Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What's new in music?

dew said:

I connect industrial with early Einstürzende Neubauten, most of the rest seem to use the word as a poetic description of "raw sound" or whatever.

Yeah, or "metal with synthesizers". Which makes no sense whatsoever.

FireFish said:

Genres evolve, people do new or old things to them and time changes. learn to accept it. unless time machines would exist there is nothing anybody can do to stop the cultural progression which made industrial into a style with many branches.

Well, I think that "evolution" is a little relative, but I understand you and I agree partially. I think my problem is not with changes, but when something don't have anything related to what supposed to be. I mean, nothing at all. At this point, genres becomes absolutely useless.

And just to clarify, NIN is one of my favorite bands. But even Trent Reznor don't label your music as industrial, even if have some clear influences.

Noiser said:

Yeah, or "metal with synthesizers". Which makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, I think that "evolution" is a little relative, but I understand you and I agree partially. I think my problem is not with changes, but when something don't have anything related to what supposed to be. I mean, nothing at all. At this point, genres becomes absolutely useless.

And just to clarify, NIN is one of my favorite bands. But even Trent Reznor don't label your music as industrial, even if have some clear influences.

I also understand your point of view, and i also partially agree.

GoatLord said:

It seems to me that no new root genres are springing up. Root genres of music would include rock and roll, hip hop, punk, electronica, etc. These are base genres from which endless branching sub-genres emerge from. In the last few decades, numerous sub-genres have emerged which sometimes appear to be novel (such as "indie" music) but really belong to a a root genre ("punk," in this case, which paved the way for a lot of modern Caucasian/Western music). Another example would be dubstep, a sub-genre of dub which itself is related to ultimately to reggae music. This idea of new root genres which create an entirely new set of aesthetics for modern music seems to have died out somewhat, unless I'm mistaken. Everything I've heard, even in the DIY/avant garde scenes, seems closely related to an already well-defined genre.

I don't even listen to whatever is new nowadays. The music I prefer to listen to is Classic Rock, Thrash Metal, Grunge, and some Alternative Rock. In my opinion the early 2000's was the last of good rock music. Anything "new" that came out after 2005 is just crap.

To my understanding, electronica is a very broad genre that originated back in the 1980's. The only electronica music I ever really listened to was Nine Inch Nails. They still make some new stuff, but it's not nearly as good as their older albums like Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral. I honestly don't get why people like dubstep.... I fucking cringe when people make a comparison between Nine Inch Nails and dubstep.

I don't really think anything is innovative in the rock/metal genre anymore. Besides hip hop, the genre of music I would really like to see diminish from pop culture is country music.

I think that's a fair call, the only post-2005 metal bands I've heard that I really liked are fairly small/local bands, stuff like Vesper's Descent. That's always been the way in the music (and mainstream media) scene though - The turds float to the top, you gotta put on your scuba gear and swim well beneath said turds to find the gold :)

I'm just tired of 4/4, equal temperament, scales, beats, etc. I feel like more profound musical ideas exist, possibly on another planet, but here on Earth we're stuck with these tried-and-true methods.

Doomkid said:

I think that's a fair call, the only post-2005 metal bands I've heard that I really liked are fairly small/local bands, stuff like Vesper's Descent. That's always been the way in the music (and mainstream media) scene though - The turds float to the top, you gotta put on your scuba gear and swim well beneath said turds to find the gold :)

The only band I can really think of that is good for a post-2005 metal genre is Bullet for my Valentine. I used to be big into some Nu-Metal bands of the early to late 2000's like Disturbed, but now I kinda of lost interest in them for some reason.

Doomkid said:

The turds float to the top, you gotta put on your scuba gear and swim well beneath said turds to find the gold :)

This is the best quote I've heard all day LOL

GoatLord said:

*Hits Blunt*

You hit a lot of blunts my friend haha

I'm not seeing a whole lot wrong with music released this decade. Some of it riffs on what's come before, some of it makes rather great new combinations. But that's been the case for every decade of music since I've been alive.

I have been listening to The Enigma TNG. He has not developed a brand new genre with a super unique sound (if that's even possible anymore) but he makes a variety of music the tickles my fancy.

He seems to be a CyberGoth of sorts but makes a range of electronic music that can be from totally dramatic all the way to brutal dubstep. Some songs a really impressive and worth head banging, some make you emotional. Some sound totally sinister. I like that.

@Googerman, have you head of Visa? You might like them. Somewhat reminds me of Haken.

the_miano said:

You hit a lot of blunts my friend haha

Still haven't figured out what triggers the *hits blunt* thing. It's kinda dumb, especially since I almost never hit blunts, as they're really bad on the lungs and are less effective than vaping or bongs.

Anyway, why is everyone talking about metal? I'm talking about music in general.

Chezza said:

@Googerman, have you head of Visa? You might like them. Somewhat reminds me of Haken.

I had not come across them before... but it really doesn't surprise me that they're associated with/produced by Serj Tankian. System of a Down is certainly the more apt comparison.

GoatLord said:

I'm just tired of 4/4, equal temperament, scales, beats, etc. I feel like more profound musical ideas exist, possibly on another planet, but here on Earth we're stuck with these tried-and-true methods.

You have very interesting questions.

I don't know if I understand it entirely, but I think you can find some interesting stuff in electronic music (that goes beyond western patterns): electronica\idm, glitch, drone\ambient, electroacoustic (or contemporary music in general), industrial music (the original as you pointed, without rock or dance elements).

