Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Heretic

How can I extend animated texture sequences

I want to know how I can extend animated texture sequences of both textures and flats for my wad. Flats preferably. I use Deepsea editor and wintex to handle the graphics (still vague on deepseas texture functions). I know how to create my own texture names in deepsea, but i need to know how to go about making longer anims. The wad is for doom2 legacy if thats of any relavance. So is there a way of inserting more frames into these sequences?

It's easy to do with ZDoom, but I don't know about Legacy.

If the level is compatible with any port, I suggest making it for ZDoom and using the animdefs lump. If it's Legacy-specific, then I don't know.

I know Legacy has Boom lindef support. Does it also support the animated and switches lumps? If so, you can get the Boom utilities and create your own animation sequences in a text file, compile them and include the compiled lumps to add as many animations, of any length, as you want without disturbing the old ones. The specific utility you need is called swantbls.exe and comes in a zip of utilities. Not too surprisingly (from what I just said) you can also define as many extra switches as you want too.

Again, it is easy in Zdoom as well, and there are more possibilites than simply using the Boom utility (as Ultimate DooMer said). Zdoom certainly supports the Boom utility as well as its own animdefs format.

Thanks for your help guys. Im not familiar with such a lump as animdefs. Im downloading the boom utils to try them out (although the download just NOW timed out at 1kbs :0 !) I try again. Im not sure if im gonna understand the utility to insert anims. Its the principle of this operation that I feel I need to grasp. I cant help but thinking a bunch of new textures named in increments (lava1, lava2, lava3) is just gonna tell the doom engine that I have a nice selection of similar textures to use.(flats in my case ATM)
Is it their physical order in the list of flats (like in wintex) that defines them? Aw, im confusin myself. Btw, im only new to configuring lumps within deepsea editor.
Can someone show me by example and make me a 10 frame animated flat wihin a wad, with any port that supports it? the animation can be anything as long as it spans the sequence and I can see how it works. The author will be credited for informing my ill-informed self by example:P Would be much appreciated.

I think you will find the format of the data file you need to create for the boom util pretty straight forward, but if you are still having problems I could easily throw something together for you in both the boom style format and the Zdoom one so that you can see the differences.

The boom format is more universal (ie more ports support it), but the Zdoom format is a bit more flexible and IMO marginally easier to set up. Also, in the Zdoom format the lumps are imported as text files, whereas the boom lumps need to be compiled by the util first.

It's Friday night, and the bright lights beckon, so no examples tonight, but if you still need one when the alcoholic haze finally subsides, I'll do it, no problem.

Hi Enjay, I am still trying out this technique, however not used boom utils yet.
Someone (Bites) made me an example in vanilla, it did not need a port at all and had 10 frames in a flat, each frame picture was a frame number, so i saw how it worked visually in the game, then I inserted smooth lava into it. It worked on legacy and regular doom2.exe. I have not attempted yet to recreate what he has done. Now I would like to see texture animations lengthend. My reason is I want a couple of 15 frame animated textures for walls. Maybe textures is different. Feel free to intergrate a substance influenced method of thought into this example, as it has helped my megawad.
Anyway, thanks again.

Heh...yeah. Me. :P

Yeah...I remember that I asked about this same kinda thing ages ago...and someone told me a trick to be able to do this in vanilla...

Firstly, you need to make (or rather copy) the number of frames you want into your wad or a new one. Then rename them as such...

LAVA1 (it has to replace an existing animation for vanilla)
LAVA2
LAVA3
LAVAx
LAVA4

Where x is the number of extra textures you need.

If you don't understand or really don't care, email me.

well. afaik. The only thing about Boom that legacy don't support is Bex. but I never tried the animdefs lump myself. so weather it works or not, I'm not sure. But from what SoM told me, it should work.

Just in case wires are getting crossed here:

animdefs is the name of the Zdoom specific, text format lump

ANIMATED is the name of the compiled lump created from a text file using the Boom utility SWANTBLS.EXE

I suspect ANIMATED will be supported by Legacy, I'd be less confident that animdefs would be.

Also, the example of extending texture animations is quite correct, but it is worth pointing out that there are some animations defined in doom2.exe that are not actually used by the game. If you add textures called WFALL1 to WFALL4 and/or flats called SWATER1 to SWATER4 then doom will animate them.