Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Pain in the ass maps

What, in your opinion, is/are the most annoying map(s) of all time from ANY firstperson shooter?

Mine would prolly be...

Doom 2: The Chasm

Doom is not meant to have entire levels based on creeping around on 6 inch wide ledges. 'Nuff said.

Hexen: Gibbet

Yeah, the one you go to when you fix the clock in the castle of grief hub...
I don't have a problem with the map nowadays, but my first time through hexen, I died more on this frikkin map then in the entire rest of the game.

Those are mine for the time being. I'll post more if I can think of them.

Any level on Hexen with those damn spikes that pop out of the ground.

I've only been hit by one of those once in my entire time playing hexen, and it was in the korax battle.

Heh, I remember the first time I played, getting killed over and over again in that desert level that's in the dark forest(?) hub.

Uhmm... I think the level is wastelands, and the hub is Shadow wood.

But yeah, In all my hexen playing time, I must have died from enemy damage 2 times, and from the level enviornment 100 times.

doom e2m6: command center.

god i hate that level.

i used to hate the doom 2 level "the pit" but it's grown on me. actually command center is the only level i hate from any doom.

except for icon of sin. waste of time.

I don't mind command center too much...the Courtyard was annoying too, because it was only after I'd trekked through the entire level did I realize I could have simply gotten a key and walked into a teleport to end the level.

Gawd do I hold a grudge against the courtyard... I did the entire level the first five or so times I played it, until I realized it takes about a minute and a half if you dont' bother to kill everything.

You have to admit that letting all of the enemies out on the Courtyard and letting them all fight each other is fun!

You have to admit that letting all of the enemies out on the Courtyard and letting them all fight each other is fun!

Hell yeah. It's why I didn't list it in my annoying maps.

The Chasm rules.

Gibbet's only annoying because the end script usually never works and you get stuck in the level.

E2M6 is Halls of the Damned, not Control Center.

I meant Control Center. I love Halls of the Damned. I remember the surprise I got when I stepped into the false exit for the first time.... Ah the memories.

I hate Control Center. Thank god the secret exit is so close to the start of the level that I'm out of that terrible level right away.

Hah, for some reason Control Center was one of the most memorable levels for me. I loved that one Skin/Tech room near the end, just the way they made so many different walls flow together inspired a few scenes that I made as well.

But yeah, Halls of the Damned whoops that level, although my only complaint with Control Center was the weird flow, it was just too big for the little content that it had.

Dark Citadel for Doom 64

When I first played Doom 64, I was stuck on this level for days. Plus, the music drove me nuts and the atmosphere was just too freaky!

It doesn't annoy me as much now though

Yeah, I'm with him there. Waste of time.
put ALL of the first Quake and All of Quake 3 on my list too!
Among other things like Rise of the Triad..

I was able to do this ONCE.

That Hexen level... um, wastelands or something. Outside. The walls come down to a swamp and a castle an shit, starts out in a desert-like area where you go through caves.

Right when you start there's that down area with Ettins and a area across from you with brown serpents. Spikes come out of the ground down there.

With Baratus... that 90 mile an hour running freakass... I was able to peel out, run across, jump, LAND ON ONE OF THE SPIKES, jump again (just hold jump) and jump to the serpents where I promptly shit my pants because I did it on ACCIDENT and ended up face to face with a couple serpents! I was just trying to get a running start on those Ettins.

See if you can do it too. Doing it intentionally... I bet it's impossible. =)

Dark Citadel for Doom 64

WHAT?! Dark Citadel is one of my favorites! By the way, how did you get stuck?

Blue Key - in middle of room with spear-throwers and barons of hell.

Red Key - Past the citadel's basement library.

Yellow Key - In middle of the citadel's courtyard.

I remember my first times trying to complete Spawned Fear. I could never figure out how to get my hands on that yellow skull key. No matter how many times I tried to get to it, I failed. But then a couple of months later, I finally found out about the strafe-run technique.

deadnail, I've probably done that at least once, too. Then I just beat the fuck out of 'em with the hammer of retribution...I love that word...retribution...hehehe

Spawning Vats is just annoying, and so is E2M9. House of Pain, and E3M5 for those damn teleports. Limbo had me stuck for days and days when I first played it. E4M1 was the only map in Thy Flesh Consumed to put up resistence.

Map08, Map12-16, Map24-25, Map27 from DOOM II.

Limbo had me stuck for days and days when I first played it.

Another one of my favorites. Probably because I got stuck on it once.

I just tried it and got 32 seconds the 2nd time... 22 shouldn't be too hard, considering I botched a few times.