Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geekmarine

E1M4

Hey, I just submitted an in-progress version of E1M4. Darn it, who had to go and make episode one take place on the moon? I just read that darned background information thingy and now I feel like a total wonk, as I put a helicopter pad in. Of course, I realize that it's just a game, but never would you have a helicopter on the moon (no air, no aircraft). Oh man, that just ruined my day, and I actually liked it, too. Oh well, E1M1 has all sorts of plants growing, maybe it will work out. Anyways, if the powers that be feel it would work best somewhere else, feel free to move it, as I just pulled E1M4 out of my arse. Reallly, I've mainly just been working on creating an E1-style level, with no real focus as to what it would be, other than the helicopter pad with supplies and I'm going to have a central computer room thingy. Although, no, I like it, it fits, keep it E1M4.

geekmarine said:

Hey, I just submitted an in-progress version of E1M4. Darn it, who had to go and make episode one take place on the moon? I just read that darned background information thingy and now I feel like a total wonk, as I put a helicopter pad in. Of course, I realize that it's just a game, but never would you have a helicopter on the moon (no air, no aircraft). Oh man, that just ruined my day, and I actually liked it, too. Oh well, E1M1 has all sorts of plants growing, maybe it will work out. Anyways, if the powers that be feel it would work best somewhere else, feel free to move it, as I just pulled E1M4 out of my arse. Reallly, I've mainly just been working on creating an E1-style level, with no real focus as to what it would be, other than the helicopter pad with supplies and I'm going to have a central computer room thingy. Although, no, I like it, it fits, keep it E1M4.

Hi, Don't worry about it. I wrote the txt with the moon story (which I hope people like.. comments please! ;)) and I also made e1m1 so don't panic :) The idea in my story was that it was an abandoned military base or something up there, there's no timescale or dates mentioned so the possibility of the moon being partially terraformed or having some form of added atmosphere is fine.

The truth is, once the shareware episode IWAD is completed, I am interested in maintaining it or creating a spin-off with a more coherent story or theme or something.

Aww, thanks Jon, I didn't mean to badmouth your story or anything. By the way, as for the story, I like the idea, but it's just not... creepy... enough. I mean, what's so horrible about aliens on an abandoned moon base? We need to have "things" take over an active base, so that we get a sense of terror, and it has to indicate that something happened, but not exactly what. Sorry, I know that's starting to sound like Doom, but I was thinking Aliens as well, where they go down and everybody is missing. I think the marine should go into this not knowing much of anything, except that the base has been overrun by... somthing. Do whatever you want, just make it creepy. I've got it!!! Strange ruins uncovered under the base! That'll do it. Wait wait wait, even better. Okay, when you go there, you have no idea anything is wrong. Still ruins, still moon, but start out just going there as assignment, arrive everyone is gone, sense of evil, find a corpse, know something is wrong. Sorry, I'm thinking faster than I can type, ruins of strange what appears to be spaceship, dang too much like Aliens sorry, no better yet sort of like stargate teleporter, accidently activated, maybe too close to Doom? Can anyone make any sense of this at all?

It doesn't have to be a helicopter that lands there. It could be some kind of small shuttle or cargo ship, which means you might be able to leave the landing pad in the map, with a few slight changes.

Thats ok :) The story does leave a lot to be filled during the episode... like where did all those former humans come from? I'm hoping we can add to it with set pieces that make the player think 'hold on, somethings not right..' plus my e1m8 is looking really good (and a bit controversial)

Jon said:

Thats ok :) The story does leave a lot to be filled during the episode... like where did all those former humans come from? I'm hoping we can add to it with set pieces that make the player think 'hold on, somethings not right..' plus my e1m8 is looking really good (and a bit controversial)

controversial ehh? how so?

You'll have to wait and see... (actually maybe nobody will find it controversial at all)