Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lazer

Colored water in Boom. How?

This is one of the few things I don't know about Boom editing. How do I color my water? I know it has to do with the COLORMAP, but I don't know anymore than that. Help!

I'll cut+paste this from the last thread on this subject:

This works with any Boom-compatible engine:

I'm assuming you want a scene like the following, where the above view of the pool would look like this, and the below view of the pool would look like this.

Take a look at this screenshot in Deep of a dummy sector which is tagged to some deep-nukage sectors. The line highlighted yellow is the tag line and the tagged sectors are highlighted red. Now these are the tagline properties. Apparently Photoshop in all it's advanced technical glory doesn't have an oval tool like MS Paint, but note the bottom texture of the dummy line. If you want to color the under-liquid portion of the sector, there's GRNMAP, BLUMAP, YELMAP and REDMAP "textures" available by default (and presumably you can add your own color maps through use of a mapping program like InkWorks, but we won't go into that now). Pick whichever colormap you want and place it on the bottom slot of that tagline like in the 4th picture, and you'll get the same effect as the in-game screenshots above.

Yes, deep water sectors are created in a very similar manner in WadAuthor. (Of course you'll need the appropriate configuration file.) The main difference is that in DeePSea, you can reference the underwater color using the lower texture of the linedef in the dummy sector that's tagged to the deep water sector, and use a text or numeric label for the color (as Lut indicated). In WadAuthor, you can use the same text or numeric labels for the color, the underwater color will appear fine, but when you run the error check in WA, it will tell you that the texture is not found. That's not really a problem, as you're getting the intended underwater color effect and nothing else is adversely affected.

So I go it working, but there is one slight problem. I only get the option of a lower texture called WATERMAP. It has the function that BLUMAP would have. I don't see a REDMAP or GRNMAP... I also see COLORMAP, but that appears to do nothing.

Uhhh... can't you just type the texture in regardless of whether it exists in the list or not?

If not, I suppose you could make a dummy WAD with those entries as wall texture, load that in the editor but obviously leave it alone when you play the map.

There is a problem though. All of those textures do nothing when I start up my wad. Only WATERMAP works. I got the CMAPTOOL and tried adding in the different colormaps as lumps and then using the names of those as the lower texture name, and that doesn't seem to work either. Who here has done this before?!?

Hm... you do have to have the actual colormaps in the WAD you're loading. They should be loaded as "data" in WinTex and placed between the C_START and C_END entries, much like flats. Otherwise without those loaded, it won't have anything to color the underliquid with.