I think these are strongly associated with individual creativity (they all have your own "cliche" thing, but they are constantly changing, at least more than a strict, well-defined genre). I may be wrong, anyway.

Noiser said:

You have very interesting questions.

I don't know if I understand it entirely, but I think you can find some interesting stuff in electronic music (that goes beyond western patterns): electronica\idm, glitch, drone\ambient, electroacoustic (or contemporary music in general), industrial music (the original as you pointed, without rock or dance elements).

I think these are strongly associated with individual creativity (they all have your own "cliche" thing, but they are constantly changing, at least more than a strict, well-defined genre). I may be wrong, anyway.

I appreciate the suggestions, although I've already checked out that stuff. Maybe I just need to dig deeper into it. I make electronica music as well, I've been established since 2007 and have made about 180 instrumentals.

GooberMan said:

I had not come across them before... but it really doesn't surprise me that they're associated with/produced by Serj Tankian. System of a Down is certainly the more apt comparison.

You would be right. Very similar to System. I think Serj does produce for them. Took me a while to get use to Visa but over time I really started to enjoy their music.

Noiser said:

electronica\idm, glitch, drone\ambient, electroacoustic (or contemporary music in general).

GoatLord said:

Maybe I just need to dig deeper into it.

http://www.entity.be/entity/

Netlabels are the way to go, and entity has some nice releases.
Most of the time you can stream the albums after pressing the button named "more".

edit;

Spoiler

And the ghost maps album (2 big downloads) by vector burn for a more structured genre... http://internetrecordings.org/?p=968

GooberMan said:

I'm not seeing a whole lot wrong with music released this decade. Some of it riffs on what's come before, some of it makes rather great new combinations. But that's been the case for every decade of music since I've been alive.

Gooberman knows what's up. Haken are as good as Dream Theater when they made amazing stuff, Triptykon's stuff is easily on par with the best of CF and Leprous write quality prog in general.

I am not familiar with the industrial or electronic scene at all so can't comment on that.

Metal is seeing a lot of quality releases this decade across many of its subgenres. However, as with other genres of music it is still subject to trends and is currently plagued by stuff like djent. However, as with breakdowncore and nu-metal I expect this stuff to lose popularity and start fading away in the next couple of years. If you just ignore these trends, I am sure you will be able to find some quality stuff.

As for new genres...I think there is a lot of bands that experiment with their sound just enough not to sound overly similar to stuff of 80s, 90s and 00s. Whether what they are doing is completely new is debatable though.

This thread is lacking the best tool for finding new music. Too much music all the time
https://bandcamp.com/discover

It is the only reason why I was able to start a label (Tridroid Records) three or so years ago and kept it running over that time.

From what I've seen over the three years is that music is as strong as ever. It is just that the amount of music coming out is so massive wading through all the shit is harder than ever. I've just been sticking within the realm of metal for the most part and can nearly everyday find a new band/album that catches my attention. I never have a shortage of thing to check out only lack of time and money.

Yesterday I discovered Stone Healer.
https://stonehealer.bandcamp.com/album/he-who-rides-immolated-horses

A few day back Dreadnought released a really interesting album as it blends a lot of stuff
https://dreadnoughtdenver.bandcamp.com/album/bridging-realms

Genres are good to quickly find stuff that sound close to an album/band you like And make looking for stuff in a record store or online store easier. How I like music is when it doesn't follow any one genre but mixes up a bunch of stuff and make it as weird as possible.

From what I'm currently finding out there I'm excited to see what is coming next. Maybe my label will be lucky enough to be there releasing some of it.

Firedust said:

Gooberman knows what's up.

To be honest, I actually don't like that my knowledge in modern music is skewed heavily towards metal. My tastes are diverse, but as far as recommendations go the only reliable sources I have are for metal and all things associated.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there's been some fantastic shit released just in the last twelve months...

(This one's my favourite song of the year so far)

(The album this one is from was one of my most played in the tail end of last year)

GooberMan said:

To be honest, I actually don't like that my knowledge in modern music is skewed heavily towards metal. My tastes are diverse, but as far as recommendations go the only reliable sources I have are for metal and all things associated.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there's been some fantastic shit released just in the last twelve months...

Dude, you have a very diverse taste, in my opinion. I have the same 'problem', 99% of my music is rock and metal. At least you are one of those people who can actually appreciate different subgenres. The majority of the metalhead community is becoming pretty close-minded. To a lot of them it is mind-blowing how one can enjoy, say, Deafheaven, Darkthrone (old and new), Lamb of God, Megadeth, Fall Of Efrafa and Tesseract at the same time.

I haven't heard Alkaloid but the rest of that stuff I love and, yes, that Panopticon is fantastic, was also in my top 10 last year. Hopefully, the one he releases this year will be as good.

FireFish said:

http://www.entity.be/entity/

Netlabels are the way to go, and entity has some nice releases.

Great label, thanks for sharing it. So far I found a lot of good stuff!

GoatLord said:

I appreciate the suggestions, although I've already checked out that stuff. Maybe I just need to dig deeper into it. I make electronica music as well, I've been established since 2007 and have made about 180 instrumentals.

That's cool. If you want to show them, I will listen.

By the way, maybe your insatisfaction can be used to create new kinds of music. If you don't find anything that satisfies you, why not do it by yourself?