Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RobinSena

Where are the 'Old Guard' Doom masters now?

Having recently become involved in the speedrunning thing, I was curious if anyone knew whatever came of some of the 'older' Doom masters. People such as Sedlo, Radek Pecka, Jim Leonard, Drew DeVore, Adam Hegyi, Anders Johnsen, Henning Skogsto, and perhaps a few others I can't think of offhand. (I'm also somewhat new to this site, so for all I know they could be members here if they're still involved with doom.)

I understand people become more involved with responsibilities (career, marriage, kids, a mortgage, etc.), but to be as good as some of them were and then kinda disappear would seem difficult for me to do if I was that good, especially given their amazing dexterity/skill. (I still think the most amazing video game run I've ever seen is the UV Max of E4M2 Perfect Hatred by Anders Johnsen.)

There's a video on youtube of a complete Nightmare! run of Doom 2, by rybacksda. Someone posted in the comment section for this video about a year or so ago under the name Henning Skogstoe, saying he was proud of his time of that particular run years ago. It could have been an 'imposter' I suppose, but I see no reason why it wasn't in fact him, so I guess they still keep an eye on the Doom community, although quietly.

A couple of them (Anders Johnsen, Jim Leonard/Xit-Vono) are still around and have posted fairly recently.

Drew DeVore (stx vile) and Ryback are also members here, but I think they haven't posted in a while.

Most of these old zombies pop into the #nightmare irc channel at quakenet.org every now and then.

Dunno about "Old Guard", but Doom is certainly old enough to have its fair share of "old farts" in general.

Istvan Pataki appeared in Winter 2011/2012, published about 3 runs, most notably requiem map23 -fast record, and disappeared again (DW nick: gpf.deity).
Stx-Vile posts here from time to time (DW nick: Vile). He stopped speedrunning for several years, made a grand comeback in Dec 2010. Since then, he publishes about 2-3 demos per year.
Radek Pecka and Adam Hegyi left for good.

Willing to be that any of the people listed would still say Doom2 is one of their all-time favorite video games if they were asked. You don't build up skills like that and just forget about them, even 15+ years down the track :^)

vdgg said:

Radek Pecka and Adam Hegyi left for good.

Radeg doesn't play anymore (and seems like he has no intention of returning), but he also stalks the night...mare... Please don't tell the pun police.

Good to hear many of them have stuck around, though perhaps not as active. When you set so many records, I guess it's hard for them to find continued motivation - they've pretty much done it all.

Reminds me of when I was a speedrunner for Mike Tyson's Punch Out - felt like I got fast enough to where I stopped being interested. Graduating from college the next week was certainly a 'life' factor that contributed to my stopping playing, perhaps similar to the great Doom speedrunners.

I hope everyone here sticks around for a while. Best of continued luck to the current great speedrunners on this site and this thread, especially j4rio - I have my eye on your 9:24 UV Max time for Mount Pain.

Hey hey, I have a fan !!

My tnt maxes are ancient and sucky, nobody should have problem beating those.