Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Deaf in Boom

No matter how hard I try, I can't get the sound to work in Boom (or PrBoom, or MBF, or SMMU). I've tried the tweaking the configuration file thing. I've tried all different sound card settings. I don't have this problem with any of the other ports. Did they just use shit sound code or what? Is there any version of these ports that uses different sound code?

I'm surprised you can't get anything from PRBoom. Being a windows port it uses an entirely different sound system to the DOS ones.

The DOS ports you mention use the Allegro sound libraries, and a lot of people (me included) have sound problems. On my system, using the default settings, all the sound effects sound like a peeled cat being rolled in salt and having its nails dragged across a blackboard. I eventually managed to get most of them to sound reasonable with my SB live after spending a bit of time trying alternative sound settings.

What sound card do you have?

The following might be worth trying in your CFG if its an SB Live.

sound_card 5

music_card 1

PRBoom sounds fine on my system, without having to tweak anything.

Whilst on sound and ports though, anyone having sound problems with the latest Jdoom? Previous versions have all sounded fine to me, but the latest one (I forget the number, but it came out pretty recently) is silent, no matter what I do.

Sound in Boom, SMMU, MBF and DOS Eternity is nearly impossible to get working properly if you have an SB Live! or an SB Audigy, unfortunately :(

Make sure you use the latest PrBoom, I believe it's version 2.2.3

The original Boom has sound problems because of the type of sound libraries it uses and the advent of new audio cards and the support for those type of libraries. PrBoom has the latest SDL_mixer files and the such and they work fine on my machine. I have a Sound Blaster Live! card and it works without a hitch.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Draconio said:

No matter how hard I try, I can't get the sound to work in Boom (or PrBoom, or [...]

The old prboom 2.02 Proff started or the newer versions by Proff and cph (latest 2.2.3)? I doubt you can have sound problems with the newer ones. Not sure about the older one, but using it is pointless.

I'm in fact having problems with sound in PrBoom. If I try the one version of SDL_Mixer, I get perfect sound but no music. If I try the other one, I get music but choppy sounds. Doesn't bother me an awful lot though.

Fredrik said:

[...] If I try the one version of SDL_Mixer, I get perfect sound but no music. If I try the other one, I get music but choppy sounds. [...]

Which gives you music & choppy sounds, the hack that relies on Windows' MIDI resources? Did you try the normal one with timidity patches?

myk said:

Did you try the normal one with timidity patches?

No. I don't want to bother with installing those. I use a 100MB soundfont for regular MIDI playback, and I just think it's a shame that SDL's mixer won't make proper use of that, because all other applications do have working sound...