Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Snap(map)chat

id.dav said:

So much lie! Duffy says about huge modding community yet he ignores the fact that this community is PC only and uses proper tools wich do not restrict your creativity.

id.dav said:

Yet easy to use should not mean you have to be limited! It doesn't reqiure a tech geek to build a map....you just need imagination and creative thinking.

"Fuck you; Only the glorious PC master race should ever be allowed to make maps! What? No, of course Joe Average shouldn't be allowed to make a map either, he hasn't gone through the necessary 3 week correspondence course. No this isn't a problem to me, I already got mine!"

Also, you seem to have a horribly fucked up concept on just how complicated modern map creation/design actually is. It is in fact something a person needs industry training to actually do. Or do you really think it's just as simple as what Doom Builder 2 presents for a 1993 game?

andrewj said:

Q/ Can rooms have monster closets?
A/ No, the monster closets will be part of certain room tiles, so you have to use those room tiles to get a monster closet. What you almost certainly can do is have monsters teleport in when you grab an item (etc).

Q/ Can u add a monster closet to say a corridor?
A/ No, but there will be corridor tiles which have monster closets as a part of them.

I think you could just give a portal a door, put monsters behind the door, and have it remotely triggered. That seems like a fairly intuitive way to do them

Arctangent said:

I think you could just give a portal a door, put monsters behind the door, and have it remotely triggered. That seems like a fairly intuitive way to do them

Yes that may well be possible, but I think it would still look like a door, whereas I think of monster closets as looking like normal walls (for the surprise factor) and that's the part I don't think will be possible with SnapMap.

It depends on how much control the user will have on what separates two joined tiles, I suspect there will be at least "open doorway", "normal door" and "locked door" -- perhaps even "secret door" and that could work for a monster closet.

I think SnapMap is wonderful idea, but maybe a bit misguided. I don't like the fact that when you see the top-down view of a map, it looks significantly less detailed than a IWAD. Yes, it would be overwhelming for novice players to have a more complex suite of tools, but I think they should have taken the Mario Maker approach. In case you were unaware, Mario Maker forces you to use a small selection of tools and items, then slowly unlocks more as you experiment with them. Something like this for SnapMap could allow someone to eventually graduate to tools that would let them create something more substantial than what we're seeing. So far, it looks like everything is going to be a Q3A techbase.

Edward850 said:

"Fuck you; Only the glorious PC master race should ever be allowed to make maps! What? No, of course Joe Average shouldn't be allowed to make a map either, he hasn't gone through the necessary 3 week correspondence course. No this isn't a problem to me, I already got mine!"

Also, you seem to have a horribly fucked up concept on just how complicated modern map creation/design actually is. It is in fact something a person needs industry training to actually do. Or do you really think it's just as simple as what Doom Builder 2 presents for a 1993 game?

Yes of course! After 3 years of Rage tool kit hell I defenately have a fucked up concept on how complicated modern map creation/design is. And it may come as a surprise but I didn't have industry training when I jumped into Rage tool kit and yet I never felt restricted....I just lacked knowledge...and I still do, but I always felt that I was doing something unique and personal.

GoatLord said:

quoted post

Maybe even take the LittleBigPlanet approach where there are brief video tutorials that explain how each tool works as you unlock them.

So a new Video regarding Snap Map was released. It was one with a brief discussion from some of the developers explaining it a little bit. Unfortunately I don't believe they have provided any new information.

However based on the Snap Map videos I noticed there are 3 bars on the top right corner of the screen. They are "Network, Graphics and Objects", now are they just a wanky measurement of how detailed your map is or will this be a limitation to the content we add in our snapped maps?

Chezza said:

So a new Video regarding Snap Map was released. It was one with a brief discussion from some of the developers explaining it a little bit. Unfortunately I don't believe they have provided any new information.

However based on the Snap Map videos I noticed there are 3 bars on the top right corner of the screen. They are "Network, Graphics and Objects", now are they just a wanky measurement of how detailed your map is or will this be a limitation to the content we add in our snapped maps?

It's definitely a limitation, but it's yet to be seen if it's actually going to cause problems or it's it basically just there to prevent people from making two hour long maps or Nuts D4 edition. Either way, it makes sense as they're providing their own hub for the maps that every player has access to - they're unlikely to be able to handle limits that are strictly defined by when the engine just breaks.

I'd imagine it would be a bit inhibiting for people who like to go crazy, but for normal use you might not even get near the limits. Might not even get halfway. That's just optimism, though.

Joe667 said:

I'm not trolling, just asking... are you perhaps pissed off that Doom IV uses Fatalities Finishers?

DAMMIT JOE!!!

Arctangent said:

It's definitely a limitation, but it's yet to be seen if it's actually going to cause problems or it's it basically just there to prevent people from making two hour long maps or Nuts D4 edition. Either way, it makes sense as they're providing their own hub for the maps that every player has access to - they're unlikely to be able to handle limits that are strictly defined by when the engine just breaks.

I'd imagine it would be a bit inhibiting for people who like to go crazy, but for normal use you might not even get near the limits. Might not even get halfway. That's just optimism, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrXgIhdAJSQ#t=01m35s

You can sort of get a good feel for what the limits are in the video. Shouldn't be too bad as long as there's at least enough lee-way to make any one of the maps from any of the vanilla games. Be it Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, or Doom 2015's own levels. It shouldn't restrict the player from being able to make the maps at least as intricate as the developers' own levels.