Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Chocolate Doom

fraggle said:

10 years today since the first commit:

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/commit/66a2cc66d7504c9b64e1c461e62ad2a9d964fa95

At the time I started the project I never expected Chocolate Doom to be anything other than a tiny side project to get the linuxdoom source working on modern systems. Since then it's grown into something much larger, spawning numerous spinoff ports and even been the basis of a commercial game release.

I just want to thank everyone who has used Chocolate Doom, all the people who have contributed code, reported bugs and everyone who has posted in this thread which now has over 1,800 comments :) Thank you all for making it what it is.

Congrats fraggle. Your project has benefited everyone, especially other port authors like myself.

Thanks for keeping the party going Fraggle. Chocolate doesn't have the flash that zdoom and other ports might have, but it really is good to see how everything ran without all of the cruft getting in the way.

Thank you Fraggle for offering a port to purists like me who whine about other ports with non-vanilla features. Chocolate-Doom is always the first thing that I install when I'm given a computer.

It's a pretty great Source Port If You wanna play It Old School, but I think a simpler way of playing IWADS or WADs should be added In the engine, and so far with the new version It lags like shit with Me while the old one runs great. Also, He should add support for the Roland SC-25 Soundtrack for Windows Instead of Linux and all that.

Tritnew said:

the new version It lags like shit with Me while the old one runs great.

Have you filed a bug?

And what do you mean by "Me"? You mean Windows Me?

fraggle said:

Have you filed a bug?

And what do you mean by "Me"? You mean Windows Me?

Sorry, that was a Grammar mistake, I meant "It lags for Me", the new version weirdly lags on my computer while the old one works just fine, It's pretty weird If You ask Me. But It's not a Bug, It's just the fact that It weirdly lags with the new version.

Tritnew said:

But It's not a Bug, It's just the fact that It weirdly lags with the new version.

What is your basis for concluding it is not a bug? "Weird lagging" is not a bug?

While I thank you for your report, you need to at least provide me with the information I need to debug it. For example:

What was the version you were using before? ("the old version" could be anything)

What operating system are you using? (Windows? Mac? Linux? What version?)

Have you tried different things to try to improve the lag? Different screen resolutions? Fullscreen vs. Windowed? Does it make any difference?

Is it an issue of frame rate (ie. the game is just running slow)? If so, what result do you get for -timedemo for the two versions? Or is it literally an issue where the controls seem to be lagged? Try to describe what you're actually experiencing, because "lag" can mean any number of things.

I want to make Chocolate Doom better and to fix issues like these for you and everyone else who use it, but it's deeply frustrating for me if I don't get the information I need to try to figure out what the problem is.

fraggle said:

What is your basis for concluding it is not a bug? "Weird lagging" is not a bug?

While I thank you for your report, I have to say that you're being deeply unhelpful and it's quite frustrating. You have provided next to no information:

What was the version you were using before? ("the old version" could be anything)

What operating system are you using? (Windows? Mac? Linux? What version?)

Have you tried different things to try to improve the lag? Different screen resolutions? Fullscreen vs. Windowed? Does it make any difference?

I want to make Chocolate Doom better and to fix issues like these for you and everyone else who use it, but it's deeply frustrating for me if I don't get the information I need to try to figure out what the problem is.

Sorry If I seemed to be trouble, I was sort of out of It that day. Anyway, for some reason It lags, specially since I got the new version. It could be that It's emulating the game correctly, but I don't remember DOOM lagging on Dosbox before. As for the operating system, It's Windows 7 Ultimate Pack. It's just a little laggy then before (The game ran a tad bit smoother on version 2.1.0, It runs on around a full 30 or so for Me). I really can't explain this correctly since I don't see the source of the problem, I suppose It's just on my end. The new version for Me as I see It runs at 20 FPS. Either way, I guess I'll be sticking with Version 2.1.0 for now, and since this Is gonna be a little off-topic, I'd LOVE to see support for Roland SC-55 Soundtracks or Digital Music, but I think that's too much to ask. Anyway, I think You should create a Thread based on People having Issues with Chocolate DOOM unless It exists already. Again, Sorry and I do hope you Improve on Chocolate DOOM!

