Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

A six map DM wad.

Umm... yea, I have no life if you haven't figured that out by now. I just finished a mini DM wad. 6 maps. All green 'cause I'm texturally retarded. If you feel so inclined to retexture the maps, you have my permission to do so.

None of these maps have been playtested as I only just made them in the past week. So, like, playtest them and stuff. =D I don't really have the means, my computer is shite. Plus, getting games together takes so long and I enjoy mapping more than playing.

schmolze.com/~jacobi/Six Swix.zip

Map 03 is my favorite...no less of wall windows =D..they're all decent - I think all levels would be spicer with re-texturing...I may have a fiddle with em tonight....

I like the above architecture in map6 too...

nice work.

Thanks. I'd dig it if you tried your hand at working some spice into the texturing of the levels. =)

Are you so obsessed with those oldschool Doom 2 green textures?

btw, I like map06 ;)

I was obsessed with them for along time. But as you can see now it's the zimmmer green texture that I like. Although there were some Tekgren textures in there from map01 on one of the maps.

Yeah, nice work Hellbent. Keep up the mapping. Wish I could do that, but I tried once and failed miserably. I have 3 maps of my own but I'm too embarrassed to show them to anyone. Well, I showed them to bardcat but wished I hadn't, lol.

I see you also like the BROWNGRN texture a lot, eh? :P

Matt: You should have seen my first attempts at DOOM maps. :D I used to suck at mapping. In fact, I sucked for a long time; as in years. So, you know, there's always hope.

DoomBoy said:

I see you also like the BROWNGRN texture a lot, eh? :P

I love you DoomBoy, let's just get that much straight. :D

999cop had said:

Are you so obsessed with those oldschool Doom 2 green textures?

And then I replied: Hmm... nevermind this tirade. I was thinking that 999cop was talking about BROWNGRN textures, but I guess he was talking about Tekgren textures, the texture in the Map01 hallways. In that case, I was never obsessed with those textures. Only ever obsessed with BROWNGRN for awhile.

/me sticks foot in mouth

Hellbent said:

Matt: You should have seen my first attempts at DOOM maps. :D I used to suck at mapping. In fact, I sucked for a long time; as in years. So, you know, there's always hope.

I find that hard to believe - I've only seen two of your wads but I thought they were both brilliant. Well, I probably will try again one day, but not for a while, cos I can't be bothered, heh.

I meant all 3 kinds of green texture: BROWNGRN, TEKGREN2, and ZIMMER1. Actually, I like TEKGREN type of textures a lot, but I dislike the way you textured them with only one plain of pattern. It'd be better if you can give more varieties of visual on it. Try to split the linedefs into several parts and use different styles of TEKGREN on them, alike how author used on Doom2 map1. Like Fen Boi said in the other thread in Wads & Mods section, if each of your map clearly has its theme showing, it'd be a lot easier to determine which textures you should use. BROWNGRN looks all right to me...usually :p ; however, I dislike ZIMMER type of texures. If you wish to only use one texture, to me it would be STARTAN2. Toke uses that a lot :)

Technically I'm well versed with the editor (I know how to allign textures and use textures properly etc.) It's the artistic bit I lack.

Thanks Nightmare! I'm going to look at it right now. I'll let you know what I think in a bit.

Nice! That music is really fitting. Reminds me a bit of E3M8 music. So, like, uhh... feel free to do the 5 other levels. :p

I am working on a five-map DM wad, myself. :) I am trying to make it
as textually diverse as I can (from level to level). The first level
is brick\grass, and the second level is marble, so far.

I've never made a DM wad before, so I hope it will turn out OK.

Hellbent said:

Technically I'm well versed with the editor (I know how to allign textures and use textures properly etc.) It's the artistic bit I lack.

Yeah, I feel the same way as you do, too, indeed. I mean, for Doom textures, no matter how good you are at coloring or designing textures, limited color palletes is the most major problem that they need to be converting into the right ones with a proper artistic program. I just hate to see it happens when colors are screwed in textures :/

I hope Romero likes it to :) He downloaded it last night I think. Haven't heard a response yet. Here's an updated version: http://schmolze.com/~jacobi/RomeroDM.zip

It has 2 versions in it - MAP01 is the 1on1 version and MAP02 is the FFA version (best suited for 4 people methinks)

VolteFace: If you're not sure if the gameplay will be good, you can always try making maps with a horseshoe shape, like MAP01. John Romero had something interesting to say about MAP01 and the horseshoe design. Check it out at the rome.ro forums if you haven't already. It's in the thread "This is THE place."