Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

server update

i will have my server, the actual computer, tomarrow. I will load LINUX and all the doom stuff on it as well and get it set up. however i must wait until i get DSl to run it, i should have DSL as soon as mid september, or at latest december some time. until then i have no new updates

Hey man what distro of Linux are you going for? Perhaps this little tale will amuse or maybe even lend you some knowledge.

I wanted to try Linux for the fuck of it. No real reasoning, hey, maybe it's even a decent OS. So I picked up a copy of Mandrake 8.0. The installer crashed halfway through my first two install attempts. I finally got it going and it ran great the first time.

Of course, being blessed with a Conextant HFC 56k modem I'd have better chances of connecting to the Internet with my wristwatch.

The second time I ran it it was suddenly like slow-motion... everything took 3 to 4 times longer to do. That GLTron game went from a few hundred FPS to about 0.0 FPS. Pathetic. Half the damn programs decided to quit working and I was thoroughly sick of Linux.

So I try to use the formatting tool to get my 2nd harddrive back. It refused to let me make the first partition a FAT32, it had to be EXT2. Whoopie. Well I cut up my disk and went back into Windows.

That damn LILO thing was getting on my nerves at this point too.

Well, somehow Linux completely b0rked my Maxtor and Partition Magic just lists it as 'bad' and won't fucking touch it. FDISK won't even touch it. I have about 3 gigs of space on it I can use in Windows, right now I have Max Payne installed on it. I want my 9 gigs back Godammit, I think Norton Disk Doctor will do the trick.

It was about this time that the boot loader just started displaying "LI" and locking up. Very, very cute. A bootable-CD and fdisk /mbr later and at least my Western Digital drive is behaving somewhat.

The lessen? Fuck Mandrake. It's really easy to get into and use but Christ, it's about as reliable as installing Linux on a toilet. All you can do is flush and hope it completely goes away.

I wanted to try Linux for the fuck of it. No real reasoning, hey, maybe it's even a decent OS. So I picked up a copy of Mandrake 8.0. The installer crashed halfway through my first two install attempts. I finally got it going and it ran great the first time.

The one time I tried to install Mandrake (7.x) it also crashed repeatedly while in package selection. All this for a distro that's allegedly easy to install and use.

you must not be doing something right if u can not get mandrake linux installed. I have had no troubles with it, not one freeze or crash. linux is a great OS if u know alot and take time to get its setting correct. first i used redhat linux but it did not work because i did not know how to set it up. dont give up on linux take some time to learn about it

arioch@despayre:~$ uname -a

Linux despayre 2.4.7-ac6 #1 Sun Aug 5 14:08:27 EDT 2001 i686 unknown

arioch@despayre:~$ uptime

10:13:55 up 18:57, 5 users, load average: 0.29, 0.18, 0.06

... but I couldn't get mandrake to install.

I'm on debian, btw.

First grade english class?

No smartass its how to have Christmas in August. Take a glass. Fill it 1/3rd of the way with peppermint schnapps, 1/3rd the way with green mint fuck I forgot what it is, and the last 1/3rd is grenadine. They're called Christmas Canes, and after about five of 'em you just can't stop pissing Christmas cheer on everything you do.

As for Linux, yeah I'm sure it's great but I would probably like it better if it had programs to run and didn't skullfuck my Maxtor and all.

Debian is definitely good. Me, arioch, cph, Jon and tom_ all run it on our various machines. The only thing is that you generally have to know quite a bit about how to use it already or you'll be lost.

Whenever anybody asks me about trying linux, I always tell them that they have to be willing to take the time to learn how to use the system. It isnt like Windows where you can just install it and point and click your way around to do stuff (at least not yet). You need to learn how the system works to be able to use it properly. This is probably why distributions such as Mandrake arent particularly good in the long term - they may be easy to install but you do so without learning anything. And when you do get problems you have no idea how to fix them.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better, I tried to install NetBSD yesterday and the installer wiped my partition table. I had to rebuild the partition table BY HAND :)

Oh yeah that makes me feel absofuckinglutely wonderous inside, like a warm bowl of bamboo.

By the way, if you have even a decent internet connection, you should right click here and choose save as... this is the single from the latest album of my favorite Goddamn band out there.

Like most videos it makes no sense whatsoever but hey, what the hell. At least it's the kind of thing that MTV refuses to play, what with the absence of hiphop rhymes or at least a backwards baseball cap somewhere. ^_^