Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Mappers and mod grips

YES!!! I hate it when you don't know what a switch did upon activating it. Especially (!!!) when you are in the later stages of the level and are stumped on where to go next.
PS (if i did this in any of my levels, someone would have told me about it right?).

Sorry to revive a dead thread. (hee, rhyme)

Ct_red_pants said:

Are there things that you wish people would stop putting/doing in there maps? to many/little monsters/health/items/ammo? maybe a texture your just sick of seeing, or a mistake that far too many people make. Well post 'em here. but try to be constrictive.

Those ASHWALL textures. Most of them are just plain sucky. Truly for hell.

I wish people stop putting shit loads of mismatch textures on maps.
First you start out in a tech base...then a few steps later your in a Hell textured gstone wood area,and finally a combo of both.

ravage said:

Sorry to revive a dead thread. (hee, rhyme)

Those ASHWALL textures. Most of them are just plain sucky. Truly for hell.

I personally like ashitty, but that's the only one, the others plain suck...low detail and it's unclear what it's even supposed to be. i mean a bunch of stacked bloody heads, what could be cooler, this is way under-utilized.

PLEASE tell me if my maps end up crappy in any of these ways, like indecisive themes, I read a little on tutorial for editing, but that one's obvious IMO, sounds like some of the people just need mapmaking 101.

Mapmaking 101? How much a credit? Is it a full semester class? Which college has it?

Oh no! I'm becoming a little trool here huh? /me smacks head

welll i read over some of the map making 101 thingys on the net and frankly i can't stand stupid maps so im gonna make sure my first ones are small enough that i can't screw anything up, and if i release them and they suck then i'll give up, some of the maps i've seen im just like WTF ok why would some people release this crap

so i wanna make sure mine flow b4 im gonna release anything im a sucker for detail

Personally, I think that the following is lacking in maps really:

1) An 'encounter' at the end of each level. Like the imp invasion (Kinda) at the end of map16 or the cybie in map29, something climactic to round off the level.
2) Custom textures, for a new atmosphere. But then, I just get sick of playing the same old themes, with the exception of that luvverly Q2-esque dark tech base one ;)
3) Humour. This is tied to #2, really, but just hide away something remotely funny, as an easter egg.
4) Variety. Yeah, keep to the same theme, but (And I've fallen prey to this myself) and entirely metal2 level is no good for anything except overfamiliarity.
5) Dehacked/bex trickery. It can add some real flourish to a levelset, that has some port-specific features converted to a more universal standard. (Personally, I like to make invisible, non-clipping, non-shootable SS soldiers with no attacks roam around levels with an ambient sound for their breathing and all other sounds removed. Sneaky, but it works. Well.)