Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

DCK, and Z-Doom and J-Doom Oh my!!!

I just got my comp so attempting to install all these doom utils i ran into some problems.

When I tried to run J-doom for instance i got this error:

CON_Init: Initializing the console.
Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon.
24.0 Mb allocated for zone.
ZoneBase: 0x1C4000C.
Parsing configuration files.
Display mode: 640 x 480 x 16.
drOpenGL.Init: OpenGL driver not accelerated!
Use the -allowsoftware option to bypass this.

I've seen the option in the cmdline.txt but where do i go from there?
Thanks

Well, heh, run "j-doom" on software mode then. You know, there's a disfunction between the topic and the post... "z-doom" and DCK?

If your computer just can't run either of the three, well...

Well it wasn't running any of them for all different reasons but Z-Dooms was yet to be posted. How do i run on software mode..forgive me but i'm totally clueless.

I don't think it makes sense to run that engine on software mode since its main purpose is hardware acceleration, but it's telling you right there, to add the -allowsoftware parameter.

myk said:

I don't think it makes sense to run that engine on software mode since its main purpose is hardware acceleration, but it's telling you right there, to add the -allowsoftware parameter.

maybe I'll try Z-Doom

Xanthier said:

maybe I'll try Z-Doom

That's probably a good idea, as ZDoom is easy to set up and doesn't cause any trouble (but make sure you have v1.23 beta 33, the latest version).
JDoom looks great, but so does ZDoom on 800x600 or higher.

That engine is good only if you have a powerful graphics card...

Z-Doom wotked fine, can someone refresh me on its main features, so far i only noticed text updates and blood splats, jumping, is one, is there two-floored sectors?

You won't notice too many features, until you play a ZDoom-specific wad. (eg. Dark7) Then you'll see all the cool new features this amazing port has....

(btw, it supports Hexen features)

Ultimate DooMer said:

You won't notice too many features, until you play a ZDoom-specific wad. (eg. Dark7) Then you'll see all the cool new features this amazing port has....

(btw, it supports Hexen features)

Forgive my stupidity, how do i load a wad with Z-Doom? maybe i missed it but it always loaded the Doom wad...was there a config i missed?
or do i use DOS?

I think the latest version asks where it is at startup, or can be made to do so by modifying a setting in the INI file. Otherwise you can always make a batch file with the -iwad parameter and the path to the IWAD. for other WADs use the -file parameter as usual, or I think you can drag the WAD's icon onto the EXE and it will launch it,, or something like that.

Xanthier said:

Forgive my stupidity, how do i load a wad with Z-Doom? maybe i missed it but it always loaded the Doom wad...was there a config i missed?
or do i use DOS?

If you have all the iwads in the same folder, then do this:

zdoom -iwad doom/doom2/plutonia/tnt/heretic.wad -file whatever.wad

If you have them in different folders (like me) then it's just:

zdoom -file whatever.wad

myk said:

That engine is good only if you have a powerful graphics card...

Not necessarily true.
I'm running a lowly P2-350, with an nVidia TNT2 32mb graphics card, and the game runs smoothly in both OpenGL and D3D modes.

The only slowdowns i encounter are with massive amounts of linedefs on screen (even this is easily tolerable), or with more than 20-odd models visable at any one time. For this reason i disable 3d models and stick with sprites.

Spike said:

Not necessarily true.
I'm running a lowly P2-350, with an nVidia TNT2 32mb graphics card, and the game runs smoothly in both OpenGL and D3D modes.

P2-350 here, without the graphic card. And JDoom dont even run so...

Mr. NobodX said:

P2-350 here, without the graphic card. And JDoom dont even run so...

The 3d card only cost me 30 quid from a trade counter.