• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
IMJack

Second or Third Aid

"Does anybody know first aid!?"
"He doesn't deserve first aid. Second or third aid will do."

WARNING: Rant and gross description ahead!!!

Alright, I've had enough. For the past couple of weeks, I've had these skin infections on the tips of my fingers, right where the upper corner of the fingernail (towards the pinkie) meets the skin. I'm almost certain that this is because the corner of the nail pierces the skin, and the cut gets infected. I've had several of these over the last few months, but they always go away within a week or ten days.

However, I have two on my left hand at my middle and ring fingers that have not healed since the start of the summer. These damned things have been oozing pus for several weeks. I try to drain them, but it hasn't worked. I've been using this antibacterial creme from my dermatologist, but it hasn't helped. The middle finger isn't as bad as the ring, but it sometimes starts bleeding when I hit the fingertip against something accidently. And I work retail, so I'm using my hands A LOT and can't help but hit things with my fingers. I cannot get to the head of either infection; it's under the nail itslef, and the pus oozes out from under the nail.

So I want anyone who has experience with this sort of thing to tell me what, if anything, I can do to get these damned things drained and healed so I can do my job and type at a keyboard without these damn things hrting on me.

I suggest buying a box of epsom salt and soaking your hand every day or so. Other than that, can't say, cept maybe cut the tips of your fingers off.

Ugh... It sounds like to me you have some kind of ingrown nail problem. Around two years ago, I've had an ingrown toenail on my big toe on my left foot, and it was full of that pus crap. All I've done was go to a doctor, get the infected area drained, and had the nail shortened to prevent contact with the infected skin. Eventually it healed and I haven't had the problem since. Again, it sounds like ingrown nails, but that's just me.

Try following Lutarez's advice, for the short-time, I'd suggest using some tea-tree oil or other natural ointment (oil might be better) and dousing your finger tip in that.