Find results in...
Quasar

Reply to Hodapp's Wish List

In response to your first thread:

Issues:
(a) Crosshair alignment is being looked at, as we discussed earlier

(b) Ditto for the lack of episode menu when playing a modified game

(d) There's not really anything I can do about the menu. There's no
way to simultaneously satisfy all different wads without simply disallowing modification of the menu graphics, which is not a good idea for many more reasons. So it'll just have to stay ugly.

(e) The best solution for the menu problem when fonts don't use the red color is definitely a small zdoom-style menu cursor that moves to the highlighted menu item. This should be fairly simple for me to add

Wants:
(1) I'm fairly certain Eternity supports specifying the save directory.

(2) Additional letter-box resolutions are possible, but not preferable to aspect ratio correction. I intend to speak with SoM about this, but he has very little time now due to his job and may not be able to help me any more :(

(3) Custom crosshairs are possible, but very low priority.

(4) Antialiasing is a complicated mathematical operation that really needs hardware support to be efficient. Also, while it would probably be a fairly simple operation on flat graphics, which are planar and unmasked, DOOM textures are stored in the complicated column-post format and have masking, multiple patches, etc. This would make it a special kind of nightmare in software.

(5) Extended height checking -- Joel Murdoch was supposed to send me some code that addressed this, but he seems to have disappeared as of late and hasn't mentioned that code in a long time. Joel, if you're out there, I'm still interested ^_^
3D floors -- I'm not interested in that; its too ad-hoc in DOOM.
Decals -- unlikely, as I think they're not very realistic (ie, rocket explosion damage that magically fixes itself later)

(6) Consistency between ports? Ahahaha ^_^

Junk:
(1) Eternity will have its own DDF-like feature, EDF. I don't think its a waste of time, as it'll enable a lot of new, powerful editing features.

In response to your third thread:

(1) Save game name replacement issue -- would be difficult to fix due to the way the menu code works in general. I'll take a look at it though.

(2) Extra info in save games is not a terrible idea, but I'm not hot on the mini-screenshot idea -- for one, the space requirements are too high, IMO, and I don't want to have to compress the save files.

Someone replied to my wish list? I'm touched deeply.

"(d) There's not really anything I can do about the menu.... So it'll just have to stay ugly."
I suppose the menu in some WADs also don't work with any ports. I might as well just make patches myself that fix the menu graphics in some of that stuff, as long as the authors don't kill me.
Can you AT LEAST shove the Features item down at the bottom or something? It just looks so ugly nasty blah.

"(1) I'm fairly certain Eternity supports specifying the save directory."
How? I have tried -savedir as works in BOOM, but it seems to do nothing.

"(3) Custom crosshairs are possible, but very low priority."
I WANT A DOT! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

"(4) Antialiasing is a complicated mathematical operation that really needs hardware support to be efficient. Also, while it would probably be a fairly simple operation on flat graphics, which are planar and unmasked, DOOM textures are stored in the complicated column-post format and have masking, multiple patches, etc. This would make it a special kind of nightmare in software."
Fiiiiiiiiine...
Actually I would almost prefer a few jagged edges over graphics that are a bit blurry and slow. Antialiasing sometimes seems to me just to make things less clear, and things just look sharper when unaliased.
If I compare, for example, Vavoom and Eternity, Eternity just looks so much sharper and clearer.

"(5) Extended height checking -- Joel Murdoch was supposed to send me some code that addressed this, but he seems to have disappeared as of late and hasn't mentioned that code in a long time. Joel, if you're out there, I'm still interested ^_^"
My main issue with this is when there's some kind of pit or large drop with monsters in it, and you're on top, and you can't move on top of a monster even if you're 156,000 units above their head. Also with cacodemons, and you can't walk under them regardless of how high they are.

"3D floors -- I'm not interested in that; its too ad-hoc in DOOM."
Yes, I suppose... few levels use it. How many variations of this are there again?

"Decals -- unlikely, as I think they're not very realistic (ie, rocket explosion damage that magically fixes itself later)"
Leave it to the BUILD engine.

Junk:
"(1) Eternity will have its own DDF-like feature, EDF. I don't think its a waste of time, as it'll enable a lot of new, powerful editing features."
That's why I said I thought DDF support was _useless_.

In response to your third thread:
"(1) Save game name replacement issue -- would be difficult to fix due to the way the menu code works in general. I'll take a look at it though."
I don't see how hard it exactly would be, then again I don't know...

"(2) Extra info in save games is not a terrible idea, but I'm not hot on the mini-screenshot idea -- for one, the space requirements are too high, IMO, and I don't want to have to compress the save files."
I'm not too hot on the mini-screenshots either, I was just wondering which game I used to play that had them.

Quasar said:
(5) Extended height checking -- Joel Murdoch was supposed to send me some code that addressed this, but he seems to have disappeared as of late and hasn't mentioned that code in a long time. Joel, if you're out there, I'm still interested ^_^
3D floors -- I'm not interested in that; its too ad-hoc in DOOM.
Decals -- unlikely, as I think they're not very realistic (ie, rocket explosion damage that magically fixes itself later)

I totally forgot about this. I'll add it to TheList(tm).

I'll mail you soon about some other stuff too.