Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Beta 33 woes

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but occasionally, when I boot up ZDoom beta 33, the exe gives me an error. No specific error, just an error sign with ZDoom as the main cause.
Anyway, when I start the game, there's no sound! And I don't believe there's any real cause for this-ZDoom 1.22 never did this. So, has anyone else had this problem, and what causes it?

I also wondered if the network code really IS broken in beta 33. I can't get that bitch to network for the life of me (have to use previous version).

Yes Use3D, the network code is absolutely broken in beta33. If you want to play multiplayer with all of the zdoom goodies working, state email address here and I will send you a repaired version (the 2.0 pre7).

DooMBoy, some of the zdoom 1.23 betas had fmod problems, but I thought that was sorted out OK with beta33. Make sure you have the fmod.dll that shipped with beta33. Did your sound used to work with beta33 and something went wrong later, or did your sound never work with beta33?

That's the problem. Sometimes it (the sound) works, but most of the time it doesn't.

thanks biffy. i have a previous version zipped up on one of my machines, and got it all worked out

I have Zdoom 1.22 and now I'm not sure whether to install Beta 33 or not :/

You should get beta 33 unless you want to play multiplayer or watch demos. It is much better looking and also faster than ZDoom v1.22

Never happened to me. You could just use doom2 instead, it doesn't do that (J/K, you probably use it enough already, it's just that each time someone asks for help on setting up doom/doom2 someone pops in to spam other engines, might as well do the opposite here). But for me, what zdoom does is somehow lower the sound of midi playback, and I have to fidget with window's midi sound volume after I exit zdoom (the volume indicator is in the same place as usual, but the volume is much lower). Also, I tried using timidity with it, but each time I picked something up the music would stop for an instant while the pickup sound was heard. Haven't tried lately, maybe the last beta fixed this timidity problem...

BTW, does zdoom change the DOOM palette in some way? Zdoom screenshots seem to be slightly different, cyan is blue for example; although applying the DOOM palette to them with a gfx editor seems to work (and there is eventually no noticeable difference). Also, the red hue flashing when you get hurt (or showing after you pick up a berserk pack) looks different. Explain if you will.

Errr, the only 'flashing' difference I know of is that item pickup flash is shorter. In doom if you picked up many items at once the flash would almost blind you for about 1 second :P

As for the other stuff, I don't notice any colour difference, and the midi doesn't change the windows volume control for me...

SlayeR said:

Errr, the only 'flashing' difference I know of is that item pickup flash is shorter. In doom if you picked up many items at once the flash would almost blind you for about 1 second :P

As for the other stuff, I don't notice any colour difference, and the midi doesn't change the windows volume control for me...

How can it blind you if it makes the screen brighter? As for the colors, I'll assume the difference in the reds (it's slightly lighter in zdoom) is related to whatever changes the screenies slightly.

In respect to the sound, as I noted, it does not modify the sound control, just lowers the volume for MIDI based apps (such as DOOM on DOS, for example), and to fix it I have to move the Windows MIDI volume control a bit. This is in Win98, no idea if it happens in other OSs (XP, or whatever)

myk said:

But for me, what zdoom does is somehow lower the sound of midi playback, and I have to fidget with window's midi sound volume after I exit zdoom (the volume indicator is in the same place as usual, but the volume is much lower).

Yes, that happens to me too, although in my case even with windows' midi volume up full it's still so quiet that I can't hear anything. I have to lower the sound effects slider in ZDoom to the lowest setting and turn my hi-fi volume WAY up. I've almost deafened myself a couple of times by playing an MP3 or something in Winamp and forgetting to turn the volume back down first ;)

BTW, I presume you're using either an SB Live! or an SB Audigy, as I haven't heard of this problem with any other sound cards.

This is sort off topic but can u turn that flash off when u pick up an item cause in doom legacy when i pick up an item it lags for like half a sec and its really annoying.

Death666 said:

This is sort off topic but can u turn that flash off when u pick up an item cause in doom legacy when i pick up an item it lags for like half a sec and its really annoying.

This is most likely not the flash but the sound (maybe not, though sound has done what you mention to me). Try reducing the sound frequency; in engines like zdoom and legacy it it often set pretty high (like 44,100 Hz). Lower it to 22,050 or 11,025 (the latter is just like doom's). High frequency sounds use up a lot of RAM.