Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
White

Help/Sparks

How can I create the spark effect used in ZDoom in coordination with a sound file? I have imported the sound from the original Quake but I am naive to the extent on how to use them together. I am unable to get sparks to appear on the screen at all. Thank you for your time.

Black/White

You need to put the spark "thing" in the map with your favorite editor. Give it a tag number. Set its Z coordinate for height. Then, activate the sparks by script. A good script to use is one which activates the spark thing at random intervals. For example,

script 502 open
{
delay (random(const:10,35*3));
Thing_Activate (4);
restart;
}

This script will activate the spark thing tagged 4 at random intervals, between 10/35 of a second and 3 seconds.

I draw blanks in scripting.
One day I will learn.
Noone understands me.
One day I will learn.
Oh well.
Don't mind me, my day sucked.

White said:

How can I create the spark effect used in ZDoom in coordination with a sound file? I have imported the sound from the original Quake but I am naive to the extent on how to use them together. I am unable to get sparks to appear on the screen at all. Thank you for your time.

Black/White

You don't actually need the Quake spark sound, as ZDoom already has the Quake 2 one built in. Just follow Biffy's example and it should be fine.

You can also set arg1 on the sparks object to tell the object how many spark particles to generate every time it is activated. If you leave it at 0, I think it produces a default number of some sort.

Thank you all for helping me with my immediate problem. That is, all but Epyo, considering that I fail to see the relevance of his statement considering if I would have known, I probably wouldn't have asked the question. Regardless, I am thankful for your time as it has, in fact, answered my question.

Black/White