Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Heretic and Wintex, megawad roadblock, PLEASE HELP

Yesterday I was screwing around, making a few new flats/graphics for my heretic megawad. However, when I opened the main wad, I noticed there were no entries for the Heretic title pic, nor any of the level name graphics. Is this normal? Please help.

Guest Fanatic

Are you using the correct game mode in Wintex?

Yes. It says at the top: Game to edit: Heretic. I can find a lot of the heretic graphics, just not the titlepic or level names.

I should mention, not only are these graphics missing, but the graphic for the end of episode 2 (The pic of d'sparils dome) is discolorated.

OK, first off:

Doom's and Heretic's palettes are quite different. Importing textures made for Doom into Heretic will require in just a little discoloration if you're very lucky. One of the most annoying ones is that a certain shade of tan turns pink and you have to recolor all these pink pixels... grrr... You have to make sure the BMPs are 8-bit, anything more will get seriously screwed up. As 8-bit images, most of the textures made for Doom can get into Heretic without getting butchered too badly. I worked with importing Heretic textures for quite a while so if you want to pass some of these graphics on to me I'll try to see if I can get them to import any better than you could.

Second:

The end-of-E2 image is supposed to be like that (it's all silver and brown and red, right?). You know how it has that blue tint to it when you finish the episode? If you look under the WAD data, you'll find a color-map that is applied to that image in-game and re-colors it to what you see when you beat E2. If you're looking to edit it, I'm not sure that you can (easily). Most likely they used a reverse-output-colormap proggy to output the tinted image into the 256-color mess you see in the WAD with Wintex.

OK, first off:

Doom's and Heretic's palettes are quite different. Importing textures made for Doom into Heretic will require in just a little discoloration if you're very lucky. One of the most annoying ones is that a certain shade of tan turns pink and you have to recolor all these pink pixels... grrr... You have to make sure the BMPs are 8-bit, anything more will get seriously screwed up. As 8-bit images, most of the textures made for Doom can get into Heretic without getting butchered too badly. I worked with importing Heretic textures for quite a while so if you want to pass some of these graphics on to me I'll try to see if I can get them to import any better than you could.

The hell? I don't give a rats ass about importing doom textures. I'm saying that when I open the heretic main wad with wintex-you know, to copy entries into a new wad to edit-I cannot find an entry for the heretic titlepic graphic-you know, the one with corvus pointing a wand, and all these monsters around him, with a big HERETIC at the top-and i also cannot find entries for any of the level name graphics-you know, the ones at the end of each level that say THE DOCKS or OPHIDIAN LAIR or something-?

I'm asking what my problem is, why these entries are not in my main wad when I browse it's contents with wintex. I want to make a new titlepic and change the level names. That's my problem. I dont' know how you got that "importing texture" thing out of what I asked.

O, and thanks for the E2 pic info. I wasnt' going to edit it, I was just curious.

Relax. You were complaining about importing textures and discolorations. Probably from Fanatic's post.

Anyways, those don't have individual filenames. They're in the EXE. They use the green text in the GFX section. If you wanna change the level names you have to use an EXE patch.

The titlepic is the DATA section. It's called TITLE. It's a tome of power though, so I guess you don't have v1.3.

The title graphic, and some of the other full screen graphics in heretic are stored in a slightly different format to most graphics. I have an e-mail from Jack Vermeulen telling exactly what the difference is but I can't find it ATM. It is a fairly simple difference as I remember, but enough to throw most editors.

I did some stuff with heretic a few years ago and found that older versions of the wad had some (but not all) the full screen graphics in a format that could be handled by hacking utils. Later versions of the wad had few (if any) that could. Most utils will know the lump is there, but will be unable to preview it, or do anything useful with it.

The new version of DeePsea (Jack's editing program) can handle graphics in this format. If you are importing such a graphic using DeePsea, you need to make sure the IMGZ radio button is selected.

Yesterday I was screwing around, making a few new flats/graphics for my heretic megawad. However, when I opened the main wad, I noticed there were no entries for the Heretic title pic, nor any of the level name graphics. Is this normal? Please help.

You're right. I got "Heretic, Shadow of the Serpent Riders", which has the entry "TITLE" for the titlepic (= book in flames) but I cannot find the level entry names anymore. Something to do with the fact I upgraded Heretic to its extension..? Try this: install shareware Heretic (or just re-install plain Heretic from CD) and inspect the IWAD again, then just incorporate the found entry names in your pwad and see what happens.

I am pretty sure Lüt is right about this one.

There are no level specific name graphics in Heretic. Just a set of font graphics that Heretic uses to generate the level names on screen from data in the EXE.

Hmm, I could be wrong, but maybe the level name graphics are not single graphics (as in Doom), but generated "on the fly" as in Hexen.

The titlepic is the DATA section. It's called TITLE. It's a tome of power though, so I guess you don't have v1.3.

Thanx lut. And I just remembered about the tome of power, I have 1.3, but I only patched it up a week or two ago. I'm still used to corvus and his wand.

Nah, it just bordered on flamewar but managed to teater back into the realms of normal conversation, and had all sorts of mystical heretic haxoring information to boot.

but managed to teater back into the realms of normal conversation

It must have had something to do with Mordeth's unexpected appearance :)

The title graphic, and some of the other full screen graphics in heretic are stored in a slightly different format to most graphics...

Been busy coding:) These graphics are stored "as is" with no header information of any kind. The game is hard coded to decode them as 320x200. Some of them use a special palette (so you'll see odd colors in those). DeePsea displays all of them using the game palette.

Although IMGZ sort of works that puts a IMG "header" on the image that "shifts" the image (by the size of the header). IMGZ is intended for the new ZDOOM decal format. Nobody every asked about exporting/importing these raw images - so I assume there is little to no interest, although it would relatively easy to add by just expanding the FLAT type decoding.