Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kim Kitten

WAD's and help!?

Ok, a two part question:-

Does anyone else have trouble with WAD level files? When I use use them it screws up the quality of the graphics and my save games.

Can anyone help? I'm a little stuck on level 30 of Doom 2 - Brief description of the level - A large room with platforms that go to the top of the room where you push a switch to activate a platform in the middle of the room. On the far side there's a huge skull type thing on the wall shooting out cubes with pics of skulls on them, which transform into beasties, under that is a door (presumably the exit). What exactly am I supposed to do here? I can't open the door, and no sooner do I kill things than the cubes make more beasts and I run out of ammo.

It's interesting because I don't ever remember NOT knowing how to beat Map30... I think I had read the secret in some strategy guide even before I played the game. Kind of takes the fun out of discovering it for yourself.

How can I give a hint without ruining it... OK, that big skull thing on the wall? It seems pretty obvious that this is the focus of the level. You probably have to kill it to beat the game. Do you see any way of hurting it? And if so, try to hurt it with all of your powerful weapons and see what happens.

Kim Kitten said:

Does anyone else have trouble with WAD level files? When I use use them it screws up the quality of the graphics and my save games.

Hmm... odd problem. Could be that you have an old version of Doom 2, or that you're trying to play a WAD for a different game (Doom 1, Heretic) in Doom 2...

It may help us solve your problem if you tell us your Doom 2 version, what sourceport you're using if any, and possibly what wad you're trying to play and how you're loading it.

Can anyone help? I'm a little stuck on level 30 of Doom 2 - Brief description of the level - A large room with platforms that go to the top of the room where you push a switch to activate a platform in the middle of the room. On the far side there's a huge skull type thing on the wall shooting out cubes with pics of skulls on them, which transform into beasties, under that is a door (presumably the exit). What exactly am I supposed to do here? I can't open the door, and no sooner do I kill things than the cubes make more beasts and I run out of ammo.

The below paragraph is a spoiler, don't read it if you want to find out how to beat Goathead on your own:

You see the GoatHead's exposed brain? Once you activate the elevator and it makes it all the way up, press it to bring it back down. Get on it, and ride it up. When you've almost reached the top, fire a rocket off. If you timed it correctly, your rocket will enter his brain and cause damage. Do this three times and the GoatHead will explode and you'll have won the game!

Oh and welcome to DW. I'm Liam, I mod polls and review new Doom wads each week. EMail at liam@inbox.net, AIM at Mar1lynMason, on IRC at irc.openprojects.net #zdoom.

Note that Liam, ever on the lookout for nice young girls, leaves not one but several possible contacts in the unlikely event of one failing :P

Anyway, it's nice to see an English girl still plays Doom (by her own choice)

The version of Doom I have is called 'Doom 95', it has Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT rolled into one .exe.

What I meant by screwing the graphics up, is when I used the WAD file, the graphics went from good PC standard to what you see on the PlayStation version of Doom, the quality goes down. With the save games it brings up an error message - which I can't remember since I reinstalled the game to correct it.

The WAD was definitely for Doom 2 though. A direct link to the download is ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/ or go to http://www.doomworld.com and look for the 'levels' link and carry on through - 'levels', 'Doom 2' - 'megawads'.

Thanks for the info on level 30, I figured it was something to do with that huge skull, I just didn't know what.

Pritch: I've liked the Doom games for a long time, I had them originally on the PlayStation but just recently got them for the PC. They're the classic first-person 3D shooter, everyone should see where that stuff started if you ask me ;)

PS: The WAD, if you go looking, is 1killtng.zip (.wad when it's opened).

Note that Liam, ever on the lookout for nice young girls, leaves not one but several possible contacts in the unlikely event of one failing :P

Anyway, it's nice to see an English girl still plays Doom (by her own choice)

Meh. At least im not the only one in search for a girl.

Kim Kitten said:

The version of Doom I have is called 'Doom 95', it has Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT rolled into one .exe.

Ah, I guess you bought Doom Collector's edition then? Yeah, you should be fine on the versions.

What I meant by screwing the graphics up, is when I used the WAD file, the graphics went from good PC standard to what you see on the PlayStation version of Doom, the quality goes down. With the save games it brings up an error message - which I can't remember since I reinstalled the game to correct it.

