Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Items in speed running. [UV Collector].

I was flicking through youtube and I came across this and decided to give it a watch, I've past it a few times as I had never heard of the category before but I became quite curious on what this category would entail:

Yep, my curiosity was correct, a category which relies on the items tally.
UV Collector: "Player must collect all the weapons in a level and exit as quick as possible". Not a 100% accurate quote, but that's the gist from this category. The Czech community came up with this category and it, to me, seems like quite a good category. Only problem with this is that it doesn't rely on the item tally being 100% so in order to have it marked as a legitimate run I can see that a lot of people would need to know the weapon count on the map in order to class it as a successful run, and I can see a lot of maps getting optimal times fast if it relies solely on the collection of weapons. but I just want to see some view points on this.

Why do you think that the item tally is often neglected in speed running?

Do you think it would be interesting to have a new category that relies on getting 100% items? Sort of like a NM100I? (well, just a name suggestion but I think you get what I mean).

It would be interesting to read some thoughts on this but I personally think that a category that involves the item tally would make for some quite interesting speed runs. What's your personal opinion on this?

Springy said:

Why do you think that the item tally is often neglected in speed running?

Do you think it would be interesting to have a new category that relies on getting 100% items? Sort of like a NM100I? (well, just a name suggestion but I think you get what I mean).

I think collecting those +1 armor/health would be just an annoyance. "Oh shit, I forgot to pick one +1 armor :/ guess my uv-max is ruined now".

I guess it would work on nomonsters just fine :-D

Only a couple of days ago I attempted a search of the forums to find out why such a category doesn't exist. After asking the question on IRC, however, the answer came swift and utterly decided: collecting items in a speedrun is boring to watch. People like Romero have a tendency to stuff them in the very corners of rooms, one at a time, such that in the end the demo becomes a very elaborate game of connect the dots.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of collector demos to (dis)prove the theory, if only because it might encourage another surge of demos for previously covered mapsets.

Part of my reasoning for why I think 100% items is neglected is that, in many ways, it would make a max of a level easier (since the player gets more powerups/health/armor) without making it more interesting. To me, it's more interesting if the player gets to choose whether he takes powerups or health, since that allows for greater route variety.

It's the same thing with secrets; a player could choose to explore the entire secret or just walk in and walk out without taking anything inside. So, in both scenarios, the player has to choose between wasting time to grab powerups/health/ammo or losing a health/armor/ammo advantage.

As a speed category, I suppose it could work (i.e. in -nomonsters or without a 100% kills or secrets requirement). Not sure if I agree with the 100% weapons requirement, though, since it's harder to track and would make for very irritating speedruns on levels oversaturated with ammo/weapons. If people start making more UV Collector demos, I'll happily watch them.

I just imagined a demo where the player perfroms a rocketjump and loses >100 health to reach that one health bonus faster.

Alfonzo said:

After asking the question on IRC, however, the answer came swift and utterly decided: collecting items in a speedrun is boring to watch.

Doesn't sound like a convincing answer to me. Speedrunners don't necessarily care about entertaining the public. You could say the same about tyson demos over 30 minutes with dancing in front of some monster for 5 minutes just to finally make him infight with that faraway baron that you don't have enough bullets for. But there are quite a few of these.

Yeah, I was thinking of it as a speed category, fuck getting items in max as if some maps aren't enough with the secrets. Some good points on the health potions though, those never really occurred to me for some odd reason. I may in the near future get some UV Collector demos done as I think it could be quite interesting to see some more. Some good points have been addressed here.

Sorry for the double post and bump but I stumbled across the UV Collector again and decided to make a demonstration demo as to what one is, demo plays under map 01 of TNT -complevel 4. I actually took the time to read the video description and it says that it was strictly a -nomonsters category demo. While I am here, I also found a bunch of old Czech-N UV Collector demos. Along with some speedster(?) demos, I am assuming that the latter is the speed fighter category? For those who don't know speed fighter is where you get as many kills as possible with an exit under par time.

ec01-034.zip

MD922 said:

A fun variation to an average nomonsters demo :)
TNT Map 01 in 28

Nice! I'll have to check this later the text file includes some background, too so I hope that gave some insight. Also, mine's not to be uploaded to DSDA I forgot to mention in the text. I may make this an official "post your collector demos thread".