Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

scifista42 said:

I've probably picked up the Berserk without going through the window and triggering the trap, then forgot that it existed. You could place the trap-triggering linedef a little earlier anyway, so that this wouldn't happen to anybody.

I made some of the aforementioned changes, and added a few new things. If you'd playtest for me again, I'd appreciate it.

I playtested Map04. Much better. However, I would love to see it beefed up a bit. I found it to be a bit too easy. The layout and monster placement was brilliant, however.

Maybe add some more hallways and rooms just to make it larger? Think about the original Map04. That was a pretty big map compared to your version. You're on the right track though, as I love what you've done so far.

I might make it a little bigger but I'm pretty proud of what I have now, considering I built it in like 2 hours while I was watching the end of the Steelers, Packers preseason game. I was surprised at how well I did, but I might add another room before the exit or something, and maybe make some stairs for the exit that gives it that illusion of descending down into the waste tunnels, or something.

Tactical Stiffy said:

I might make it a little bigger but I'm pretty proud of what I have now, considering I built it in like 2 hours while I was watching the end of the Steelers, Packers preseason game. I was surprised at how well I did, but I might add another room before the exit or something, and maybe make some stairs for the exit that gives it that illusion of descending down into the waste tunnels, or something.

Brilliant idea with the stairs! But yes, definitely more rooms.

A small outdoor area would be good too. Perhaps a revenant or two, and hell knights. Remember, the goal is to stick to the general idea of the original maps, but giving it our own twist.

Can I join in? I'm semi-experienced with Doom mapping, but have never exposed my maps to anyone but family and friends.
I'd like to do map06, The Crusher. I've got a few ideas on my mind already.

(also, first post on the Doomworld forums, so yay...)

ArchvileHunter said:

Can I join in? I'm semi-experienced with Doom mapping, but have never exposed my maps to anyone but family and friends.

That would be cool so when your done with 06 and I'm done with 05 and Gangrel is done with 3 that would be it for the first episode.

ArchvileHunter said:

Welcome aboard the D2R Team! I look forward to seeing your version of The Crusher!

SuperCupcakeTactics and I are now partners, he will be more busy than I am, so i may be doing a majority of the mapping, but we both have each-others skype, thanks!

vizyeay said:

SuperCupcakeTactics and I are now partners, he will be more busy than I am, so i may be doing a majority of the mapping, but we both have each-others skype, thanks!

That's great. I've collaborated with him before, and loved the finished product. That guy knows his shit, so I'm confident you guys will end up with a great prodluct. I look forward to trying it out.

Welcome aboard the D2R Team! I look forward to seeing your version of The Crusher!

Thanks, I'll try my best!
It'll probably be a while before I'm done, because I have a lot to attend to in the following weeks. I may start building the map either today or tommorow.

Also, how much Boom-trickery are we allowed to do?
I know you wanted it vanilla in the beginning, but you can do a lot of cool stuff in Boom.

ArchvileHunter said:

Thanks, I'll try my best!
It'll probably be a while before I'm done, because I have a lot to attend to in the following weeks. I may start building the map either today or tommorow.

Also, how much Boom-trickery are we allowed to do?
I know you wanted it vanilla in the beginning, but you can do a lot of cool stuff in Boom.

I have no idea what boom trickery even is. So I'll just say this. If it requires jumping or crouching, don't do it. Other than that, I'm trying to give the mappers as much creative control as possible.

JudgeDeadd said:

I can't be the only one who keeps misreading this as "With Phobos and Deimos".

You're not the only one.

Allright, I started working on The Crusher today. I'm mostly done with the crusher room itself, I only need some more details and monster placement/item balancing.
Here's how it looks so far:

It does look very similar to the original, but I want the map to focus around this room in my version.
I will stray more from the original on the rest of the map, but I really want this area to be recognizable. It is the map's namesake after all!

ArchvileHunter said:

Allright, I started working on The Crusher today. I'm mostly done with the crusher room itself, I only need some more details and monster placement/item balancing.
Here's how it looks so far:

http://i.imgur.com/88O2hTp.png
It does look very similar to the original, but I want the map to focus around this room in my version.
I will stray more from the original on the rest of the map, but I really want this area to be recognizable. It is the map's namesake after all!

Oh wow, you're adhering to the rules spectacularly. Keep the core concept the same, but make it your own! That's why this project will prove to he a new kind of challenge. You need to recreate it without copying it. You're doing great so far and I eagerly anticipate a playable version.

Heh heh...Phobos and Deimos. I didn't even think about that.

Tactical Stiffy said:

Mind if I ask why you don't want music changes?

For whatever reason, I have always made a connection between levels and their music. I refuse to believe I am the only one that does. I want to keep that connection intact so that when people play this WAD, it will remind them of the first time they ever played Doom II. I predict this will improve the reception of the project on a somewhat subliminal level. I want to tickle peoples' nostalgia just right. Haha

But here's an idea. Whoever wants to make new tracks for the two secret levels, do it. I'd like to see a MIDI version of Worship and Satan, both songs by the band Bongripper.

nxGangrel said:

Since I'm a bit tied up right now I'm going to have to give map 03 to someone else to work on. I've made the main layout with working switches, doors, etc and made it heavily reminiscent of the original.

Here's the level if any one is interested:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cflh0foocrc5cc5/nxg_gant.wad

(I'm still gonna work on maps 14 and 22 though.)

Dig it. I'll take over The Gantlet, and will still give you credit whenever the whole wad is finished.

EDIT: Gangrel I love what you've done with Gantlet. I will have a lot of fun adding to it. Great job, as always.

TraceOfSpades said:

Dig it. I'll take over The Gantlet, and will still give you credit whenever the whole wad is finished.

EDIT: Gangrel I love what you've done with Gantlet. I will have a lot of fun adding to it. Great job, as always.

Thanks! glad it'll still be in the project.

Hell yeah, dude! It'd be a shame to see such quality go to waste. Plus, it saved me a lot of work. Haha

Currently working on the Inmost Dens. Hopefully I'll be done within the week. Also, taking into account the "replacement" I'd like to take map 24: The Chasm. I fraggin' despise that map, so I'd like to "replace" it.

nxGangrel said:

Currently working on the Inmost Dens. Hopefully I'll be done within the week. Also, taking into account the "replacement" I'd like to take map 24: The Chasm. I fraggin' despise that map, so I'd like to "replace" it.

I'll throw your name on Chasm. Hell, I'd better do some more maps otherwise this will stop being my project and become yours. haha

I have completed Map03 The Gantlet. I need somebody to playtest it please. This version of The Gantlet is a collaborative effort between nxGangrel and myself.

Map01 and Map02 are also still waiting to be playtested.

Updated download links are in the original post.

TraceOfSpades said:

I'll throw your name on Chasm. Hell, I'd better do some more maps otherwise this will stop being my project and become yours. haha

nah. I guess that would just make me the main designer. lol

Status report from all people involved, please.

I'd like to know:

-Which map or maps you've started
-Which map or maps you are currently working on
-Expected dates of completion for said map or maps

My status: I have completed Entryway and Underhalls by myself. I have also finished what nxGangrel started for The Gantlet. I am currently working on Icon Of Sin, and expect to have that done before the week is out.