Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csabo

Changing Baron of Hell projectile height

I have question: is it possible to change the (initial) height of the Baron of Hell/Hell Knight shot? If one replaces the baron of hell sprites with a larger or smaller sprite, the shots won't come from the right place (they will appear too low or too high). So can this be edited? If so, how?

One more thing: is it possible to enter numeric constants in hex in 'text' files for ZDooM? I've tried "0xnnnn" and "$nnnn", but both of those are interpreted as zeroes. For Dehacked editing it would be so much nicer to be able to use 0x800000 (=128 height of a sprite, for example) than 8388608. I suspect that ZDooM only accepts plain decimal numbers. Does anyone (Enjay) know if Randy been asked about this? It probably wouldn't be a big change.

You could workaround the problem with the sprite offsets, I suppose, providing there's not too much of a height change, else then the collision will appear to be wrong.

I run into this problem all the time. I'd have to work with the code (jdoom.dll, jhexen.dll, etc.) to get it just right. Sprite offsets might work for small changes, but you have to make a large adjustment, there will be problems, especially if someone tries to dodge one of these and it hits them anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I did think of changing the sprite offsets, that would be my fallback solution. So there is no other way to do this in ZDooM? That height has got to be in there somewhere...

I think the answer will be no unless you want to play around with the source, and make your own port.

I don't remember the detail, but Randy Heit explained that even the revenant firball appearing higher than the other projectiles is done via a work around. Something like it is spawned at the normal height and instantly moved up.

As a BTW side issue, I noticed, when spawning Hexen monsters into a Doom game (using Zdoom) some of the Hexen monsters fire projectiles higher than the doom monsters (specifically the green and brown demons). Unless you change the height of the Doom player, these projectiles fly harmlessly over your head. Of course, changing the height of the Doom player could then mean you couldn't get along corridors you were supposed to because you were too tall.