Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

The specter question…

How should spectres be rendered?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How should spectres be rendered?

• Fuzz effect (default)
    • Translucent (PSX, Jdoom, ZdoomGL, ect)
    • Other

Source ports can't seem to make up there mind about using the fuzz effect, or just making specters translucent. witch do you prefer?

Neither and both. I want the spectre to be transperent AND black/white.

orion said:

Neither and both. I want the spectre to be transperent AND black/white.

sounds like you want a nightmare spectre, go play psx doom and search for them, they can be pretty easy to find on UV, last time i saw one was at the beginning of e1m7 i think when i last played...

I like to make them more dangerous, so in EDGE I made them stealth which means they are totally 100% invisible UNTIL they attack. I also made it so the spectres don't have any sounds other than their bite sound so I dunno if one sees me or anything....pretty fun ^_^

footman said:

sounds like you want a nightmare spectre, go play psx doom and search for them, they can be pretty easy to find on UV, last time i saw one was at the beginning of e1m7 i think when i last played...

I've seen those before, those are usually black/cyan so no. I was thinking more of a lighter black with white highlights and I want it to be more transperent. Although the nightmare spectre is kick ass.

I like my spectres transparent. They can scare the shit out of you, especially in dark areas.

DooMBoy said:

I like my spectres transparent. They can scare the shit out of you, especially in dark areas.

Wouldn't a fuzzy spectre be better at that since he's already dark himself?

I pick the fuzz effect because I think an almost shapeless monster with no features to speak of is a lot scarier than a translucent version of the pinky.

i like the way MBF does the spectre. A completely undetailed translucent mass that is non fuzzy. you can see any features on it, it's just a disturbance in the air.

I like JDooms fuzz effect with the red glowing eyes.

the_Danarchist said:

I want a fuzzy cacodemon.

I dont know about that one.

the_Danarchist said:

It's called hissy...duuuh.

hizzy isn't fussy.

the_Danarchist said:

Wait...that isn't your testicle...ITS HISSY!

OMG!! /me takes hissy out of his scrotum
What were you doing down there?

Whose next on the list to cherish thee hissy?

I think the fuzz effect should be used in software mode to be true to the original, however it isnt really possible in GL modes. If its carefully balanced translucency can be used quite effectively as a replacement.

fraggle said:
I think the fuzz effect should be used in software mode to be true to the original, however it isnt really possible in GL modes. If its carefully balanced translucency can be used quite effectively as a replacement.

True, true. One of the only things software has over hardware IMO. I like the fuzz effect coz it reminds me of the Predator. :) I have seen some good GL effects though, sort of dark translucent spectres, witch is as close as GL mode can get.

On another note, I wish there was a way to replace all spectres with Stealth demons from Zdoom. That would rock!