Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ultraviolet

Font

I don't mean to insult anybody's work here, but I strongly dislike the HUD font in FreeDoom. I would think that something more "futuristic" looking would work better than what it is now, somewhat "gothic."

Just a thought. I don't really keep up, so I wouldn't know if it has already been decided by the majority that the font is going to stay no matter what, or if somebody is already working on replacing it.

Maybe a smaller form of the menu font could be used for the HUD as well. That would be more consistent.

If you want to make a replacement font you are free to, but if you wait a few days I may have a new set of tools and readme's up for font work... also we do have a no-replacement policy in effect but I don't think anyone will be too worried about replacing fonts, we can have some kind of poll :)

Heh. Ehhh... See, I don't wanna do it, I just wanna be lame and complain about it. :P

(My "schedule" is actually kinda booked-up for a while.)

Actually, I might have something on my HD that could be usable as menu graphics. I've seen Fredrik's (or was it fraggle?) retouching work, and I think if I were to finish the set (shouldn't be too much work) and send it to Fredrik (or whoever it was), we might have some pretty impressive menu graphics.

Unless that's already done... I don't remember.
/me fires up FreeDooM and checks.

Oh, I see. Those menu graphics seem quite nice... (just checked the DeuTex tree, haven't seen them hovering over the game-background yet)

Ack. That skull, though... Anybody think it would look better as a simple blinking light? I think the menu-skull is a little too comical.

Jon said:

also we do have a no-replacement policy in effect

Well, we discourage replacing things when it isnt neccesary because it creates wasted effort. If people feel they can improve on something which is already there or replace something they dislike with something better though, they're welcome to.

Ultraviolet said:

Ack. That skull, though... Anybody think it would look better as a simple blinking light? I think the menu-skull is a little too comical.

Oi! Thats the freedoom skull :P

Ultraviolet said:

"Heh."
But... wouldn't you rather have a blinking light as your mascott!?
/me goes into rave-mode :P

Well, I'm only kidding. The skull does look a bit goofy on the menu I admit.

The freedoom skull is a kind of running joke. I found the skull on a website which had an animated skull and managed to get permission to use it in freedoom from the author. If you look in the textures its in like a dozen textures because its the only skull we had (we have some more now, like the icon of sin skull).

It kinda reminds me of a puppet... or... a muppet! The jerky movement... !!!

I was unaware that it was a "joke." Heh. Haha. Har. (Heh.)

I sure as hell hope you didn't dig it up on some shitty Slipknot fansite. :P