Find results in...
DooMBoy

MD2s vs Sprites

What's better?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's better?

• MD2s
    • Sprites

every 3d model i've seen in Doom looks like ass. they just don't fit.

Mr. Chris said:

3d models all the way!

I'd like them. If they didn't look like ass, move like ass, act like ass, smell like ass..etc,etc...

Something about everything makes me not want to accept them. From the terrible looks to the insanely BAD animation. To the spider mastermind behaving like a pan of jiffy pop.

I'd much rather play Doom with models, but unfortunately most of the current ones look like ass (as many of you had pointed out). So until somebody makes some decent-looking models I'm stickin' with sprites.

I like models better, because it just gives them a more solid feel when you shoot them. And since the game isn't actually scary any more, I'm not worried that the models don't look super detailed and great. Actually, not all of them look that bad. The caco, for example, is as good as I'd hope for.

JavaGuy said:

I like models better, because it just gives them a more solid feel when you shoot them. And since the game isn't actually scary any more, I'm not worried that the models don't look super detailed and great. Actually, not all of them look that bad. The caco, for example, is as good as I'd hope for.

To me the models just....don't..'feel' right. ya know? Everything moves so badly they don't convince me that they are Doom monsters anymore, but rather Quake 1 with bad, not so brown skins. Doom may not be scary anymore to some, but others can be scared if they want to. Depends on how vivid you let your imagination be. I do on a regular basis, and it's fun ;). But for that you need to be CONVINCED. I can't do that with the models no matter how hard I try because both thier terrible looks (many don't even look like doom monsters to me) and HORRID animations, CANNOT convince me. The revenant from a distance looks kinda like a goth kid in football gear.

Definately sprites. It's upsetting to shoot a 3d imp and watch it float to the floor.
The timing is all wrong.

Maybe if they were done better...

I think sprites will always be my favorite. They look good, they die good.

Sometimes 3D models look like someone made them, shoved a huge stick up their ass then made then walk around.

Sprites damnit!

Heh I use glboom (prboom GL) but have the textures set to "nearest" instead of "linear" - turns off the blurring. Everything looks almost identical to the software version but it runs a lot quicker. For some reason, I cant run in software at 640x400 at a decent speed. I like GL mode for the speed but dont like the flashy features most ports add.

I have a sprite/MD2 mix at the moment for Jdoom.

Torched, Lamps, tech columns, floor weapons, items
= MD2s.

Monsters, Gore, Hanging corpses, HUD weapons
= Sprites.

think shadow warrior (and blood I think) It works nicely, but takes some fiddling around to get right. I'll probably never accept MD2 monsters. I keep them around for show

Jdoom is the only source I use any MD2s with. and I only use Jdoom with the Official wads (doom.wad doom2.wad tnt.wad plutona.wad). everything else is Zdoom, all sprites

For Doom, sprites. In fact, most of my favorite games are sprite-reliant: Doom, Civilization, Sim City, Diablo, Fallout...

You know, even Civilization 3, a brand new game, has no 3d models save some rendered sprites and a few sparce movies, and it remains an awesome game.