Er, hmm, still not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean that there's a decrease in resolution...?

Anyway I don't use Doom 95 but I can install it from my Ultimate Doom CD... I think I'll do that and look into it. You may be interested in downloading a Source Port, such as ZDoom or Doom Legacy. Just read the documentation that comes with them for installation/usage instructions.

Pritch: I've liked the Doom games for a long time, I had them originally on the PlayStation but just recently got them for the PC. They're the classic first-person 3D shooter, everyone should see where that stuff started if you ask me ;)

You may want to take a look at Heretic and Hexen too. They were worthy Doom engine liscensees that took place in a medieval setting... although finding them in stores'll be a pain. The Heretic shareware can be found here and the Hexen demo here.

You'll be pleased to see there's still an active community centered around classic doom, and even with a third doom on the way it looks like that isn't going to change. Enjoy yourself =)

Also, Railgunner, you owe me Hentai. Get googlin'.

No, I experimented a little with Doom 95 and 1killtng didn't give me problems with graphics or savegames. Maybe if you could take some screenshots illustrating exactly what your problem is...?

Ah, I guess you bought Doom Collector's edition then? Yeah, you should be fine on the versions.

Well, I didn't actually 'buy' it, I just got my PC and a friend gave me a CD with a bunch of games on it, Doom 95 was one of them.

Er, hmm, still not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean that there's a decrease in resolution...?

I'm new to computers in the PC sense, so I have no idea what you mean by 'resolution', the only way I know how to describe it is that the quality decreases - goes from 'smooth' to kind of, well, 'not smooth', lol.

You may be interested in downloading a Source Port, such as ZDoom or Doom Legacy... You may want to take a look at Heretic and Hexen too.

I have no idea what a 'Source Port' is, but I'll check all this stuff out, thanks. :)

No, I experimented a little with Doom 95 and 1killtng didn't give me problems with graphics or savegames. Maybe if you could take some screenshots illustrating exactly what your problem is...?

If I followed the instructions properly, you uzip the file, then put it into the folder where the Doom.exe and other WAD files are, right? Anyway, I'll try and see if it works again later and figure out how to take some screenshots if I get the same problem.

Ack! Doom95 is so buggy on newer systems.

I would warmly recommend you to get a source port. Go to the source ports section of this site and peruse your choices.

If you have the old Doom/Doom2.exe it should work fine enough too.

Why hello Kim, I'm Andy. Let's see...ok, you're having trouble running wads? Well, like these guys said, use a source port. Then you need to do some command lines. Say you're going to open a WAD with EDGE. Go to start > run then find EDGE32.exe then type -file *wadnamehere*.wad. BTW, I'm around your age. I'll be sure to *ahem* e-mail you. Do you have AIM? IM me sometime we can...talk...yes..."talk"...

A note to any newbie who may read this thread: now you know that to get an answer you must be a girl.

Anyway, the jackals have been unleashed.

Hi Kim, nice to see a new female human around here.

Hi guys :) Yep, I do tend to find being a girl seems to hold currency when it comes to asking for game help... I think the guys just like to show their brains off, lol :)

Anyway, talk about weird, I just tried to use the WAD again, and it's worked perfectly this time, so maybe I just did something wrong the first time around.

Julian said:

Hi Kim, nice to see a new female human around here.

Stay away she is mine (just kidding)

DOOM95... as in Windows95... as in unreliable... as in "don`t try to understand, just be happy it works sometimes". (not a big Windows fan)

The girl:
Well, I didn't actually 'buy' it, I just got my PC and a friend gave me a CD with a bunch of games on it, Doom 95 was one of them.

