Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Sprites

NOTE: This is my opinion, and as it is so, do not flame me for it.//end note

There's just a couple gripes with the sprites. It's the enemies I'm talking about. The two that I do not like (and I think don't really seem to fit in) are the snake-looking thing that passes for the Imp and the skeleton/half-invisible skeleton that replaces the Demon.
Very not Doomish IMHO.

Arioch said:

Don't like? Make a better one.

kthx.

I'm not much of an artist in reality (tm), let alone a sprite artist. kthxbye.

hmmm... well, jon and fredrik was making a new imp, right?
Because that snake man look like a heretic/hexen enemy, not doom. :)

TorntheDark said:

hmmm... well, jon and fredrik was making a new imp, right?
Because that snake man look like a heretic/hexen enemy, not doom. :)

Yes, it's strongly reminiscent of the Ophidian from Heretic. With some Alien or something mixed in.

The skeleton sprite would look ok if Freedoom were a Conan the Barbarian TC, but it's not. It just doesn't look right, IMHO. Very out of place.
Sorry if I offend/have offended/will offend the artist(s) who did the skeleton sprite.

The skeleton was just chucked in as a filler - it wasn't designed specifically for freedoom.

I've deleted my WIP imp sprites as I won't have enough time to complete them. They weren't salvageable or workable by anyone else so don't worry. I was just doing an alien-grey style alien, with a arm-stump weapon thing which had talons on it, so the ranged and close attacks would look ok. Sound-effects wise, the alien was going to make noises akin to a whisper, and I was planning on having the imp fireball green.

I decided it isn't fair for me to try and impose my views as to how freedoom should develop if I can't give it much time anymore, so I'm cutting loose my assigns and just finishing up e1m1, then I'm done.

Jon said:

so I'm cutting loose my assigns and just finishing up e1m1, then I'm done.

:(

Arioch said:

Don't like? Make a better one.

"You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables." - Dr Johnson

This may sound stupid but, how does FreeDoom work, can anyone submit a texture or sprite to the library and they'll be formatted to work with Doom, is that it?

Xanthier said:

This may sound stupid but, how does FreeDoom work, can anyone submit a texture or sprite to the library and they'll be formatted to work with Doom, is that it?

Read.

Xanthier said:

They wont be formatted for you. You are welcome to submit material to freedoom, however it should be ready to be simply dropped straight into the wad.

fraggle said:

They wont be formatted for you. You are welcome to submit material to freedoom, however it should be ready to be simply dropped straight into the wad.

Okay, I think i get it- so it's mainly WADS that people submit, or levels rather, so if I made a level I could try and submit it to a number of places community chest, free-doom etc?
But if I'm a newbie wad designer it'd probably be best to submit it to review sites before ever contributing to a mega-wad... what would you suggest?