Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Sodaholic said:

Is this good? Bad? Anything I should change about it?

You should have like minimum 2 times more grey shades than most of the color shades. Also probably better to just have a chosen few colors with more shades than trying to squeeze every hue into it. You can give the impression of more hues with combining the colors with each other or grey. The contrasts between the colors make you believe it's a different hue.

Made this a while ago. I don't remember if I shared it or not. But I just came across it on my computer and remembered how pleased I was. I imagine doomguy finding an invulnerability sphere in the midst of being slaughtered, and his bloody face smiling devilishly as his eyes begin to glow due to the incoming brutality that he is about to unleash.

Urthar said:

It's a one pixel deep alcove with sloped walls. It's set really dark, so even with the dynamic light hitting it, it still appears to be a shadow.

That's really clever. I've always thought slopes really had no place in doom but now I see how it can be extremely advantageous for lighting.

Agree with 40oz on this one. Finally I have learned a subtle use of slopes that could make a LOT of maps look better than they already do.

IMX said:

I figured I should post it here instead of making a thread about it.

Is there anyone who happens to have a bigger, more high-res version of this picture? It's the Doom cover artwork without the logo.

http://i.imgur.com/PcyjbAm.jpg

Apparently there was a link to Flickr but that link seems to be dead. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

New lock screen.

Angry Saint said:

http://imgur.com/8HCAwpc

A work in progress: a level set in a hospital.

Wanna see it after improving light levels. Looks promising already; there are a bunch of creepy game scenes in hospitals or similar areas (e.g. Postal² zombie mod: Eternal Damnation) I already enjoyed, hope to enjoy yours too.

More lighting... Maybe, though I'm on the verge of VPO-ing in a couple spots. I'll see what I can do.

As for the sky, I don't know about a darker sky but I feel like I could use a different sky for this episode. The current one just feels... I dunno, a little bland.

Are those the lost (unused) doom 2 ice textures?

I killed 50,000+ monsters!

About a year ago I made myself a frontend using batch scripts that quickly generate the command line arguments to record and playback demos. Using prboom's levelstat.txt output, I also gave it the ability to fetch the number of monsters killed on a map and total it into a "body count," so after about a year of using it I've finally reached 50,000 monsters. The catch is that it only counts toward your body count total if you complete the level from pistol start. So just rushing into a generic imp spam wad and BFGing through everything then getting blown up by an archvile in the exit room won't count. I guess the reason it took me so long is I have a habit of obsessively playing the same levels for hours until I can beat them. As it turns out, the hardest levels tend to have fewer monsters than easier ones. In theory I could run through Knee Deep in The Dead a couple hundred times and hit 1,000,000 in no time :P

AD_79 said:

This needs some editing, I think. Suggestions?

I think that the black rock where there are the armor bonuses blends too much with the black marble, maybe use the ice or something gray/light gray.

40oz said:

Are those the lost (unused) doom 2 ice textures?

Don't think so, I borrowed them from 32in24-14 (I had to resize the snow wall texture seen there because the original was 256x256).

@ AD, ah you made your wad in vanilla format? It was the reason whom I didn't any more continue to make curvilinear maps. I met too many problems, because the high numbers of linedefs, to make curves, created HOMs. Also because players hate "insta-death" for the hole.

franckFRAG said:

@ AD, ah you made your wad in vanilla format? It was the reason whom I didn't any more continue to make curvilinear maps. I met too many problems, because the high numbers of linedefs, to make curves, created HOMs. Also because players hate "insta-death" for the hole.

Yeah, I'm having a couple issues with the segs (only when you fall down into death), and I actually can't fix them. Oh well :P

Started remaking the Icon of Sin for my Doom2 Redux project (if you want more information on that project and might be interested in mapping or playtesting, message me).

But I really like how this is coming out. Very unsettling. Here are some screens.