BBG:
Stay away she is mine (just kidding)

Sounds like she`s already taken :-(

Kim Kitten: I would use the old DOS version of Doom/Doom2/Final Doom, as it's much better (I think) at running custom-made wads. Also, doom95 only lets you run one wad at a time, whereas the dos version doesn't.
The dos version can be found in a sub-folder on your cd (called doom, doom2, plutonia or tnt depending on the game)

Command line for running wads is: doom2 -file (name).wad

(just add as many wad filenames as you want)

A source port (an improved version of the original game) is the best thing to do, I recommend Zdoom. (command line is the same as above, just replace 'doom2' with 'zdoom')

(find Zdoom at: ftp://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/123beta33.zip)

If you have a lower-grade PC (P200 or less), then Boom v2.02 is the best. (found in the dos source ports section of this site)
Command line is the same, but with 'boom' instead of 'doom2'.

(I'm not trying to show off, just trying to help)

m0l0t0v:- Sounds like she`s already taken :-(

Actually, she's not. The friend is exactly that, a friend.

Ultimate DooMer:- I would use the old DOS version of Doom/Doom2/Final Doom, as it's much better (I think) at running custom-made wads. Also, doom95 only lets you run one wad at a time, whereas the dos version doesn't. The dos version can be found in a sub-folder on your cd (called doom, doom2, plutonia or tnt depending on the game)

Like I said, I was given the game, so I don't have the original CD, and there's no seperate folder which could hold the DOS versions. Besides, you could explain for weeks how to get the DOS games to run and I still wouldn't get it, I've been doing IT for a whole term and still don't get DOS, so I'm better off seeing what I can get to work in the Windows one.

Besides, that link won't work for me, and every time I try to get into the Source thingy page I get an error message... I hate computers, lol :)

leave the girl alone for crying out load!!!
she only has a few posts and everybody's hitten on her or something. whatever. i wonder what she actually looks like. meh. sorry i said that.

Haha, thanks RailGunner, but I'm kind of used to it, it tends to happen in every forum I go to, I half expect it these days. ;)

There's a picture on the website I'm attempting to make though, it's kind of blended into the main page intro, but it gives you an idea what I look like.

Kim Kitten said:

There's a picture on the website I'm attempting to make though, it's kind of blended into the main page intro, but it gives you an idea what I look like.

Not too shabby.

(Just kidding. Ignore me and go back to your DooMing.)

Railgunner:
leave the girl alone for crying out load!!! she only has a few posts and everybody's hitten on her or something.

i uploadedthis source port just for you. just use the exe file instead of the doom one

HYPOCRITE!!!
:-Þ

available:
Actually, she's not. The friend is exactly that, a friend.

:-)

14yo... hmmm... maybe in 7 years...

Railgunner said:

leave the girl alone for crying out load!!!
she only has a few posts and everybody's hitten on her or something. whatever. i wonder what she actually looks like. meh. sorry i said that.

Smooth Railgunner. Real smooth.

It's hard not to hit on a girl with a name like "Kim Kitten" RRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr.

Hellbent slobbers

Fraggle
There is no apostrophe in WADs.

I bet you say that to all the girls...

Mind if I use that line next time I`m in a bar?
:-P

I know what I did wrong, it should be:

http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/123beta33.zip

You don't need to be in dos to use the dos version, you can use the windows file manager to run them. (either click on the doom2.exe to play without extra wads, or select Run from the File menu and type in the appropriate command line)

I echo what Liam said about Heretic and Hexen, they really are worth playing. (a fantasy setting and lots of features not seen in doom)
The trouble is, I've not seen them in any shops for ages (that's a fair few towns/cities, including yours)

Ultimate DooMer said:

I know what I did wrong, it should be: http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/123beta33.zip

Yep, I was able to download it this time, thanks. :) Um, what does this program do again though? Is the the source code thing? And does that mean I can/could make my own levels and stuff?

You don't need to be in dos to use the dos version, you can use the windows file manager to run them. (either click on the doom2.exe to play without extra wads, or select Run from the File menu and type in the appropriate command line)

Ok, cool, I'll give that a whirl tomorrow. I've got the WADs to work though now, there looks like some cool stuff. If I get stuck with the DOS or Windows file manager I can always ask. :)

I echo what Liam said about Heretic and Hexen, they really are worth playing. (a fantasy setting and lots of features not seen in doom) The trouble is, I've not seen them in any shops for ages (that's a fair few towns/cities, including yours)

Well, if I can't find those in a shop, I can always see if there's a download at Kazaa, my friend downloads all kinds of stuff from there. :)