Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The /er2

Zdoom vs. Jdoom

SlayeR said:

Legacy is better than JDoom, but thats only cos my comp is slow ;)

And nothing beats ZDoom.

I might like JDoom better the day it has ACS, Hexen format maps, and can startup faster than ZDoom... (which will be, umm, never.)

The only thing I use Zdoom for is testing my new maps out. other than that though, Jdoom doesnt take nearly as long to load as UT or any other of those new high graphic games, so I don't mind waiting. it's worth the wait to see those great MD2 models and cool effects that makes Jdoom so good.

The /er2 said:

The only thing I use Zdoom for is testing my new maps out. other than that though, Jdoom doesnt take nearly as long to load as UT or any other of those new high graphic games, so I don't mind waiting. it's worth the wait to see those great MD2 models and cool effects that makes Jdoom so good.

Hmmm, I happen to think the new md2s for jdoom are ugly, and the 'cool effects' just happen to slow the game down to about 10fps.

But as I said, my comp is crappy (350mhz)...

Yes I have the latest models. All they did was take Edmundo's ZDoomGL models and give them retarded walking animations, and skins which don't look much like the original sprites anyway.

SlayeR said:

Yes I have the latest models. All they did was take Edmundo's ZDoomGL models and give them retarded walking animations, and skins which don't look much like the original sprites anyway.

I'm not talking about the animation updates that they did over 5 months ago. I'm talking about the Lost Soul update, the pain elemental update, and the HUD weapons update that Cheb did. look at the screenshots I posted, How can those possibly look bad?

Those madels in the screenshots are newer than the ones I have, but not much better. Isn't that pistol just ripped from Half-Life?

The 'ugly' models I'm referring to are the former humans, imps, & demons. The other ones are OK, but aren't much like the original sprites.

I still prefer Edmundo's good old ZDoomGL models ;)

SlayeR said:

Those madels in the screenshots are newer than the ones I have, but not much better. Isn't that pistol just ripped from Half-Life?

The 'ugly' models I'm referring to are the former humans, imps, & demons. The other ones are OK, but aren't much like the original sprites.

I still prefer Edmundo's good old ZDoomGL models ;)

The Newest models also contain all new Former humans, imps, and shotgun guys. They all look much better now, just like how you see the better looking Lost souls and pain elementals. The new former humans and shotgun guys even have more than 1 face now. Each time you see them they will have a random face.

Oh yeah, and about the "Half Life Rippoff"... That pistol wasn't ripped from anything. Abbs did all of those weapons by himself. if it happens to look like a half life pistol, it is just a coincidence. I'm sure if you took a screenshot of the Half Life pistol, you would see the major difference. Unfortunetely, I don't have Half Life to show you.

The pistol you had in Half-Life was a Glock. I have no clue about weapons, but the pistol in this JDoom screenshot is not a Glock. It's not even black :)

It looks somewhat like the hi-def model version of the HL pistol.

But not enough like it.

Arioch said:

Let's start with:

ZDoom is fully Boom-compatible. JDoom isn't.

ZDoom's boom compatibility is rough on the edges. from the editing docs:

1.The docs are muddiliy worded on this point, but seem to indicate that linedef type 260 cannot use a custom tranmap.
2.Generalized manual doors cannot change lighting. This is IMO a very stupid thing to be done by the zdoom people; it's a great effect and there's no reason why they shouldnt support it.
3.Textures with non power of 2 heights do not tile correctly. I have been informed that this problem is not in the latest beta, however going by the official editing docs and the latest official version, the problem is most definately there.

so while theres 98% boom compatibility, its definately not "fully" boom compatible.

The only places of imcompatibility with Boom is where there have been enhancement over boom, because the base for ZDoom was Boom!

Sphagne said:

The only places of imcompatibility with Boom is where there have been enhancement over boom, because the base for ZDoom was Boom!

no, the boom feature of generalized push doors changing lighting levels was *removed* in zdoom.

Arioch said:

The "latest official version" is 3 years old.

The "betas" are solid.

hmm, which beta should i use then? is there a best one?

The /er2 said:

The Newest models also contain all new Former humans, imps, and shotgun guys. They all look much better now, just like how you see the better looking Lost souls and pain elementals. The new former humans and shotgun guys even have more than 1 face now. Each time you see them they will have a random face.

Oh yeah, and about the "Half Life Rippoff"... That pistol wasn't ripped from anything. Abbs did all of those weapons by himself. if it happens to look like a half life pistol, it is just a coincidence. I'm sure if you took a screenshot of the Half Life pistol, you would see the major difference. Unfortunetely, I don't have Half Life to show you.

