Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Cacowards 2015 Nomination Thread

An unwritten rule (=explicitly written in previous years' Cacoward nomination threads) says that discussion in this thread should be kept to minimum, to not stray away from its main purpose, nominating good wads.

I'll answer you anyway. I thought the pacing was excellent, and I was glad for the (relative) lack of boring action-less moments. Valiant is a fun & challenge oriented wad, I'm playing it because I want action, and when I stop wanting action, I can take a break from playing myself. I also don't think the action was truly "constant". It was broken by action-less moments - just enough.

Valiant benefited a lot from being split into episodes (in ZDoom/Eternity), because each episode was relatively short and gave you a good place to make a break.

Ok, so I know I might get some flak because of Brutal doom hate, especially here, but PROJECT BRUTALITY. It goes far, far, FAR beyond just a submod, so I would hope it would be exempt from the "can't AWARD the same mod twice" rule. Its based off it sure, but oh so, so much more...try it if you don't believe me.

Also, while there may be a few issues, it is getting updates biweekly as i write this, so keep it in mind.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/project-brutality

Term's been a bit sneaky about it lately (prolly because it development was a marathon and he just finished yesterday morning), but since it's officially released in contest-land, I'm giving Nocturne in Yellow a 'Ward nomination. It's some seriously-impressive arty-awesome -- check it out.

[Tip for anyone who gets stuck like I did once: you can jump higher when sprinting.]

Well since Nocturne in Yellow is nominated, does that mean that future GLOOME engine games are also likely to be nominated? :P

Curious because they're not exactly Doom since it's supposed to be its own game and not a wad to be played using Doom, but also pretty much a total conversion.

EDIT: Well Action Doom 2 didn't need Doom, and Foreverhood was a total conversion. I guess I just mean that it's running on a heavily modified Doom engine that can be used to make games that can also be sold in public with no issues. Maybe it was a silly question, sorry >.<

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Well since Nocturne in Yellow is nominated, does that mean that future GLOOME engine games are also likely to be nominated? :P

Curious because they're not exactly Doom since it's supposed to be its own game and not a wad to be played using Doom, but also pretty much a total conversion.

Ideally you nominate anything you think is cool that's related to the doom engine

Xaser said:

Nocturne in Yellow

What really drags this project down is subpar level design, looks bland and crude for something of this caliber, especially the exterior. And overall this felt quite undercooked, the whole thing runs out of steam without even properly getting started, so to say, as it's a series of short and very simple levels that can all be beaten in one sitting. That's a shame, could've been very good, all things considered.

Thanks for pointing towards it, anyway. At least now I've also seen a Doom-related project with Russian folklore taking a significant role and protagonist's name that's not ridiculously distorted, heh. In this regard it's certainly something unique.

Dunno how eligible it is, considering it's mostly updates of previously-released maps (including at least one previous winner) compiled into a single episode with new music/palette/etc., but Chris Hansen's Monument gets my vote. It's amazing on every level; easily my favorite WAD I've played this year.

Damn, only now I actually bothered to read the plot behind NiY's development, it's done in a fucking month. I take my words back, for one month it's, like, REALLY impressive. Apologies.

dew said:

The Golden Souls didn't slip under the radar. Despite its considerable scope and impressive effort it was simply too raw and unbalanced in its core mechanics to grab an award. An interesting but flawed product.

This is how I felt about the project as well during my streams. I was surprised too that Golden Souls didn't make the Cacowards, but this is a good reason. Batandy seemed to be very happy regarding the feedback I gave him during my playthrough, so I hope Golden Souls 2 will be cacoworthy.

I'll nominate Sunlust here in the meantime. I'll try GS2 upon release and see if I'll want to nominate it.

I just wish HPACK Would be finished after 6 years, not even an episode 1 demo. If it does get finished though it would deserve a Mordeth cacoward

EDIT. 10 YEARS!!

Ashstrodamus said:

Monument by Chris Hansen. We very rarely get an original Doom wad anymore.

You nominated that one already.

scifista42 said:

Rdwpa for most promising newcomer.

I think that Breezeep, AD_79, or Tourniquet are the best newcomers, but I don't guess who of them is the best newcomer :P