Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Some No No's in Mapping

Some map making rules to keep in mind.

Repetition is the number one evil in an SP map.

I just played some of the maps being worked on in FreeDoom and every once in awhile I'd get real excited by something in the levels and then annoyed. The texturing - PETAL TO THE METAL! Jeezus - easy on the metal FFS! Sure, id maps were metal heavy, but it didn't have the overbearing effect these maps had on me, particluarly MAP03. I really liked the lighting around that corner with the cement texture. But was horrified again when it went back to more dark, drab, boring metal.

And what's with the maps starting out looking a lot like the originals and then branching to be something else? I personally think this is a BAD idea. The levels should be totally original imo, but have them still make sense to the original level name, but in an original way. I did like the crate section on MAP06, though; even if it seemed a bit randomly placed and purposeless in the map.

The other thing about repetition. MAZES SUCK. period. Now let me just say that the maze in E1M2 is small and kept interesting by several secrets. In MAP06 - I loved coming to the lift that takes you down and looking out at the nuke thing below. Much better than the id version imo. However that maze below, as cool as it looked, was annoying as hell to run around in! Serious turn off. Also, it reminded me of Half Life :-/. I think that hallway thing should stay - definately, but needs to be SHORTENED to just a passage leading to something new.

Of course all of this requires more work and is more time consuming and more difficult, but it will make the maps infitately better. It keeps the player interested. At least for me.

Now Base style maps that are like a grid are the ultimate evil. Detailed, ritzy, uncreative stolid hallways. Nothing is more boring, dull and unappetizing than these. You know what I'm talking about and if you don't, well, I can't think of any examples because whenever I come across one of these maps I immediately cringe in horror and never touch it again. :P

Hellbent said:

The levels should be totally original imo, but have them still make sense to the original level name, but in an original way.

Absolutely agreed, this should be the motto for Freedoom, not just for levels either.

(Although I can't resist making an exception for the map01 music, which is a brilliant variation on the original tune.)

And mazes only suck if you make them that way :-)

I'm amazed you like the map01 music, I HATE it :)

Hellbent: Care to play e1m1 as well? :) Oh, you're the guy who turned out a DM megawad in a matter of days! or something like that. Would you be interested in making some levels for freedoom?

Hellbent said:

I couldn't figure out how to get out of the room I got the SSG in. :-/

In map07? Did you... um... try to press the switch?

I was on MAP04 and I thought I was on MAP07 for some reason. :-/

I just played your level. Very nice, although I didn't finish it. I died when the mancubi quick roasted me.

How come the arachnids don't make the doors to the mancubi lower? Instead it looks as though a barrier to a swtich is lowered instead? Why did you opt to do it this way?

Jon said:

I'm amazed you like the map01 music, I HATE it :)

That's probably because you heard it too many times!

I have a question about maps 4 and 12. Why are they not finished? Especially map 4.

DooMBoy said:

I have a question about maps 4 and 12. Why are they not finished? Especially map 4.

The authors started them but havent finished them yet. We encourage people submitting levels to submit new versions as they are working so people can see the levels development progress.

my "final" map18 version didn't make it out of the incoming box yet so you can grab it from geocities.com/z_ozwell/DOOM.html (maybe this link?)
I need to know if the ammo/heath balance is ok or for that matter if anything just plain sucks or needs work/help in the map.
Any comments or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

IMO your map18 is pretty nice, but the "painting" (the original wolf texture) in the courtyard at the beginning just looks out of the place.

fraggle said:

The authors started them but havent finished them yet. We encourage people submitting levels to submit new versions as they are working so people can see the levels development progress.

I think thats a good idea, but I'm not sure about unfinishable* levels being built into the main _levels/doom1 wad files.

* as in, you can't progress to the next level

boris said:

IMO your map18 is pretty nice, but the "painting" (the original wolf texture) in the courtyard at the beginning just looks out of the place.

Thanks that was just what i was looking for. The painting is gone and replaced with a small window and a "flowerbox" with shrubbery stuffed in it. I'm much happier with how it looks now, thanks.

Zigmund said:
[...]replaced with a small window and a "flowerbox" with shrubbery stuffed in it.[...]

Careful, give them one and they'll only ask for another. And a path running down the middle :-)