Sorry if my initial response was harsh (I actually went back and edited it after I posted, because I felt bad). It just really helps to provide as much information when reporting something like this - there's nothing more frustrating for a programmer, to hear that a bug exists but to not be given the information needed to fix it!

A couple of questions:

Is this a framerate issue? ie. does the game just run slower? If so, can you run both 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 with -timedemo demo2 on the command line to compare frame rates? That would help me to understand if there really is a performance problem here.

"Lag" can mean many different things - for example, it could mean a delay between your controls and the input to the game. If it isn't a framerate issue, try to describe precisely what you're experiencing so that I can understand better.

Re: SC-55 soundtracks etc. - Chocolate Doom already supports this on other platforms, but the Windows binaries currently offered for download do not have it compiled in. I don't currently have any machine with Windows installed that I can use to test this feature, and it requires some special libraries to be added for it to work. I'm hoping to get a new computer in the near future, after which I can run Windows in a virtual machine and hopefully bring this feature to Windows users like yourself.

Thanks!

fraggle said:

Sorry if my initial response was harsh (I actually went back and edited it after I posted, because I felt bad). It just really helps to provide as much information when reporting something like this - there's nothing more frustrating for a programmer, to hear that a bug exists but to not be given the information needed to fix it!

A couple of questions:

Is this a framerate issue? ie. does the game just run slower? If so, can you run both 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 with -timedemo demo2 on the command line to compare frame rates? That would help me to understand if there really is a performance problem here.

"Lag" can mean many different things - for example, it could mean a delay between your controls and the input to the game. If it isn't a framerate issue, try to describe precisely what you're experiencing so that I can understand better.

Re: SC-55 soundtracks etc. - Chocolate Doom already supports this on other platforms, but the Windows binaries currently offered for download do not have it compiled in. I don't currently have any machine with Windows installed that I can use to test this feature, and it requires some special libraries to be added for it to work. I'm hoping to get a new computer in the near future, after which I can run Windows in a virtual machine and hopefully bring this feature to Windows users like yourself.

Thanks!

No problem, I can understand these kinda problems can bring stress sometimes. Anyway, I put both versions together In Windowed Mode and both ran very fine, when I opened 2.2.0 on It's own In Fullscreen, It pretty much started to go down In FPS. It seems that the new version runs well In Windowed Mode while It's FPS are a tad bit down In Fullscreen mode, I'm curious If anyone else has this problem. Hope I explained It well this time. As for the soundtrack, I'm rooting for that to happen, as I have full support for Chocolate DOOM (It's the Source Port I use the most sometimes). Anyway, Hope I explained It very well this time. As for the controls, I have no Issues with them at all.

fabian said:

Tritnew, are you "phawq" on Github? I am asking, because I had just about the same bug filed there as well. https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/issues/71

Maybe the "lag" occurs during palette switches (like the red pain flash). That used to cause issues with some video cards/platforms. Just an idea. This issue is difficult for a user to realize.

fabian said:

Tritnew, are you "phawq" on Github?

phawq is actually me.

kb1 said:

Maybe the "lag" occurs during palette switches (like the red pain flash). That used to cause issues with some video cards/platforms. Just an idea. This issue is difficult for a user to realize.

While I initially thought I was having hardware related performance issues, I later found this to not be the case. My computer still ran perfectly fine when alt+tabbed, and in windowed mode. Memory usage appears no different between old and new version, too.

What I experience, is that it appears to me the latest chocolate doom and crispy doom (with capped framerate on) consistently have a "lower framerate" compared to older versions, and vanilla in dosbox. However, crispy displays 35 when I do the "showfps" cheat. So I'm not sure if framerate in itself is the correct issue, and that it might be something else.

I admit I should have brought this to the attention of fraggle.

mason1729 said:

I admit I should have brought this to the attention of fraggle.

Well, I have In this exact thread kinda.

Tritnew said:

Anyway, I put both versions together In Windowed Mode and both ran very fine, when I opened 2.2.0 on It's own In Fullscreen, It pretty much started to go down In FPS. It seems that the new version runs well In Windowed Mode while It's FPS are a tad bit down In Fullscreen mode, I'm curious If anyone else has this problem.

