Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Volte

Wierd Error

OH GOD!! My level is corrupted or something! I have no clue what happened.
The walls and stuff are still intact, but everything is messed up...
The first room's data according to WadAuthor:

Ceiling
---
Image: E14
Height: 0

Floor
---
Image:
Height: 0

Lighting: 24373
Sector Tag: 168

Now, to me it looks like the bytes got shifted over or something... The
ceiling is supposed to be SLIME14, but it only caught E14,
and the lighting is supposed to be 168, not the sector tag. No idea what
the 24373 is supposed to represent.

WTF?!

WadAuthor has been known to throw fits like that. Just find a backup of your map (I think WadAuthor does save them as .bak files), rename it to whatever.wad, then try again, or use another editor.

Yes, it's happened to me before, where all the sectors seem to change properties. If you were trying to 'save sectors' (changing the sector references in one sector to those of another sector with identical properties, thus 'deleting' a sector - people usually do it to save space in doom2.exe wads) then this may be the cause. I advise not to do that in WA, as it sometimes happens when I try it.

did you delete a sector linedef by linedef. I did that a couple of times and my level jacked. I found out that you have delete the whole sector at once and then any linedefs that are left over can be zapped one by one. at least thats my experience.

I don't think I did anything. It worked fine, but there was one error
causing ZDoom to illegal oper (it would cause the Z_CheckHeap in doom2.exe).
I loaded the game to see where exactly the error was, and the level
loaded fine. Then I changed one thing (flipped a line or something),
saved it, and when I loaded ZDoom all I got was the "missing texture"
checkerboard pattern. When I got back to WA, everything was messed up.

:-\

It doesn't matter now, anyway. I got the registered version of DeePSea
in the mail today, so I switched.

WadAuthor programming is anything but crappy. It's smooth and professional. And yes, it does contain a bug, as many decent programs do.

And, after the recent "Let's beat up Jack" thread where Jack V. (Deep) was accused of lousy programming, selfish motives, etc. look what VolteFace just bought! Smart choice! :)

I got my deepsea the other day, and use both deepsea and wadauthor. Both are nice tools, although i've experienced the same problems with wadauthor. WA seems to give me the most shit when i use it with other editors (DoomED), my WA only maps (designed for Zdoom) never had any issues..yet

i have to say that i'm enjoying learning deepsea very much, and it's a fine editor. Worth every cent.

I really like Wad author, but there is some of the things i don't like. I think i have to try some other editors soon. :)

My concern with other editors is the lack of updates to the program. I do like WA as an editor but seeing how there have been no updates for quite some time it's tough to use it as my main editor. I have been using Deepsea as my main editor and the support I have been getting has been excellent, no complaints. No, it's not bug free but it's continuously being worked on and updated on a regular basis unlike the many editors out there. I've tried WA, good editor but there's times it can become unstable. And when the last update from the author of WadAuthor was 03/18/01 then I have to consider the support I'm gonna get. He's very tough to get ahold of, Jack or Deep or whatever you wish to call him is always there. Either e-mail is answered within a day or two and he even has a phone number you can call him. Whether you like Jack and his attitude or not, that's your choice but for me the constantly updated "Deepsea" editing program is the best supported and updated editor. I can live with the attitude, just give me a good program with the support.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I will continue to use WadAuthor for some things (scripting, for example),
because IMO, DeepSea's script compiling system sucks. Just my opinion.
I like to just type the script and hit compile instead of keeping in
on my hard drive and having to sift through a bunch of files every
few minutes to find it. For straight Doom levels, it's definately
better. I like the line-drawing ability -- that was the the one reason
I stuck with Waded right up until a few weeks ago.