Yes, those models ARE the ugly ones. The former humans with different faces.

And I didn't say the pistol was ripped from half life, I meant it LOOKS like it's ripped. It doesn't look anything like the original doom pistol. At all.

SlayeR said:

And I didn't say the pistol was ripped from half life, I meant it LOOKS like it's ripped. It doesn't look anything like the original doom pistol. At all.

It looks like the results of a druken illicit union between a Colt 1911 and a Glock - it's got the size and basic shape of a Colt but the slide looks vaguely Glockish. Glocks don't have exposed hammers though. It's definitely not the same make as the original Doom pistol which is a Beretta of some kind, most likely a Model 92 because of the military setting. Berettas (and clones like some Taurus models) are characterised by their wide shell ejection port.

Boom was not the base for ZDoom. I may be wrong, but I think the very first ZDoom predates Boom. It definitely developed independantly either way, with Boom's features being merged in at a later date.

As for the original topic of this thread, it's one that's bound to start arguments. Both ports are perfectly fine at what they do. It's all a matter of taste.

Sky Jake may have changed his mind since then, but a year or so agao I asked him when JDOOM was going to get features like slopes, 3D floors, and scripting. He basically ripped my head off and told me if I wanted "that junk" I could go use someone elses port. So I do.

:p

Rellik said:

I asked him when JDOOM was going to get features like slopes, 3D floors, and scripting. He basically ripped my head off and told me if I wanted "that junk" I could go use someone elses port.

Very good self promotion right there!

jDoom does has it's own scripting system, well not really, more of a set of extended linedefs...called XG.

Someone has probably already mentioned that (probably even me) but I couldn't be bothered reading back and my memory is bad :P

I could never get JDoom to work, on account of me never having GL support.

the_Danarchist said:

I could never get JDoom to work, on account of me never having GL support.

Um, where is the point of running a OpenGL game without having an accelerator card?

SlayeR said:

Heh, you could always run JDoom with the -allowsoftware parameter, for 1fps software OpenGL goodness!

*shudder*

No, no contest. ZDoom by a country mile.

boris said:

Um, where is the point of running a OpenGL game without having an accelerator card?

Well, it claimed to have GL support.

the_Danarchist said:

Well, it claimed to have GL support.

Heh, what card do you have?

i've gotta say Zdoom- to me Jdoom just doesnt keep my attention, Legacy comes second to zdoom compared to compatibility, options, *Stability*(a big issue) and everyone's favorite-skins.

Jdoom is just fancy eye candy for a high-end computer which most people out there just don't have. (475mhz and 256mb ram just isn't enough) Besides, Jdoom doesn't work in dos which my level editor is (dck2.62)

I've grown attachted to zdoom 1.19 for that dos reason (the only real reason i got 1.22 as well is to play dark7)

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Hiya.

JDOOM or ZDOOM?

Playing = JDOOM
Editing = ZDOOM

But that's only because you only gave me those two choices. ;)

I can't stand playing any DOOM/HEXEN/HERTIC version "on normal mode"...this includes non-GL ZDOOM. It's so fricken ugly I can't stand it. So, I only use/play "GL" ports of those games now. With that in mind, I much prefer ZDOOMGL with regards to scripting. I use JHEXEN over normal HEXEN, and JHERETIC over normal HERETIC. Now, like someone esle, I emailed the JDOOM guy about a year ago...asking if hexen-oriented scripting would ever be implemented for JDOOM. I also got a rather matter-of-fact reply: No. Which is too bad. I find JDOOM's GL implimentation much better than ZDOOMGL's by far.

From a "capabilities" standpoint, there isn't much contest: ZDOOM simply has the market cornered there. It has a TON of things you can do with it; scripting, fog, water, etc... JDOOM has...well, pretty lights. ;)

Arioch said:

Let's start with:

ZDoom is fully Boom-compatible. JDoom isn't.
ZDoom supports slopes. JDoom doesn't.
ZDoom has more-or-less working peer-to-peer multiplayer. I've never heard or seen of people playing JDoom multiplayer.

ZDoom can play Vrack2. JDoom ... can't.

ZDOOM will run Hell Revealed at an acceptable framerate. JDOOM won't.
ZDOOM doesn't resize your desktop when you close the program. JDOOM does.
ZDOOM has obituaries. JDOOM doesn't.
ZDOOM can be played for more than 40 minutes without blowing up. JDOOM... well... you know. :)