Just did my own testing. Provided the old version is open in windowed mode, It seems the new version will play smoothly in either windowed or fullscreen. Meaning I only suffer the "lower framerate" if I only have the new version open. Now I'm really confused.

mason1729 said:

Just did my own testing. Provided the old version is open in windowed mode, It seems the new version will play smoothly in either windowed or fullscreen. Meaning I only suffer the "lower framerate" if I only have the new version open. Now I'm really confused.

Please try switching the bundled SDL libraries between the old and new version.

fabian said:

Please try switching the bundled SDL libraries between the old and new version.

Tried that. New version still does the "lower framerate" with the older SDL libraries. And the old version still played smoothly with the newer SDL libraries.

What do you mean, lower framerate? Is the fps counter showing 35 frames/sec but it feels laggy/choppy?

You can also use FRAPS as a frame counter to be sure.

Also, have you tried Doom Retro? It is also based on Chocolate Doom and uses the newest SDL versions. It has a vid_capfps variable, it is by default uncapped.

As I was setting up FRAPS, it seems setting video_driver to directx in the chocolate-doom.cfg completely fixed the problem for me. Same goes for crispy doom. Interestingly, I didn't even have this setting in the older versions that worked fine. But eh, Now I feel like an idiot for not even trying this sooner, heh.

mason1729 said:

As I was setting up FRAPS, it seems setting video_driver to directx in the chocolate-doom.cfg completely fixed the problem for me. Same goes for crispy doom. Interestingly, I didn't even have this setting in the older versions that worked fine. But eh, Now I feel like an idiot for not even trying this sooner, heh.

Hm, I suppose I should try It out, Thanks I suppose!

Yup, older choco versions defaulted to directx on windows when video_driver is set to "", but for some people (who are they??? :) it didn't work so default is windib if it's blank, and that does not work on some other systems (on mine and on sedlo's pc for instance) or with fraps. That's why I added back directx option to advanced setup in competition doom.

From googling around it seems that the windib is the recommended/modern setting and directx is some DirectX 5 legacy thing.

Are you using outdated hardware or OS? The FRAPS counter works fine for me in Doom Retro, which uses windib as the default.

VGA said:

Are you using outdated hardware or OS? The FRAPS counter works fine for me in Doom Retro, which uses windib as the default.

My computer was built only a year and a half ago.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

Also, upon further testing, even when I specifically set the older versions to windib, they work fine.

Maybe this question has already been asked, but I will ask it anyway at the risk of being boresome :)
Chocolate Doom renders the game at 320x200 and then scales the resolution up to fit into a fixed size window. For instance, on my 1920x1080 monitor, the game runs @ 1280x960, leaving black bars not only on the left and right of the screen, but also at the top and bottom. Now, 1280x960 is a 4:3 resolution, but my screen is capable of handling a higher 4:3 resolution, 1440x1080, that Chocolate Doom doesn't support. The question is, would it be possible to make the scaling algorithm more flexible to support those other formats? As far as I know this is what the Doom Retro port (a fork of Chocolate 1.7) does. Note that I'm not asking to increase the res at which Chocolate renders the game internally (320x200 is fine), but only to modify the screen scaling code.

Thanks

Yes, this is an often-requested feature. The scaling code only scales to certain fixed screen sizes (there are hand-written bits of code for each screen size). This is why you can only use certain window sizes, and you get black borders (it found the closest fit for your screen size).

I (and some of Chocolate Doom's users!) am very particular about the way the screen scaling works - the behavior is quite carefully considered. It would have been trivial to do a nearest or linear scale-up of the screen but the resulting quality would be poor.

But you'll be pleased to hear that a more general solution is in development - originally as gl-branch, but it appears that the SDL2 port might bring the same functionality.

What happens if you manually put your resolution width/height in the cfg file?

Mine is supported so i can't test.

If you're running windowed, it will auto-adjust to the nearest supported size.

If you're running fullscreen, it will run with black borders, as already mentioned. But the setup tool already shows all available screen modes anyway, so editing the cfg file by hand will not give you any special extra powers.