Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cacodreams

Flat problems in WADAuthor

OK, I don´t know if someone else has already mentioned this problem, but it´s a new problem for me anyway :p

It´s just with me or anybody has already had problems in flat allignment (if we can call it that way) in WADAuthor? I mean, WADAuthor uses to allign the flat of a inner sector taking the most outer sector flat as a base. That´s very annoying when I want to create a nice-looking ceiling light, for example. I have seen this in maps built in WADAuthor, but not so often, so that´s why I´m making this question.

Another question: is there some remedy? (don´t try to tell me to change the editor >:/ because, except for that bug, WADAuthor is my favorite editor!)

What on earth do you mean? Something to do with the light level?

And the floor and ceiling flats are aligned with the blue + marks on the grid.

No, there´s nothing to do with the light level of the sector nor the grid. What I mean is, when you make a 64X64 sector and apply, let´s say, the TLITE6_1 flat, what would you expect to see when you run the map? The square light in TLITE6_1 flat in the VERY MIDDLE of the 64x64 sector, isn´t it? But what I am getting is: "sometimes" half the square light of the flat in an edge of the sector (cut by one linedef that limits the 64x64 sector) and the other half of the light on the opposite edge. Was I clearer now?

(Well, maybe it has something to do with the grid: maybe if I move that 64x64 sector to the sides a little I can center the square light in the middle of the sector, but definitely this is not practical :(

It has nothing to do with Wadauthor but with Doom itself.

Doom aligns all flats to a 64x64 grid.

When making ceiling lights and such things I would recommend that you use a 64x64 grid and "snap to grid".

Another annoying thing about Wadauthor: When viewing flats in the pull-down menu they are rotated 45 degrees from what they will actually appear in the level. This is annoying when using mulitple part flat images such as the big demon head in pentacle.

Cacodreams said:

No, there´s nothing to do with the light level of the sector nor the grid. What I mean is, when you make a 64X64 sector and apply, let´s say, the TLITE6_1 flat, what would you expect to see when you run the map? The square light in TLITE6_1 flat in the VERY MIDDLE of the 64x64 sector, isn´t it? But what I am getting is: "sometimes" half the square light of the flat in an edge of the sector (cut by one linedef that limits the 64x64 sector) and the other half of the light on the opposite edge. Was I clearer now?

It's to do with the 64x64 grid. Each blue square contains the whole flat. If a sector is not directly over one of the blue squares, the flat will not be aligned properly. The only way is to try and place your ceiling lights in a square properly.

But remember that there are some flats (eg. TLITE6_5) that you can get away with using the 32x32 grid for, and thus gaining a proper alignment, even if you're not on the 64x64 grid properly.

My advice for your ceiling light problem is to use TLITE6_5 or TLITE6_6 instead, as (given the sector's position you describe) changing it to one of those will solve the problem.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

And the floor and ceiling flats are aligned with the blue + marks on the grid.

Little Faith said:

Doom aligns all flats to a 64x64 grid.

Maybe these are all true. To discover, I´m gonna make some tests, building a 64x64 sector exactly in the blue + marks and applying the light flats (why haven´t I done that yet? :)

Ultimate DooMer said:

It's to do with the 64x64 grid. Each blue square contains the whole flat. If a sector is not directly over one of the blue squares, the flat will not be aligned properly. The only way is to try and place your ceiling lights in a square properly.

But this is rarely possible and, again, not practical, because the ceiling light that has to be properly positioned inside a room-sector, and not the contrary.

Little Faith said:

Another annoying thing about Wadauthor: When viewing flats in the pull-down menu they are rotated 45 degrees from what they will actually appear in the level. This is annoying when using mulitple part flat images such as the big demon head in pentacle.

Don´t you mean 90. degrees? Oh, so it´s that! ;) I hadn´t noticed that the flat are rotated when displayed in the menu, so I couldn´t figure out why the CONS1_* flats were never in the way I expected when running the map.