all the original Doom engine games (Heretic, Hexen, and Strife).

That's one of my favorite parts of the Doom Wiki. One stop shopping, lol

I don't really use social networking sites like fb, but ill post links whenever I can get away with it :)

Quasar said:

I apologize if I've irritated you. I was just cooking up stupid ideas and was curious to see how valid they were. I was ruminating, yes, but I didn't want to come across like I'm lecturing (though I can see how I might have).

Just know that most of my posts of the OP's nature are more "wishy-washy" and casual without the intent to be taken too seriously.

Quasar said:

We never want to be "official." Because "official" always implies corporate controls and serious compromises being implemented.

I meant "official" as in official as designated by the community. Keep the likes of Zenimax far away, of course! I probably should have clarified that I wasn't using the word literally.

I figured a name association with Doomworld would help to drive that point home to newbies, and thus impulsively tossed my brainfart out like I usually do without refining it first.

Quasar said:

If you want to help, then start actually linking to us.

I suppose what I was trying to imply was that if Doomworld's front page more prominently linked to the wiki, that alone would be a huge help. Again, I should've been clearer and more concise, I wasn't as focused and used only one draft.

There needs to be a big fat link that screams for attention*. The current link, while not hidden, hardly stands out. Most visitors to the front page probably don't notice it. I'm sure this can be taken into consideration for the pending website overhaul.

Something that says (even if not literally) "Hey, newbie! Go HERE for the official community wiki!" To clarify, I don't mean something obnoxious and distracting. Just designed to be extremely noticeable, yet unobtrusive.

Sodaholic said:

I apologize if I've irritated you. I was just cooking up stupid ideas and was curious to see how valid they were. I was ruminating, yes, but I didn't want to come across like I'm lecturing (though I can see how I might have).

That wasn't so much directed at you as just a statement in general. I see a lot of input from people that I'm not familiar with being involved on the wiki, which is fine, but, they should try at least to invest in the community there in a minimal fashion, and understand the issues at hand before trying to advise on them IMO.

Sodaholic said:

I meant "official" as in official as designated by the community. Keep the likes of Zenimax far away, of course! I probably should have clarified that I wasn't using the word literally.

I think we're regarded that way for the most part. Doomworld in particular redirects links to us and links us on the main page. Doomworld is one of our top 5 referrers most of the time. The Doom subreddit is also highly supportive, and even I've even seen people get ridiculed for linking to wikia on 4chan /vr/.

Sodaholic said:

There needs to be a big fat link that screams for attention*. The current link, while not hidden, hardly stands out. Most visitors to the front page probably don't notice it. I'm sure this can be taken into consideration for the pending website overhaul.

It might help for some people who are unaware, but it won't help our web rank. A link is a link as far as Google sees it.