Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Ok..now what?

SO i have WAdauthor making my map but i goto run it and it says, error: could not change directory..i know it's something stupid i'm doing cause i can launch it outside of WA..with 95 or Z-Doom...
Is my iwad in the wrong place for testing my levels, help someone.

This is what you'll see in one of your WadAuthor configuration files. This is from my doom2.wcf file:

; Defines general parameters of the game for which wadfiles are intended.
;
; Name textual name for internal use
; IWAD standard 8.3 base name and extension of main wadfile
; NewMap default name for new map -- dictates format for all maps
; Directory directory in which main wadfile (and game files) reside
; Run command to execute (from the directory) for running a map

[WadGame]
Name=DOOM ][: Hell On Earth
IWAD=DOOM2.WAD
NewMap=MAP01
Directory=C:\Files\DOOM2
Run=doom2.exe -file $_Wadfile -warp $_Wadmap

This works OK. What does not seem to work is launching zdoom in this way. This is from my zdoom.wcf file:

[WadGame]
Name=ZDoom (Hex)
IWAD=zdiwhack.wad
NewMap=MAP01
Directory=C:\files\editors\zdoom
Run=zdoom.exe -file $_Wadfile -warp $_Wadmap

Everything is in the directory noted, including zdoom.exe, zdoom.wad and fmod.dll, but zdoom just does not want to run via the WadAuthor command shell or whatever it is (warun.exe).

You are probably best off just making a zdoom shortcut on your desktop, with the -file argument pointing to your wad in progress, and just double click on it to check what you've done. You don't even have to close WadAuthor, just save the file so zdoom can read the changes from disk.

VileSlay said:

yeah, I can't get wads to run from WA either. I don't stress it though. I just run it outside.

Most likely you are using long filenames or directories or with imbedded blanks.

Biffy said:

This works OK. What does not seem to work is launching zdoom in this way.

You have the correct settings for the zdoom.wcf file, but you also need to have the following line included at the top of your wauthor.ini file:

[DEBUG]
NoWARun=1

Ultimate DooMer said:

You have the correct settings for the zdoom.wcf file, but you also need to have the following line included at the top of your wauthor.ini file:

[DEBUG]
NoWARun=1

Thanks! Where in the world did you come up with this information?

Good old Rick Clark and his ZDooM tutorials.

I wonder why the help file with WadAuthor doesn't have this type of information.

I don't think zdoom existed at the time the current version of WA was completed...at least I was not aware of zdoom then, we all played doom2.exe via DWANGO and also the Sirdoom front end.

Execute Warun manually and you'll see for yourself -he's forcing a DOS shell that can't run window pgms. However, Warun was never needed - obviously, since you can bypass for DOOM too (IIRC - I'm going by what I do in DeePsea). I suspect he was trying to free memory - not as big deal in Windows as it is in pure DOS.

For stock DOOM, there can't be any long file names either - a DOOM problem in decoding ~. Even ZDOOM has problems here (last time I checked) from a response file.

I just run zdoom and legacy etc using the "tools" setup in wadauthor. In short I make any windows doom port a tool of wadauthor. It's handy, and it works great.

deep said:

For stock DOOM, there can't be any long file names either - a DOOM problem in decoding ~. Even ZDOOM has problems here (last time I checked) from a response file.

ZDooms not the only source port that has problems with file/path name decoding: while I was coding ESL I found that most of them can't handle it :(

Lobo said:

ZDooms not the only source port that has problems with file/path name decoding: while I was coding ESL I found that most of them can't handle it :(

You are right. I didn't find a single port that fixed the ~ issue - parsing stops at that character. I posted this in the ZDOOM forum long time ago yet was never fixed.

Just curious - which port works? I only tested the most common ports and can't even remember which ones they were ATM:)

Maybe I don't understand everything you are talking about. For me, zdoom has no problem understanding this in the path to a wad:

Folder with wad is c:\New Folder

Zdoom -file \newfol~1\mywad.wad works just fine.

Biffy said:

Maybe I don't understand everything you are talking about.

As I stated, a ~ in Response Files hiccups in DOOM or any port I tested. Could be one of them works now. -file is ok.

Lobo said:

I was talking about this, not "Response Files". I don't know what those files are, no "maybe" about it.

Response files rule the earth and sky!
Ah, must finish my page... I talk long and hard about them there and how to take advantage of them.